Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I know have an agent and Fallen Heroes has just been optioned for a potential TV Series

edited May 2009 in - Writing Tales
This week I signed an option agreement with Celtic Films in which, if they can get the backing, will adapt and produce Fallen Heroes as a major TV series or feature film. Of course this is all very early days and depends on a lot things coming together(if at all) but as far as I’m concerned this is still a huge achievement for the book

Celtic Films are the production company behind the Sharpe TV series, starring Sean Bean so they are no stranger to this kind of project. According to Celtic Films...

"Fallen Heroes" has the perfect assortment of intriguing characters, far flung locations and compelling plot twists and turns, all of which are the hallmarks of memorable TV drama.” Stuart Sutherland – Producer/Celtic Films Entertainment.

I now have also signed on with a literary agent who helped to negotiate the deal and who is now helping me to try and find a larger publisher for the book.

At the moment I am in the final stages of negotiating the contract (any day now) for the graphic novel adaptation to start work which is being adapted by, Martin Conaghan a BBC Journalist.

I will of course let you guys know how I get on.

Comments

• Wow! Well done.
  • Wow indeed, that's fantastic news Barry.
  • wonderful news!
  • Wow! Congratulations Barry!
  • Congratulations Barry! I remember seeing you in WN some time ago, I think it was when your book first came out. Fingers crossed that all goes well for you.
  • Congrats, Barry - that's fantastic news!
  • That sounds SO impressive! I really hope it all works out. Who would you like to see cast as your main character on screen?
  • great news.
  • Great news, Barry - the best of luck with the venture
  • Thanks all for all the kind words will keep you up to date on what happens
  • So much good news! Well done and I hope all turns out well, too.
  • Congratulations and best luck with the film
  • Brilliant Barry, what wonderful news, we'll definitely be looking out for it... don't forget to tall us when it's on...
  • That's wonderful - congratulations!
  • Tremndous news Barry, all the very best to you in for all possible success with Fallen Heroes and future projects.
  • Brilliant news Barry - congratulations and good luck! :)
  • Congrats Barry!
  • Fantastic can't wait to see it. I love Sharpe, well Sean Bean may have a lot to do with that :)
  • Great news Barry.
  • [quote=kateyanne]Fantastic can't wait to see it. I love Sharpe, well Sean Bean may have a lot to do with that[/quote]

Honestly Katie I'm keeping my feet on the ground about this. Books get optioned all the time and if it never gets any further then that's life. The important thing for me at the moment is that A) A well respected film company read and saw something in the book they liked. B)It will help to hopefully raise the profile of the book and C) Being offer the option was what landed me my agent.

So all in all I'm not getting my hopes but I've got a lot to be excited about.

Last night I looked at the latest revisions to the Graphic novel adaptation contract along with my agent and we're both happy so I just need to sign on the dotted line and send that back. I'm still a huge comic fan and to be honest that is the project I'm most excited about at the moment.
  • Congratulations, Barry! Best of luck with it. :)
  • congrats Barry! good luck with it all
  • Wow, how exciting! Please keep us up to date, we love success stories here at TB, and also it's really interesting to get the inside track on how things work behind the scenes, eg how agents negotiate, what publicity you get asked to do etc. So keep posting!
  • Wow that's great. Well done!
  • I've just caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror and my face has gone a funny shade of green. No, seriously, well done, mate - let's hope some of it rubs off on the rest of us (me, especially).

Anu x
  • edited May 2009
    Wow! Fingers crossed for everything. They're not interested in gay romance, are they? I'm afraid my three novels are set in England, but I've been told that The Dandelion Clock would make a good made-for-television film; and All About Sex could be very visual (and not just the sex!). :-) I wonder what Russell T Davies is doing now he's not writing Doctor Who.
  • Congratulations, Barry, on every level of these great developments.
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]Wow, how exciting! Please keep us up to date, we love success stories here at TB, and also it's really interesting to get the inside track on how things work behind the scenes, eg how agents negotiate, what publicity you get asked to do etc. So keep posting! [/quote]

I'll try my best to keep you guys in the loop with what's going on. Also if anyone has any questions I'll my best to answer them. :-)
  • See that speck floating up there in the stratosphere? That, my friends, is a high-as-a-kite BarryNugent.
    Go, man, fly forever. Don't let anyone shoot arrows to bring you down
    Keep us informed, this is so exciting.
    You won't forget all about us, when you're rich and famous, will you?
    Congratulations!
  • Great stuff, well done!

Was that you I just saw floating by on a cloud?
  • Well I've now signed the contract for the graphic novel so that is officially happening. I've just had to do some character profiles and stuff to send out to prospective artists.

As as the TV adaptation goes, still early days but Celtic are going to start the pitching next month. Info about Celtic picking up the rights are now on the main page of their website.

http://www.celticfilms.co.uk/
  • Wonderful stuff! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the TV adaptation happens and wishing you every success.
  • Well done Barry! :)

(And may I just congratulate you on having been selected by a film company with such a lovely name!! ;) )
  • Ooh I am so excited for you keep us posted.
  • I really don't know how I missed this - fantastic news. Well done.
  • Well done, and even if it never makes it to the big screen (and I hope it will) just think of the publicity that you'll get! Best of luck.
  • You are up there sailing high where the rest of us would like to be. Congratulations Barry.
  • This is brilliant, BN, I'm absolutely stoked to the eyeballs for you! Congratulations. :D
  • Just looked at the website and press release - great publicity Barry! Keep the updates coming.
  • Thanks for all the kinds words everyone. I'll be sure to keep you up to date on any more news I have. At the moment Celtic are working on the pitch document for the project.
  • I've managed to get the press release onto the sci fi channel website!

http://www.scifi.co.uk/news/2009/06/cult-novel-fallen-heroes-to-be-turned-into-a-tv-series/
  • Good one!
  • Definitely an exciting time for you!
  • Congratulations - sounds like you've hit the jackpot big time
  • edited June 2009
    HI All, a quick update on what's going on with the book.

I now have the outline of the first six episodes of the proposed Fallen Heroes TV series which is being used to pitch the idea to various networks. It felt weird reading someone else's take on the book but in a good way. I also heard from my agent yesterday who hass now begun touting the novel around to some major US publishers. Fingers crossed that someone take an interest!
  • Best of luck, Barry!
  • Good luck with the US Publishers.
    I assume the networks are abroad and not in the UK?
  • well done, Barry and good luck
  • [quote=Carol]Good luck with the US Publishers.
    I assume the networks are abroad and not in the UK? [/quote]

Thanks Carol. In answer to your question both UK and US are being approached but I'm not allowed to give any names out at the moment.
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]Best of luck, Barry! [/quote]

Thanks Jay