Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

In the Daily Mail on Monday

VivViv
edited July 2009 in - Writing Tales
Yes, I will be in the newspaper on Monday. A photographer is coming to take my picture tomorrow. It should be the lead letter on the Readers Letters page, in defence of reading bedtime stories and how important it is to do it interactively. I won't tell you more, just buy a copy! I do hope they don't cut or edit too heavily - it was a very long letter, but I hate it when they leave the best bits out!

Comments

• Well done!
  • Well done Viv!
  • Hurray, well done. :)
    Probably depends on space available as to how much is cut.
    (Our current club Chairman had that happen last year- she had a few lines cut from her letter)
  • well done, I'll be sure to read it!
  • Brilliant Viv!
  • that's great Viv, will remember to get a copy
  • Well done! I'll try to get a copy.
  • Well done Viv!
  • Conngrats!
  • well done will look out for that.
  • Well done! We get that paper, so I will be showing it to everyone and saying: 'I know that person!'
  • good one! We get the 'old' papers from daughter's boyfriend's home so I will see it. (We just got through 3 weeks' worth of 'news')
  • Well done Viv that's great news!
  • Congrats, Viv!
  • How exciting! Congratulations - and a great subject, too.
  • VivViv
    edited July 2009
    Thanks all. The photographer came and we got chatting. He does news stories all over the world, and in between he takes pics of ordinary people like me! He went to India to photograph Princess Diana at the Taj Mahal, and tomorrow he is snapping Prince Charles. Anyway, he took about 20 different poses so I don't know which will get used. Starting to feel apprehensive and a bit embarrassed now.
  • Well done, Viv. I'll look out for your letter.
  • Well done Viv, I will look out for it.
  • Good news Viv!
  • I rushed out early and bought two copies - and it's not in there!!!
    Either they decided they didn't like my photo, or maybe it will be in tomorrow? How disappointing, especially after I have told people. Sorry if any of you buy a copy unnecessarily.
  • No way! Cruel.
  • Is there anyone at the Mail you can contact to find out what's happening?
  • Nooooo! I was just on my way to buy a copy. Perhaps they'll run it tomorrow?
  • What a shame, but let's hope it is in tomorrow's.
  • I had a star letter once in the Mail and it wasn't in the day they said but a few days later so don't worry.
  • I recall Helena being photographed for the Mail one time and then they dropped it, hope they don't do the same to you, Viv!
  • Helena's was an article, Viv's is a star letter.
  • Hope it will be in tomorrow, Viv. Do they do regional editions at all? I recall in the past an item about our family only appeared in the northern edition of a newspaper and those sent abroad whilst the story related to the south of the country and didn't appear there at all. Look forward to hearing your letter has simply been delayed - a bit like the postal system really.
  • Dear Viv.
    Wait.
  • Dear Ceka
    Will.
  • HAve you looked at teh online version, or do they not carry teh letters in that?
  • Yes - it is in today! They have cut the letter a bit, but the gist of it is still there. And the photo is in colour!
  • Hooray! I'll go out later.
  • Well done.
  • must get my copy well done.
  • Fantastic! Just read it! Well done, Viv:)
  • I can't find it? what page is it on?
  • It's fantastic! Lovely photo and you had a wonderful message.

(near the back)
  • found it! Well done! It's great.
  • I wonder if the photographer chatted to Prince Charles about meeting you?

Well done - let us know if we can view it online.
  • I don't think the Daily Mail website shows the letters page. Now I wait to see if I get the Letter of the Week award, announced every Friday - a leather filofax!
    Got an email from Bookstart today thanking me for the publicity and for spreading the word about the importance of reading.
  • I saw your letter today, Viv. Well done!
  • Congratulations Viv. Must see if tesco's still have acopy left.
  • Saw your letter today. Congratulations!
  • I didn't see it! KateyAnne, I'm e-mailing you to get you to hold on to your copy!
  • good one, Viv!
  • Great news all round.
  • Well done Viv, I spotted it today. I agree with you about talking to your children. I used to talk to mine all the time and was complemented by a playgroup leader on our youngest son's vocabulary.
  • I wrote it in response to an article in the papers last week that said reading to your children was nowhere near as effective as having a conversation - I agree, if you were to read to them in such a way that they don't contribute or join in. I was concerned that it might make some parents stop reading with their children if they thought it was a waste of time and of no benefit. So, my point was: Why not read and talk about the book at the same time?