Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Opinions needed before I give up writing

2»

Comments

• I think that's sound advice, Louise. I've given up sending my novel to agents for the time being. It was disheartening getting rejections and realising as a result that it was by no means ready. I had been seriously wasting my time through impatience. It's got to have a better start, be better all the way through (it needs a voice change) and a better ending. I'll submit it when I think it will be a best seller and not before.

There's no hurry either. When I AM happy and confident with it, I'll be writing my next book while I wait for the agent's reply. Quite apart from short stories to write and submit and joining a writing course.
  • I confess owing to be rather busy, I have not seen your writing but I am sure you are brilliant at it judging by other correspondents on TB. I have a theory that perhaps the other person is perhaps jealous as well, she knows deep down your writing is good and her jealousy is making her mental illness worse. Push her out of your life, think positive, yes I can do and get on with it. We all have these moments and perhaps because you have had work published and she has seen it, she would like to be in your shoes, deep down. I think if we can honestly put our hands on our hearts, we have at sometime or other, felt those horrible pangs of envy, I know I have but she must have something she is good at, does your friend paint, if so, she should put her negative feelings into something positive, can she knit, if so, she could put that to good use and help someone worse off than herself. I know it is not easy to gather yourself together when the world is against you.