Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My radio play gets a production date :)

edited May 2009 in - Writing Tales
Just heard from The Wireless Theatre Company that my play, Dream On, is going to be setup for a possible production date of the 28th May :)

Cool!

Comments

• CONGRATULATIONS!!!
  • Brilliant news!
  • edited May 2009
    Apparently I get an invite to the rehearsals! Bit of a double edge sword that, have this vission of actors saying to me "how on earth do you expect me to say this without laughing"... or something along those lines...

BTW -anyone on facebook that is in my friends list may like to note that a video version of a previous success of mine, a one act play, is now available to watch on facebook video.
  • Congratulations all round RG.
  • Fab news RG
  • Great news RG
  • That's fantastic news, RG - well done!!! Must be great to hear your play performed.
  • you're doing SO well, RG!
  • Congratulations big time
  • Well done , great momentum
  • Ooh, well done!

You could always go to the rehearsals in disguise...
  • Disguise? What would you suggest?
  • Brilliant RG! How exciting! The actors won't say anything like that either, they are too professional... and your writing IS the play!! But the director might be grateful if, as you listen, and hear someone find saying a particular phrase hard, if you change it slightly. But that's unlikely to happen.
  • Wooo! Well done.
  • Ooh, congrats...brill news.
  • [quote=LizB]But the director might be grateful if, as you listen, and hear someone find saying a particular phrase hard, if you change it slightly[/quote]

Are you on Facebook Liz? I have just put up a play of mine from 2007 and in that example, some of the text is very difficult to say... Too many words with the letter P in one sentence...
  • Just don't write: "Josh sat down."
  • Good news, RG - well done you!
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]Just don't write: "Josh sat down."[/quote]

I would never do that Jay. For a start there are no characters called Josh in this play...
  • Well done RG. Is it your first play?
  • First radio play to be produced. I've had another one act play performed in April 2007.
  • You must be so excited - good luck with the project and I hope it turns out as you imagine
  • Congrats..you must be feeling great
  • That's fantastic news! You must be over the moon. :)
  • It is so good to hear about other's success on TB...it seems to be infectious, hopefully I will catch some of it.
  • What brilliant news! You must be really excited. What's the play about?
  • [quote=Randomguy]Disguise? What would you suggest? [/quote]

Just some random guy...
  • Congrats RG :)
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]Just some random guy... [/quote]

But that's my normal look.

[quote=caro]What's the play about? [/quote]

It's a story of a man who one night dreams he is having breakfast with his dead wife. He wakes up with the small of bacon on his breath and no explination for it. Is he going mad? Or is the ghost of his dead wife haunting his dreams...?

Thanks to all the congrats above. Hopefully I should have some more news next week on air dates (he said with fingers crossed knowing how these things can go so badly wrong).
  • Well done!
  • edited May 2009
    Congratulations, RG. Will you go to any rehearsals, or will you wait to hear the finished product? Is this something we'll be able to pick up on the internet, like the BBC Radio plays?? I'd love to hear it!
  • Oh, I like the sound of your play, Randomguy, good luck with it.
  • [quote=claudia]Will you go to any rehearsals, or will you wait to hear the finished product? Is this something we'll be able to pick up on the internet, like the BBC Radio plays?? I'd love to hear it! [/quote]

I have received an invite to the reheasals, which is next Wednesday. However, I am not going to be at the actual recording.

It will be something you can download from the internet (for free) and as soon as it appears I will of course put the link here (as well as shouting it in the street and writing flaming messages in the sky).
  • Congratulations
  • Excellent!
  • News just in: one of the parts will be played by Paul McEwan best known for his part as PC Shane Doyle in Emmerdale but has also performed with the RSC and Hull Truck to name but a few.
  • Don't forget to post the link so we can listen on-line!
  • how was the rehearsal, RG?
  • Just got back today from London and I can tell you that I had a brilliant time. The rehearsal took place in a flat in Earls Court, itself wonderfully decked out with cool art work. I met the director before hand, had a chat about some last minute changes, then went to nervously meet the cast.

And WOW, what an amazing bunch they were. Total professionalism, total focus, really got into it, even the one poor sod who really wanted to watch the football instead, but gave up his time for the rehearsal.

The lead actor, Paul McEwan, nailed the voice and the character right from the word go, and although we had to go over it again for tempo and beat changes, the rest of the cast nailed it as well... It just was very humbling listening to these people read out my lines and breath life into my characters. I tell you... It was an utterly amazing experience. These actors, they may make it look easy, but my good, you need to be dedicated to be one. I am humbled by their tallent. I really am.

I can't wait to hear the finished production.

If anyone from The Wireless Theatre Company is reading this: You guys ROCK!!!
  • Wow, sounds brilliant, RG!
  • It was, as they say, MEGA!
  • So pleased to hear you had a great time today. Cherish the memory as hopefully it will be the first of many. :)
  • The first mention of my play appears on the home page of the production company:

http://www.wirelesstheatrecompany.co.uk/

Look for Dream On about half way down the page. Apparently it will be out at the end of the summer :)
  • And this is the man they are talking about:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&safe=off&um=1&q=Paul%20McEwan.&ndsp=20&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

Paul McEwan
  • Brilliant, RG, absolutely brilliant!
  • Please remind us nearer the time. My memory is a bit civic (spell that sieve-ic and you'll understand) and I will need
    A REMINDER.
    I want very much to listen in, and I suspect others are wanting to as well, so ..
    drop us another line nearer the time.
    Well Done That TBer
    :D
  • Oh RG what a wonderful thing, you must feel great, well done!
  • [quote=ceka]Please remind us nearer the time.[/quote]

Oh don't worry; an open topped bus with large megaphone is planned!!!!
  • [quote=LizB]Oh RG what a wonderful thing, you must feel great, well done![/quote]

You know me Liz, control freak that I am, I won't feel great until I have heard it for myself, although with the tallent the production company put together, I am sure it will be terrific.