Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My first book published.

2»

Comments

• Thanks for that, Jay, but it is rubbish. Last I heard I had sold nothing through Amazon so how can I be ranked there with the other Solstice books? It all seems very odd.
  • Could it be Amazon who had purchased the book in advance???
  • Does it work like that?
  • edited June 2010
    Not really sure. Sometimes my books have been shown as 'in stock', so presumably Amazon have bought some (unless Amazon are talking about the printers &/or the publishers). But I think the ranking or whatever it's called goes up when a 'real' person actually buys a copy from them.
  • Thanks, Jay. Maybe when I get some royalties I'll know what's happening. My publisher's records don't show any sales yet but I'm not sure when they are updated.
  • Congratulations. I'm in the same situation. I've wanted to be a novelist since I was knee-high-to-a-grasshopper and although I've had various non-fiction works published, there's nothing like success with fiction: where true creativity is required. My fist novel is to be published in August, and I am now 65. I have been working on promotion for a little while now, including my author website at http://www.iankingsley.com. I publish articles potentially of interest to other authors on this site as well, so if you want to create your own website, which I recommend, you might be interested in the two articles covering building websites using website builders (the easy way to create websites - although I have not use one for mine!).
  • CONGRATULATIONS! I self-published my first book and signed a pubishing contract in March this year. It's such a thrill! Well done for hanging in there and persisting. I wish you massive success with this and future books! :)
  • Hello Ladymoon... welcome! Don't forget to introduce yourself on the introduction thread!.
  • Excellent Pete, really wonderful news - are you going to have a book launch party, you really ought to, let your hair down after all the hard work. I am not angling for an invite as I live too far away. Transport is not great
  • Sorry everyone. Haven't looked at this for a while as I thought there were no more comments. Yes I have a web site and I was in the August WN reader's news as has been suggested.
    Meanwhile back at the coalface my publisher sent out the latest sales figures and someone actually bought my ebook through the Smash Words site. Then the next day there was someone bought it on Amazon. (Can two constitute a flood?) They must have bought it on Amazon as they wrote a review. Gave me the max of 5 gold stars and said it was 'a real page turner' So I spent the rest of the day with a big soppy grin.
    Now my second ebook (A novella actually) is due out any day.
    Question for the more experienced - If I have two works for sale do I spend twice as long fretting over them or divide my fretting in half? Do we have just so much fret inside us?
  • just stop fretting, Pete! I mean, look you got a review already and I haven't!!!!
    Congrats on a good review and your second success!