Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Children's book series

edited December 2008 in - Writing Tales
Hi all,

I'm pretty much new here, and though I've mentioned this briefly in another post, I figured - what the Hell, I'm going to announce it here.

After approximately 13 years of trying to make it as an author, at the beginning of this month I signed a contract for a six book children's horror series with HarperCollins. I'm incredibly excited, despite the fact I now have a tight schedule of writing one book every six months (to final, polished draft stage) up until mid-2011.

All through school I was told my dream of being an author was ridiculous, and that I should concentrate on building a proper career in something sensible. I'm glad I didn't listen. :)

Cheers,

Barry

Comments

• Well done Barry. I'm really pleased for you :D
  • excellent news, Barry - may all go well for you.
  • edited December 2008
    CONGRATULATIONS!!
    I have always wanted to be an author and have always had people laugh at me too. I wrote my first novel last year but it was to prove I could write a full one. So now I am working on a young adult novel and am determined to send it in to publishers with hope that I will be accepted.
    How long has it taken for you to succeed?
  • Well done Barry :D
  • Well done! I write children's books too but am yet to find a publisher.
    What age are your books aimed at? And what are they about?
  • Oooh very good Barry!
  • Great news, Barry - congratulations on your success and all good wishes for your forthcoming series.
  • Brilliant news Barry. Congratulations.
  • Hi Barry, that's wonderful news.
    Spill the beans - how did you manage six at once?
  • Announce away, Barry. I love to hear about other writers' successes. Many congratulations!
  • Wonderful Barry, well done. And I'm so pleased that you didn't let that teacher's lack of imagination stop you from fulfilling your dream.
    May there be many more dreams that come to fruition.
  • Well done, Barry!
  • Good for you, Barry. It is very inspiring to hear this. In this house, we are also eagerly awaiting the new Ben 10 books.

Congratulations on all your successes.
  • Barry, I sometimes think that when people try and put us down (as my mother did with my writing for years) we are twice as determined to make it. I am so pleased to read this, I adore horror books and have some ideas for a medieval set but ... time doesn't permit me to write them at the moment. The field is entirely yours, with the wish that you become the next Christopher Pike!
  • [quote=dorothyd]The field is entirely yours, with the wish that you become the next Christopher Pike! [/quote]

Oh yes that would be good. I had an obssession with Christopher Pike. I spent all my pocket money on his books.
  • They were good, weren't they? Read them all.
  • Thanks everyone! Really touched by your comments.

Alana - Good for you. Getting the first one done is one of the biggest hurdles. I wrote one adult novel, then a 7-9 year old novel, then a 9-12 year old novel (which I'm releasing in a series of free installments on my blog). I knew none of them were good enough to be published, although they were all fun to write, and the third one was a hundred times better than the first. By that point, I'd learned enough to write my fourth one, which landed me an agent. It was this one that sold to HarperCollins. I've been writing various things - magazine articles, screenplays, etc - since I was about 17 with some VERY limited success, but I didn't turn to children's books until 2007.

kateyanne - This series is aimed at 9-12 year olds. It's a horror, but I can't say much more than that at the moment. It features what I think is a completely unique type of villain that I don't believe has been done in horror before. Once I'm allowed to say more, I'll share the full info ...

KJ - I was lucky in that I hit on quite a unique concept, which I felt could comfortably fill a six book series. I wrote the first one, then wrote short, single paragraph outlines of the next five, and my agent took it to publishers. Fortunately they liked it enough to go for it.

Josette - As soon as I know the publication date, I'll let you know. My own son can't wait for them to come out either!

dorothyd - I'm lucky in that my family have always been very supportive. I think hearing the negative stuff from school at such a young age really knocked my confidence, though, which is a terrible thing for a teacher to do.

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind comments from everyone. I THINK I've managed to answer all the questions, but if I've missed anyone, please just shout!

Barry
  • Great news, Barry. Congratulations. :)
    Been taking a nosey around your blog. Love some of the photos you've put up. ;)

I took a Ben 10 on holiday with me recently (first in series) to have a look see. Fun aren't they.

Sound like you're well set with your writing but I wish you well with the new series. Fascinated to know what or who your villian is. Guess I'll have to be patient...

I'm trying to write for kids too, so I love hearing about other people's successes in the field. Well, any writer's success is always good to hear to help keep us inspired in pursuit of our dream.

