Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

October 3rd The Weekly News ... apparently has one of mine in it

edited October 2009 in - Writing Tales
Hi, just had a somewhat belated e-mail accepting one of my short stories and the editor adds - it's in the 3rd October edition (which is out now).
That's the first one published by The Weekly News, another on or around Halloween.
I think I'm going to have to get a new computer so that's where the dosh will be going ...

Comments

• Congratulations Ceka!
  • oh great, would have bought a copy but doubt I can now, will try the newsagents - well done my writerly friend.
  • Well done.
    Our WH Smiths have it so other branches might stock it too.
  • Well done!

Our co-op sometimes has TWN so I'll have a look tomorrow.
  • Asda used to have them too, but haven't been recently so not sure about it.
  • Damn - I've only just come back from a big supermarket - still I'll try to get this locally. Congrats.
  • Are you going to put this news on the thread where we announce what's being published, ceka? Well done - and how naughty of them to tell you about it so late. Hope you can get a copy yourself!
  • Well done ceka :-)
  • Oooo well done you!
  • Thank you, O Most Supportive Group I've ever met!
    Viv, I can't make the 'search' thing work, so no, I haven't put this on that fred.
    They said they wanted my address so they can send me a copy, but of course (sad git that I am) I'll be out to buy one en route to Cornwall tomorrow!
  • That's not sad Ceka, au contraire. It's revelling in success! Gotta love it.
  • well done, Ceka!
  • ceka, I have brought that fred up to the top for you!
  • well done, ceka
  • Well done Ceka!
  • Well done must get it.
  • Congratulations, Ceka. I'll see if I can find a copy.
  • Well done ceka!
  • Well done ceka.
  • Well done, Ceka :)
  • :(

Can't buy it in my town.
  • Or can I?

Just bought the last copy in a convenience store!
  • edited October 2009
    Congratulations! Jill usually sends a voucher copy in a brown envelope!
  • Well done Ceka! I'm going to see if I can find a copy too.
  • Congratulations, Ceka. I picked up a copy yesterday!
  • Congrats Owlie :-)
  • Great news.
    Well in, Ceka!
    ;)
  • Just seen this - well done, Ceka. Is it a spooky story?
  • Brilliant Ceka!
  • Well done - I've been looking for it in newsagents as it is a magazine I've never read, but I can never find it - what section is it usually in?
  • It's a newspaper. Mutley - I usually find it near the with the daily papers if I'm in the supermarket
  • I'm bloody annoyed with them! They not only changed the viewpoint (I think someone did warn me that might happen) but they also kept adding tags like 'sniggered' to every piece of dialogue - and I hate tags and try to avoid them! it looks as though I wrote it all like that! never mind, they're paying: as I once said, I'm a literary prostitute and will go with whoever's paying ...
  • Well if anyone comments on it you can blame the editor...while you enjoy the fee. :)
  • Just had a copy of 3rd Oct Weekly News through the post with one of mine in (called A Matter of Taste). Good job they always send a copy out, cos I didn't know the story had been accepted! That's happened a couple of times lately, I think it's a bit manic there at the mo because every time a magazine stops printing short stories, the few that are left get even more submissions. They tweaked my story a bit, but nothing too major.
  • Great news SS.
  • Congratulations, Ceka!

Well done, SS. Have you put this on a 'Success' thread? (I suppose I could check it myself. :) )
  • Brilliant news Summer S - well done.
  • edited October 2009
    Well done both!

I sympathise with the edits Ceka. WN added a whole new ending to one of mine.
  • well done Summer S
  • [quote=ceka], I'm a literary prostitute and will go with whoever's paying ... [/quote]

ha ha that tickled me. :)

It's a bit off though, changing it so much.
  • The Weekly News once changed my ending - and it was so much better! The other thing I have noticed is that they are not keen on first person - they changed one of mine to third person, but it didn't spoil it.
  • Congratulations Summer S.
  • Congrats, Summer Solstice.
  • Hang on a minnit - this means that TWO of TeamTB are in the same issue!
    I still haven't had my free copy yet, and can't find the one I bought to read your story SS!
    Bummer ...
    well done SS.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks everyone :-)
    Yes, we were both in 3rd October edition, Ceka.
  • Think one of mine should be in the issue dated 17th October. Maybe we could fill a whole issue with TBers?
  • Well done ss.
  • Just read your story, PM. Congratulations. I finally managed to track down a copy in a local newsagent so now I can see what everyone has been talking about.
  • Thanks, Wordy. Didn't realise it was out already.