Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Woman's Weekly Fiction Special

edited May 2009 in - Writing Tales
Hi guys, just opened my post after my hols and found my freebie copy of WWFS (May22nd-July 10th) and one of my short stories is in there, page 68. (toot of trumpet, because 2 other stories just came back and I need to blow my own trumpet to make me feel better!) I wonder what Work will have to say about it ...

Comments

• Well done, will try to get it tomorrow and you carry one blowing your own trumpet.
  • Congratulations. Always good to hear good news.
  • Jolly well done, Ceka! What a nice surprise to find on your return. :)
  • great news, ceka, will get a copy
  • Conratulations!
  • Well done!
  • Congrats!
  • Well done, Ceka!
  • Congratulations, ceka; lovely surprise for you.
  • Well done, Ceka. I'll look out for a copy.

I thought I might be in it as they've accepted a story of mine, but as I haven't recieved a copy, I guess mine will be in the weekly mag.
  • cool! congrats. Woman's Weekly pays well doesn't it?
  • edited May 2009
    Well done.
    I bought it yesterday. What is the title?
    Sorry, just noticed you said page 68.
    When I get some quiet I'll have a read. :)
  • Brilliant news!
  • Writing is an ups and crashes experience. It's nice when they balance out. Congratulations!
  • Great news - well done
  • Well done Ceka! :) (Do let us know what Work has to say about it. ;) )
  • Ah now I know where the idea came from. I enjoyed it. Well done.
  • Well done Ceka!
  • Hip hip ... Hoopla

hip hop ... hoopla

hip hip hoooooraaaaaaaaaaaaay!
  • Great news. Congratulations Ceka! :P
  • Well done , ceka ! Will get and read !
  • Well done Ceka :)
  • Congratulations Ceka :-D
  • Well done Ceka. Toot as loud as you can!
  • I haven't been able to find the mag anywhere - I've tried two independent newsagents, Smiths and The Co-op. Where have people found it for sale?
  • I bought mine in WH Smiths on Friday- always get it there.
    They may not have had many copies and sold out, but why don't you ask if they have any. It may just be they've got covered up by another magazine.
  • Smiths! And Minehead is only a little Smiths, so anywhere bigger should have it!
  • I was sure Smiths would have it and rummaged to see if it was hidden - definetly not there. They must have sold out. I'm away for a few days, so should be able to try another branch. If not, I'll ask the local newsagents if they can order it - hopefully they can still do that.
  • As it has only just come out they should still be able to get a copy for you.
  • My local Sainsbury didn't stock it, but Somerfield did. Unfortunately, Somerfield has closed down, as of today. :(

They did some brill rolls there too.
  • I looked for it at Smiths today and couldn't find it on the shelves. Standing in the queue at the checkout I found it on its own (would have missed it if the person in front had not been buying a lottery ticket!) - they did this before with Writers Forum when it was on promotion and I just assumed it was sold out. It might mean that new readers pick it up but regulars looking for it will assume it is not in stock.

Liked the story ceka - but do think you stretch credibility a bit by having a humane chief exec! ;) What are they saying at work?
  • Congrats :-D I will be looking to submit a short story to Woman's Weekly shortly. Have a couple of issues to read through first. I'll grab the latest fiction special and keep an eye out for your story :-)
  • I haven't been able to find it yet but will keep looking.

Plenty of rubbish gossip magazines everywhere though.
  • They tend not to stock it in WHS at railway stations (even big ones) or in most supermarkets, but high street WHS usually have it, as do smaller newsagents, though they usually only have a few.

Well done on your story Ceka. I also liked the prize winner from the Writer's Forum comp.
  • Did anyone read the Junior Winner, (WF) about the 'Street Cleaner' in Colombia? To think that boy is only fourteen years old, has he ever got a future!!!
  • Only just seen this - congrats, Ceka!
  • No reaction at all from work, I reckon they haven't noticed. I don't think they could object, but I just wanted to take the mick a bit, I'm so sick of the regulations, rules and ridiculosities of the NHS. (isn't THAT a great word!)
  • I like that word Ceka.:)
  • Well done Ceka!
  • Hi Ceka. I do read most issues of the fiction special, but unfortunately it's not widely stocked and so I'm always late in finding the newest one. Finally this weekend I got into Smith's and luckily they still had some on the shelf. I just wanted to say I enjoyed your story. As I also work in the NHS I can recognise the world of health and safety gone mad! I liked the humour very much.

Overall I thought this was a really good issue of fiction special. As Heather says that winning story from the WF comp was fantastic and I was also impressed by the 3 stories from Rona J Frith. Sometimes recently I've felt that the fiction special has too many introspective first person stories, but this latest one had a nice balance.
  • Have to agree this one was better than the last couple.
  • edited June 2009
    I've been looking out for WWFS ever since Ceka said she has a story in it. Not a copy to be found round here - it must sell out very quickly!
  • Well done Ceka. I will buy it now :D if I can find it!
  • Fanatastic! I will look out a copy tomorrow a) to support you and b) to stuff the miserable so-and-sos at your workplace ;)
  • [quote=Ginger]to stuff the miserable so-and-sos at your workplace [/quote]

Ginger - that sounds like the start of a recipe!
  • ...stuffed, lightly braised, then stewed in their own juices ;)
  • Make sure the dish is served cold.
  • Gordon Ramsay might be interested in your cooking ideas, Ginger! :)
  • oh, bum. I've recycled my copy and didn't realise that the story, which I vaguely remember, was by you ceka! Congratulation and I'm now off to search thro the recycle bin