Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

how to send it out?

edited January 2011 in - Writing Problems
Hi
I want to send out a series of short childrens story`s for picture books .Do you send out as you would like to see it printed, small sections on one page, or do you send it out as one complete story say on two pages , and let the publisher( if accepted) decide how to break the story up?

Comments

• I honestly don't know, Jenny. Is there anything on Tracy's blog which answers this one? She seems to have covered virtually every topic there is!
  • Are you providing the pictures as well as the stories ? If so, I would suggest that you send it as you would like to see it printed.It would also depend on the length of the stories and how many sentences per page. "Picture books" can range from one word per picture to a paragraph or longer. You would need to know how many pictures to how much text ... I think.
  • Hi Jennymf

I'm not an expert but the things I've picked up are...

DON'T send pictures unless you are a professional illustrator. Many publishers have their own illustrators they like to use. And if you do decide to send illustrations send them separately ie not inserted into the text.

DON'T break it up into how you imagine the final book would look.

But always check publishers guidelines for info.

Hope that helps
    Tracy
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, I agree with Tracy on the illustrations, never send them. Someone once told me that they would turn someone down if they liked the story but not the pictures. (this was after an artist illustrated a book for me, and the publishers didn't like them one bit!)
  • edited January 2011
    thanks for help, no I was not sending illustrations, I know they dont like it. I will check out guide lines
  • As far as I understand it, so long as you include appropriate breaks where you visualise the next page starting then that is fine. I would include some sort of indication of breaks as a lot of of the appeal and narrative of picture books is in the rhythm of the words and the pause between page turns adds to that. Imagine each page as a different chapter that needs to be differentiated.