Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The art of writing a short story.

2»

Comments

• Reality bites the dust!
  • Isabella - you mention your pile of old newspapers and the man who killed himself with aluminium phosphate (or whatever it was). OK, that could be turned into a story, but you are missing the obvious. The pile of newspapers themselves would form a great basis for a story. Imagine what your main character might find while sorting through them, what memories or bits of welcome or unwelcome news might be lurking there.
  • Yes, you're right, Richt. That's a similar thought to the one I had yesterday about my mother's button tin - and as I'm thinking about the memories in my button tin I'm reminded of a Dolly Parton song - Coat of Many Colours, I think. A patchwork quilt would work in the same way, wouldn't it?
  • edited January 2008
    Hmm. The Chippendales. Might post something from one of my stories ...

Thought the coat belong to Joseph?
  • Ah, Jay, *THAT* coat is in verse 2 :)
  • edited January 2008
    How did you do that smilie- don't tell me you did your reply in Word and pasted it?

I have since discovered the smilies.
  • edited January 2008
    Excerpt from 'Taxi for Mr Smith' from the 'Slubberdegullion' collection.

"Anyway, I wanted to go to the sales. Guess what I was going to buy."
    "I give in."
    "You give in too easily."
    "That's not the general opinion. What, then?"
    "Sheets."
    "Sheets? What's funny about sheets? Oh, no, you were going to get ones with the Chippendales all over them."
    "Would you come with me to see them?"
    "The Chippendales? Do you know how loud girls can scream?"
    "You haven't heard how loud I can scream!"
    "Definitely not, then."
  • I had a reference to the Chippendales in a story that was published in Take a Break Fiction Feast, so you could always try elsewhere.
    People's Friend are very particular (and they don't pay that well either) but at least they let you know what they didn't like. They accepted (and paid for) one of mine in November 2006 but it still hasn't been published.
  • At least you got paid then, and aren't still waiting.
  • Just tried something. Yep, you can edit even if someone else has posted something after your post. Seems to be done on a time basis.
  • Yes, Carol, I'd still like to see it in print though!
  • Obviously. But it would be much worse to be having to wait until publication to be paid.
  • Indeed it would!
  • That's the plan, Heather (to send it elsewhere) but I don't think this particular story is TAB material.
  • Heather, I sold one to PF around October 2006 and that's still awaiting publication too. Admitedly the money isn't great but they publish so many stories that at least it's a regular market if you can figure out what they want. Also they are very prompt with payment and the editor is helpful. She will often give feedback if a story is a 'near miss' and that sometimes means you can do a successful rewrite.
  • Thanks Lily. That gives me more confidence that it hasn't been forgotten or (horror!) they changed their mind.
    Yes, I do appreciate their comments. Mine was accepted after a rewrite along their suggested lines. It makes it easier to see what they really want in a concrete way, doesn't it? Although having said that a couple of times I have thought 'Did you actually read the story?' as their comments seemed to have missed the point. Maybe that was the problem - the point wasn't sharp enough!