Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Children's book series

Comments

• Hi Lou,

I finished the final draft of book one a few weeks ago, and am currently writing draft one of book two. When I finish draft one (about a week from now, all being well) I'll put it aside for a fortnight and plot out book three. The I'll do the second draft of book two, send it off to my editor, and start draft one of book three.

Then I'll basically repeat that until July 2011 when book six is due in :)

I've got the plot of book six pretty much worked out already, due to the sneak preview prologue thing, so it's nice to have something to aim towards. I can set little things in motion in each book which eventually pay off in book six.

If I remember ...
  • Well done Barry - that hectic schedule obviously paid off for you! - good luck with the new series. :)
  • Wow congratulations Barry. I am also trying to make it as a children's author, i've been sending my first book out to be viewed by agents and publishers. Well done after 13 years of trying to get published, that really has inspired me to never give up!
  • Hey all,

Just thought I'd drop by and give you all an update on how INVISIBLE FIENDS is going, since I'm learning that self-marketing is one of the most important skills any author can have (possibly even more than the ability to write!)

The series attracted a lot of attention at the Bologna Book Fair, and it is now out with publishers in every major territory across the globe. Last week we had our first foreign rights sale, although I can't yet reveal where from! It'll be strange seeing the book in a foreign language - just one more bit of weirdness to get to grips with over the next few months.

I submitted the 2nd draft of book 2 a few months ago. It was the first draft that my editor read, and - incredibly - there was virtually nothing that needed to be changed, other than the odd paragraph here and there. I was really nervous about submitting it (in case he hated it and we discovered book 1 was a fluke) so it was a nice surprise to get such positive feedback.

Film rights are being discussed, too, so hopefully something will happen there soon.

If anyone has any questions about how everything's going, or about what I'm learning about the publishing process, feel free to ask - either here, or on my website (linked to in my profile, I think!)

Cheers for now!

Barry
  • Congratulations again, Barry - a second draft that needed minimal changes is indeed impressive - well done! :)

Thanks for keeping us in the loop - it's great to follow your success - long may it continue.
  • Congratulations!
  • Great news.
  • That's great news. Keep the updates coming :-)
  • I am so excited for you, Barry!
  • really good stuff, keep us informed, Barry!
  • Thanks for the update. Well done!
  • Well done Barry.
    As a newbie here I have just gone through the thread of this post. If I am honest I am green with envy, but well done and congrats, its sounds a good read, and wow if a film, sounds so exciting
    well done again

Regards
    Jennymf
  • Heady stuff, Barry! And even vicariously I find this really exciting, I'm living this with you each new post.
    Can you still GET your head through your front door?
    Thought you could. You don't sound like the HugeHeaded type!
    ;)
  • Thanks, guys :)

You're right, ceka - egotism has never really been my cup of tea. I actually feel myself getting mildly embarrassed when discussing the books with anyone who asks me about them, although I suppose that's something I should really try to get over! Like I said before, self-marketing seems to be about the most useful skill an author can have these days.

This week I found out that there's a good chance the publication date is going to be moving forwards by a month, although I'm not yet 100% sure. If it does, it will mean the book comes out right at the start of January. This would probably mean it'd be in shops from just before Christmas, and in plenty of time for people to spend their Christmas book tokens on!

I also saw the finished artwork for the first book in the series on Wednesday, and was absolutely blown away by it. It's cool and creepy in equal measure, and makes me insanely jealous of the fact I can't draw to save my life. I'm not allowed to show it off quite yet, but as soon as it's up on my blog, I'll let you all know!
  • Wow, that sounds fantastic Barry, the artwork being perfect must feel great.
  • It sure does, Liz. It makes it all seem that much more real, being able to see the artwork, the blurb on the back, and my name on the front! Still very surreal, though.

The artist is Jonny Duddle, who also did the artwork for the Very Beastly Business series. This is a lot darker and more 'mature' though.
  • Brilliant - and thanks for keeping us informed. Looking forward to hearing about the next stage.
  • This is great news, Barry. Congratulations!
  • Keep posting us on this one, Barry
    Book tokens?
    I've got one of those from LAST Christmas, you just reminded me!
  • Just been told that Invisible Fiends: Mr Mumbles is available to pre-order on Amazon. Went to look, and sure enough, there it was!

http://tinyurl.com/mn3m4v
  • Ditto all the well dones, BH!
  • That's fantastic. I'll be ordering for my little sister.
  • Great stuff, caro - hope she likes it. What age is she?

Finally allowed to officially reveal the front cover now. What do you reckon?

http://www.barryhutchison.com/2009/07/invisible-fiends-revealed/
  • An eye-catching cover that kids will love.
  • Really good cover.
  • Cool cover!
  • Great cover.
  • Hello

Just read your random writing about the New Arms Race. :) Very funny. I'll be back for more another day.

See ya

Dora
  • just looked at this, great cover, Worzel Gummidge with menace ... nice one!
  • edited July 2009
    Love the cover!

And it seems I had the same thought as Dorothy and she beat me to the Worzel Gummidge comment lol
  • [quote=BarryHutchison]Finally allowed to officially reveal the front cover now. What do you reckon?[/quote]

Aarrrgggghhhhh! (runs behind sofa)
  • Yeah - love the cover. Congratulations Barry - your perseverence is surely inspiration for us all.
  • Seriously scary - love it!

Well done, Barry - yes, you are an inspiration.
  • My eleven year old son says

"Creepy. It's good. Looks like a profressional book cover."

:)
  • Cracking idea, different character peeping out each time. What's that guy in Nightmare on Elm Street called? looks like a cross between him and an older Oliver Tobias!
  • Thanks for the comments, everyone. Glad you all like the cover - particularly happy that your eleven-year-old likes it, dora :)

Funny you should mention Freddy Krueger, ceka. The series has been described as "Harry Potter meets A Nightmare on Elm Street"!

Incidentally, I'm now allowed to reveal that the German translation rights for the series recently sold to Beltz & Gelberg, so the books will be translated into German and published there just a few weeks after they're published here. Be really weird having my own book written in a language I can't understand!
  • How will you know if they've translated you correctly!
  • I know three German people, so I'm fine on that front.

If it sells to Norway, though, I'm screwed...
  • Sorry to dredge this old thread up from the dim and distant past, but some of you asked me to remind you when the first book in my Invisible Fiends horror series went on sale.

Well, it officially hits the shelves on 4th Feb, but Amazon are selling it now, with delivery promised by tomorrow! I'm happy to report that there are only 3 copies left in stock, so if you do want to buy one, now's the time to do so. :)

</Blatant self-promotion ends>
  • Congratulations Barry! Are you now on the promotional treadmill?
  • Congratulations and celebrations!
  • Congratulations Barry!
  • Great news, Barry. Good luck with it all.
  • Congratulations Barry.
  • Thanks everyone! Yes, the promotional treadmill has well and truly begun, Lou. Got a number of one-off events coming up, a two day tour of Glasgow and Edinburgh with multiple events each day, then some more one-off events and a book festival before a week-long UK tour in May. Tiring, but great fun :)
  • Well done Barry.
  • Great news, Barry. Well done and good luck.
  • FanTAStic!
    Well done, Barry!
  • Thanks for the reminder, Barry. All the best with the promotions.
  • Barry, if you have time can you do us a few bulletins about your tour? Would be great to hear what happens at these sort of events.