Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

S Mag Summer Story - I don't believe it!

edited August 2009 in - Writing Tales
Oh my gosh! I had a phone call yesterday afternoon from the editor of the Sunday Express to say I've won their S Magazine Summer Story competition!!!! It's going to be published in the mag on 27th September. Still don't know if there's an actual prize, but winning and getting published is more than enough for me.

I am stunned - completely! Apparently they had thousands of entries and the editor and all the judges loved mine. I feel really honoured - it was judged by the lovely Katie Fforde, Jill Mansell, Adele Parks and Jojo Moyes. I can't believe it - I keep thinking they're going to ring me back to say they've made a mistake.

What's more - it's not even my genre - it's a summer love story. There's not a drop of blood in sight.

They've asked to come down to Eastbourne next Thursday to take photographs on the beach (where the story is set). So I'm taking the day off. Must get my hair cut. Must lose three stone in a week. Must go to Monsoon.

Big thing for me though is, if it hadn't been for TB I would never have had the confidence to even write it, let alone submit it. Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement, not least to Red who very kindly critiqued it for me and made some brilliant suggestions.

Oh dear. I'm crying now.

Comments

• How absolutely wonderful!

You must feel on top of the world.

Congratulations!
  • Well said it already but well, well done, and congratulations, what a brilliant surprise!
  • Well done, marvelous news
  • LilyC that's brilliant - fantastic - very well done!!! Enjoy your success - get a great haircut, treat yourself to something wonderful to wear and enjoy yourself to the full - you've earned it!
  • Lily that is wonderful news.

Very very well done by you and congratulations to you.
  • Enjoy your day Lily - well done!
  • That's fantastic, LilyC - Congratulations and enjoy every minute. :D
  • That is great news LilyC :-D
  • Brilliant! We get the Sunday Express, so I'll make sure I read your story.
  • Wow, Lily! Great news. Well done! :-)
  • that is just outstandingly wonderful! Think what else you can do now you have conquered that ...
  • This is great news.

Any success as a writer is a delight, but to be at the top of such a huge tree must only add to it.

Very well done.
  • Do you know what one of the nicest things about it was? My little girl - she's five, was as excited as I was. About ten minutes after the phone-call she disappeared off for a few minutes and came back with a post-it. On it, she'd written:

well dun
    for winign
    the cotest

Yes, I had a little sob, then I framed it.
  • Absolutely wonderful news - no wonder you're over the moon -It's not my usual reading but I'll do my best to remember to buy it.
  • Oh I love that note from your daughter!
  • I know I've already said it, but I'll say it again and well done!!

If it helps, I have a tear in my eye for you. And awwwwwwww, that's sooo sweet of your daughter!
  • Aw that is brilliant Lily! Well done!
  • Well done on this great achievement. Sounds as if you have another budding writer in the family in your daughter, too.
  • well done!
  • Ooh, well done! That's great.
  • edited August 2009
    Oh that is fantastic well done! Enjoy your day. I love Eastbourne its about an hour from here and we go there sometimes.
  • That is absolutely brilliant news Lily. Well done. And it's a good success for your CV.
    Have a great day. :)
  • Ah, Lily, you know just how pleased I am for you.

Enjoy your day. Want to know all about it when you return!
  • How amazing! Enjoy every minute of your photo-shoot and all the publicity that follows. maybe you have found your new genre! I look forward to reading your winning entry vey much. And let's hope there is an actual prize too - you should at least get paid for them publishing it.
  • Fantastic! Take your three stone with you though - just like a Katie Fforde beautiful real-woman heroine.
  • That's excellent - well done!
  • The photographer just called - so it's true! They're talking about hair and make-up - ooh blimey.

[quote=Viv]and all the publicity that follows[/quote]
    I'm not really sure what to expect, Viv? Should I let my local paper know too?
  • Oh, wow and bloomin' WOW, Lily! What a cracking win! well done - I'm going to make a note to get the Sunday Express that weekend (27th September, people) and read it.
    And I just think that note from your daughter is adorable.
    Well done, that Vamp! Time to change genres ...
  • Wow, congratulations Lily - that's a fantastic achievement! :)

As for your daughter's note - that is just the icing. I hope you are as proud of yourself as she is of you! :)
  • absolutely brilliant!
    Well doooone :))))
  • What a lovely story - congratulations.
  • I am soooooooooooooo pleased for you Lily. And like everyone else I love that note from your daughter - better than the biggest congratulations card isn't it?

a great big WELL DONE from me
  • Yes, why not tell your local paper? But I don't think the Express would be very pleased if their winner gets announced in any newspaper - even a local one - before they do their own big 'splash'. Maybe get the local publicity after the end of September?
  • Great news, Lily! I think I would frame that post-it note too. It's nice to win, but it's even nicer when your family shares your joy. Time to send out the next story? :D
  • Well done LilyC, that's wonderful! Here's a huge hug for you ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((LilyC)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
  • Wow Well done, what a great thing to happen.
  • Congratulations LilyC. Well done!

Does anybody know if the magazine is available on line?
  • Well done LilyC, that's great news!
  • That's brilliant LilyC congratulations, I'll mark it down to buy that edition.
  • Thanks Viv re: newspapers. I thought that would probably be the best thing to do.

Off to clean the house now...
  • Fantastic! Congratulations! Well done LilyC!
  • Someone remind us the day before it's printed...:)
  • edited August 2009
    Wow. That's absolutely the best news ever - well done!
  • Can't believe I missed this thread. Lily you are a star! Many congratulations!
  • Big well done, Lily. Fantastic news!
  • Enjoy every minute. Well done
  • Thank you so much everyone. I'm still acting like a blithering idiot; can't think or talk straight!
  • 's ok. You're allowed to be in a daze for a while. It won't sink in till you actually get the prize, or do the publicity - but even then you'll probably need to see it in print to really believe it.
  • I still don't know if there is a prize! As for publicity - I just don't know what to expect.

On the day I got the phone call my husband said I should buy a bottle of champagne. I stood in Tesco's (it was late by the time we went shopping - we've got a lovely Wine Cellar in town but they shut at 6), thinking I really couldn't justify it. Maybe a bottle of Cava would be OK, but then maybe not. Prosecco's not quite right. They did have a nice-looking Cr