Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

S Mag Summer Story - I don't believe it!

13»

Comments

• Note to self . buy Sunday's express!
  • I got the date wrong and bought last Sundays! Oops.
  • Hi Kateyanne. Several people did. Sorry if I was misleading?

I've been told today it's definitely going ahead on Sunday 27th so I'm going to order a handful from the newsagent (don't think my local Spar or little Tesco would/could manage that - besides, I'd rather support local businesses).
  • Well done LilyC.
  • Enjoy yourself as you read it again and admire your photos, Lily!
    On Monday, I'll post back. And then I'll cut out the story and photo and stick 'em on the noticeboard above my WriteSpace so you can inspire me some more from on high!
  • Will it feature on your blog Lily? Because I won't be able to get the paper, and I'd quite like to read it and see the pictures...
  • Sorry for lack of responses - been out all day and eating all evening; I'm fit to burst!

Bit excited, have to say. Have ordered 10 copies from the newsagent at The Spar - is that excessive ? I'll be down there first thing though, just in case something goes wrong, or if some massive piece of news has happened that I don't know about which will have everyone desperately running out to get newspapers.

I think they're only using one photo - haven't seen it.

Yes, the copyright is mine so I can and will publish it on my blog but I'll wait until tomorrow (today now) to see if they publish it online - unlikely I think. If they don't publish it online I'll need to get permission from the journalist to publish her interview. Hopefully it'll all be up there eventually.

Must go to bed - poorly hubby, and I've got the feeling I'm coming down with the same thing too, which is very bad timing. And I've eaten too much. Uuuuurgh.
  • Sleep well, LilyC - and waken to find yourself in the Sunday paper!

It might seem a bit surreal to you but enjoy the experience and KNOW that lots of us who have never bought this paper before will be buying it just to read your story - ENJOY the experience!

(Hope you and OH feel better in the am! :) )
  • edited September 2009
    Jenny sends you her congratulations on winning.
  • Just read it - well done!
  • I'm off to get my copy in a mo.
  • Oh, I can't believe I'm only reading this exciting news now after all this time. LilyC, CONGRATULATIONS!!! How exceptionally brilliant this is!! Yayyyyyyy!! :D
  • Oh I'm so irritated! My local newsagent usually, but not always, sells English papers. So naturally - today of all days - he said 'No English today'. Bloody hell - I was looking forward to seeing Our Lily! Now I'll have to wait til it's on your blog. Grrr...
  • I look very smug in the photo! Don't think I normally look like that! My daughter said 'Mummy, you look really boring.' - and she's right. Pink lipstick; never!

But I'm really touched by the article, and I'm pleased that they kept my thanks and plug for TB in there.

Right. Back to the washing up.

Claudia, I've posted the story on my blog at http://micheleranger.blogspot.com/
  • Terrific story, Michelle.
    I get that mag every week and the stories are well written, high standard. This is the best I've read. Loved it.
    Very good.

-------
    lovely photo, btw
  • Went to see my mum after buying the paper, but have read it now. I love it. Well done you!
  • Excellent. You should be very proud.
  • Brilliantly evocative story, Michelle - and the photo's lovely.

As for the judges' comments - well, as if winning wasn't enough!! :D

Hope the champagne is flowing......VERY WELL DONE!
  • What more can I add! I couldn't wait for Monday so I smuck in and got an 'S' from my paperman on my way to competition day, but I've only just got back and read your story.
    Wonderful, well done, 500 applicants and you were The One.
    Be proud, be very proud.
    (sighs with delight at TB success on such a Public Stage)
  • Someone very kindly e-mailed me the story and the page with the judges' comments. Great story, Lily! (And I think the pink lipstick looks just fine!) ;)
  • I won't see it until Wednesday when my mum is bringing it round, but it sounds great. Well done. Can't wait to see what you look like - pink lipstick and all!
  • great story, well done
  • I emailed Katie Fforde last night to thank her, Jill Mansell, Jojo Moyes and Adele Parks for judging. She sent me the loveliest reply, and also had the following to say which I thought others might find interesting:

"...if you ever consider writing a full length novel with an even remotely romantic element, do check out the Romantic Novelists Association. I'm the chair and we are all members. It's a great trade union/support group for writers, published and unpublished."

I've told her about the novel I'm working on - which is a mystery/thriller/ghost story, but it does have a strong love interest in the two main characters. She's told me to check out the RNA website in case I want to join before my book is complete. Isn't that encouraging!

Also - Jill Mansell's just posted a comment on my blog!
    http://micheleranger.blogspot.com/2009/09/latest-news-summer-breeze-by-michele.html
  • That's great.
  • Well done, Lily. How encouraging!
  • JUst read it. (forgot to get the paper - sorry!) FAntastic Lily. Tried to post a commnet but it wasn't showing just now
  • That's great feedback Lily.
  • Lolli, your comment's showing now!! Thank you so much!! :)
  • Very good news LilyC -good luck.
  • Have read it at last. Very evocative of the time, and I bet they didn't have many entries written from the male point of view - no wonder yours stood out. I really enjoyed it. Glad to see you mentioning talkback in your interview too. I expected your real name to be Lily, but it isn't!!
  • Thank you so much Viv. That really means a lot.

Interestingly both my husband and a male friend thought it sounded as though it had been written by a woman - it was the reference to Biba and Bridget Riley - but my husband was a big Riley fan and very, very particular about his two-tone suits, the number of buttons, the length of collars etc, so I think it's not unreasonable to think a guy wouldn't know about Biba. Hubby certainly knew about my fashion passions.

I just had to mention the forum, because it wouldn't have happened without TB.

Yup, Michele Ranger it is. Lily Childs does the nasty stuff!