Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's in February 09's magazines due out 8th January?

2»

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Re the star letter in WN, the writer (Anne Wilks) says that on holiday she read books from the hotel library and found one in particular difficult to finish. She says that "after the slog of finishing the novel I still don't know what it was about".

She says that WM and WN tell would-be writers "to show not tell, not to overuse adverbs, not to mislead our readers, etc, and yet this book does all those things and more."

I wonder which author she is referring to. The only clue is that it's someone who has "a long list of published novels to her credit". If she mentioned the name in her original letter, WN presumably thought it wiser not to include it.
  • And what is the point of reading a novel if you don't know what it is about?
  • Or having to slog to finish it? Put it down and read something you enjoy - especially on holiday.
  • Maybe she regarded it as a challenge.
  • I'd rather enjoy a book than be bothered with the challenge - perhaps I'm lazy.
  • Well done Jay.
  • thanks, Jenny. I don't recognise the face but then, I only saw a blurred photo of Nik years back and I have the most appalling memory for faces!
  • Thanks. I've just noticed that the title of one of my books gets a mention on page 6 of Writing Magazine in the 'A word here and there' article: Slubberdegullion.
  • Well done, a mention is better than nothing. :)
  • Er ... it's not really my book - it's just the word I've used for the title. :-)
  • Who knows they may have read your book and discovered the word...:)
  • Has anyone read the article on pages 12-13 of Writing Magazine? It includes the following:

"Contemporary storylines are very much of today," and "These are current problems in today's world."

And what's wrong with doe eyes?
  • Nothing...
    Bit obvious those two- do you think they ran out of new things to say...?
  • edited January 2009
    In a different article on page 17, it says:

"Best car colour for a car?"

And, in yet another article, on page 32, we have:

"... trilogy comprised of the novels ..."
  • I've been complaining about their standards of editing for some time, it gets me nowhere. It's one reason I skim read and then pass the magazines on. No indepth reading there worth doing.