I'll be keeping an eye out for further news.
    Have fun
    Tracy
  • Hi Tracy,

Yes, the Ben 10s are a lot of fun. That said, though, I had about three weeks in which to write books three and four in the series, so it didn't feel quite so fun after the fifth or sixth all nighter! Got there in the end, though.
  • Blimey - now that's what I call a tight deadline!!!!
  • Hello, Barry. That's fantastic news. Good luck with the writing.
  • Just read this thread Barry - many congratulations! Sounds like you will be working hard - but then again, sounds like you're used to that anyway! Please keep us up to date on the whole process - I love success stories and am really interested in the whole process and how a book moves from the first draft to the final print, and beyond to marketing, publicity etc. I didn't realise the deadlines were so tight. I hope you've still got time to keep us posted on your progress!
  • Thanks guys!

Lou - I'll do my best to keep you updated here, but will also be putting all the latest news up on my blog. I started the blog while on a train to meet my (then potential) agent, and I'll carry it on all the way through publication and beyond.

The deadlines on the Ben 10 books were unusually tight. The plan was to have two writers, one for each book, but being a fan of the show, I was desperate to do both, so managed to convince the publishers to let me. Unfortunately they were both due in at the same time!
  • Hats off to you, Barry. You're an inspiration to us wannabes!
    It's good that you're sharing this with us in the current negative climate.
    Keep us posted.
  • Well done Barry!
  • Congratulations, BH. Brilliant news! Glad you shared it with us. :)
  • Well done Barry - sounds as if you are going to be busy in the foreseeable future - hope you still find time to drop in occasionally and let us know how it is all going (we're good on light relief here!) :)
  • This is brilliant - well done.
  • Wow, good for you Barry, how exciting, not a one book, two book or even three book deal, but an entire series! Brilliant!
  • Great to hear such good news and an inspiration and spur to everyone to keep going. Well Done.
  • Barry, that is fantastic, my you are going to be knackered by 2011 and quite unable to run in the Olympics the following year. well done, so great to hear someone's doing a stunner!
  • Sorry to drag this old topic up from the depths again, but some of you were interested to know what type of 'baddies' I was going to be writing about in my horror series. Well, I can now tell you!

The press release below went out today. The beans are well and truly spilled in there :)

HarperCollins Acquire Rights in Debut Horror Series

London, 23 January 2009:

HarperCollins Children’s Books is delighted to announce the acquisition of Invisible Fiends, a debut series by B. Hutchison. The six-book deal for world rights including TV, film and merchandise was concluded by Nick Lake, Commissioning Editor at HarperCollins, and Kathryn Ross at Fraser Ross Associates.

Described as Harry Potter meets Nightmare on Elm Street, Invisible Fiends is a fantastically original, darkly funny and shiver-inducing new horror series about what happens when 12-year-old Kyle’s imaginary friend from childhood comes back to life…with a vengeance! The series is aimed at children of 9+ and the first book, Invisible Fiends: Mr Mumbles, is scheduled for publication in early 2010. HarperCollins will be showcasing early proof copies at this year’s Bologna Book Fair.

Nick Lake said, “As unusual and terrifying as the monsters that people its pages, Invisible Fiends is one of those rare projects that combine a fresh premise, wonderfully accessible writing, and the sort of deft humour that makes the terror-sweats just about bearable. Anyone who likes laughing, or screaming, or preferably both at the same time, will love it."
  • Well done, Barry!
  • What wonderful news, Barry. I hope you become the next JKR!
  • Wonderful news Barry. Well done.
  • Sounds absolutely brilliant, Congratulations!!!!!
  • Fanastic Barry, well done
  • Brilliant! Love the publicity sheet!
  • Must get around to reading the link to this as well, stupid essay, stopping me do so much...
  • Congratulations and well done, Barry!
  • Such is the stuff that dreams are made of. Well done, Barry, particularly for your originality. We are told to read and read around the market we are aiming our writing at; but it is an original take, like yours, which seems to have agents/publishers biting your hand off.
  • Great news!
  • Your series sounds really exciting, Barry. My children are too old for it, so I'm just going to have to buy your books for myself.
  • Congratulations, Barry! Have you told WN?
  • Look forward to reading them. Great news.
  • Hello

After 13 years, you must now be feeling it has all been worth it.

Congratulations Barry.

Regards
    Dora
  • Thanks for your kind words everyone. :) I haven't been in touch with WN about it yet, nope. Maybe I should pitch them an article ...
  • That's a terrific press release! Never mind an article - get yourself showcased by 'em!
  • Which book in the series are you working on now? And, considering you've had to write a preview of the ending already, is it turning out how you planned?