Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW YORK AGENT, NAT SOBEL, HAS SIGNED ME UP!!!

Comments

• Many many congratulations, Col!! Very pleased for you! :-)
  • What great news, CB. I'm so pleased for you. You must be over the moon! Many congratulations.
  • [quote=LeeH]you literally put blood sweat and tears into it, and it's a blinding novel.[/quote]
    I fear, dear readers, that the 'blinding' bit might be for real, our Colonel believes in 'gritty' ...
    and worse.
    I might be too scared to read the finished book!
  • I won't - can't wait!
  • Oh you're just a hardened nut, Lily - and I KNOW you can also write this dark terrifying thrillery stuff.
    For some reason I can't do it! Nor can I do romance. But I can do 'family and friends' ... p'raps I should take lessons from you and the Colonel, to widen my horizons?
    What're you gonna call the book, Col? Even the working title would be good to know
  • 'thrillery' - what a lovely word, ceka. Sounds like a pretty flower with fris
  • Oh, and Col's in Scotland for a few days but you can vote for the title (a canny wee idea) on his blog at http://colburysnewcrimefiction.blogspot.com/
  • Congratulations, Col!
  • Oh my god Col! Well Done!!!
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks again, all.
    Scotland was/is beautiful. Wish we'd stayed longer, but we packed in quite a lot during our two n half day stay. I'll probably blog about it with pics soon. However, first, I've gotta do one final check on the novel before Nat starts touting it to editors/publishers. Plus, there's a one page 'letter' about little old me n me writing, including the sequel, that I need to write... for him to give to prospective buyers (I assume) at Frankfurt book fair in October... eeek!

BUT, AGAIN, I STRESS: NO ONE HAS BOUGHT IT YET... I've just gotta good guy trying to sell it for me. ;)

Hopefully in the next week or so I should feature on Nat's website with excerpts of the novel, I believe... gulp!
    http://sobelweber.com/index.html

Ceka,
    Like Lily says, there's a poll on my blog (top right) regarding possible titles, and all votes are welcome. It may well be something completely different though. The original running title was 'The Hoodie Hunter', then it became 'Vengeful Pursuit', but now it's open and could even be the Detective Inspector's surname.
  • That's excellent news Col B. Well done! :)
  • Very many congratulations to you Col B.
    XXX
  • Hey, Hickey!
    Very nice to hear from you.
    How's it going?
  • It was well worth coming out of the woodwork to offer you my best wishes!

How's it going? I've been lurking, skulking and otherwise slinking around for about, um, a year.
    I now have a p.c. and am ON-LINE! Way hey. About bloomin' time.
    Hickey = Meagre writing output + head full of ideas = brain ache
    Hickey = school holidays + maternity leave = overdose of insomnia
    Hickey = boyfriend + children = vow of celibacy seems like good idea!

Never mind me! This is the CONGRATULTIONS COL thread! xxx
  • edited August 2010
    Ah, right, I know the feeling (except the maternity leave bit).

Those ideas need to go down on paper, little by little, every time you get a few minutes.
    Bite sized chunks, Hickey.
    ;)

Ps. Good to have you back.
  • Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just catching up with threads after being away and I find this - WELL DONE!!! I am so pleased for you and I can only imagine the feeling of walking on air... I hope it all goes well and please, please, keep us up to date with what is happening so we can celebrate your success!
  • Congratulations....sorry its a bit late, I seemed to miss this somehow. :)
  • Thanks, Ginab.

Lou, I'll keep you all up to date with pleasure.
  • Hey! I'm THRILLED for you! Well done!
  • Oh my yeye yeye yeye yeye gaaaaaawwwwwwd

You may even have an X from me, for such a great achievement. :)

Well done you.
  • PBW - cheers.

Dora... X

'People' are reading it as we speak - hope they don't think it's naff!
    The wait is torturous, but in a good way... I think.
  • fingers and toes crossed for you Col, but I'm sure they'll love it :)
  • After all the hard work you've put in, I'm sure they will like it. As said fingers crossed for a positive response. :)
  • Nat wouldn't have spent all that time and energy following a bomber, now would he? Someone out there, someone he knows, is going to be very positive ... let's hope positive enough to put a pen to a cheque ...
  • And hopefully we'll be seeing your name in the lists for the best crime debut novel' in future...;)
  • Thanks, ladies - I hope you're right.

I'm mindful this could still go pear-shaped, but...

Nat's UK co-agent said my novel is 'compelling' - a good sign, since he represents John Grisham!

It's now in the hands of a dozen UK publishers... (EEEEEK)

I'm pooing me pants ;)

Nat hopes to sell it at Frankfurt Book Festival in early October.

Ps. Not blogging about it cos my bosses may think I'm losing focus (and they'd be right... sshh!).
  • Oh Col, you must be on Cloud 9. Desperately exciting times. Everything crossed for you.
    x
  • absolutely stunning news, Col!
  • Great news Col - I'll keep everything crossed!!
  • If it isn't snapped up at Frankfurt I would seriously wonder at the sense of those there.
  • Here's some looroll, Col. GOOD LUCK and stop pooping your pants
  • Can't wait until you're rich, I like mooching off friends.
  • Rich, Lee? I wish. I may just have enough dosh to buy more loo roll!
    I'll be lucky if it sells, but at least I'm in good hands now, so there's hope.
  • Wow, Col! Hope you still talk to us when you're famous. ;)
  • Aaarghh, this is such an exciting thread!!!
  • Yep, it is that!
    I couldn't resist checking in... thinking of you Col B and sending you good karma.
    Here it is... in these parentheses (~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~)
  • Well done Col! Good to hear from you Hickey!
  • [quote=Col B]Nat's UK co-agent said my novel is 'compelling' - a good sign, since he represents John Grisham![/quote]
    wonderful!
  • Update:
    Not heard a peep... finding this harder than the arduous months it took to win over Nat Sobel.
    As I said, it's like a kind of torturous Limbo... Jeez, it sounds like I'm complaining, but it's just so surreal.
    Maybe because I've been built up n let down by Man City all my life, it's part of my psyche. :D
    Anyone any idea how long these things take?

He's off to Frankfurt Book Fair next week, so I may know more on his return... hopefully.
  • from what you said, Col, he was planning on taking it to Frankfurt so probably it hasn't gone out anywhere yet. You need to be patient but much much much more than that, getting on with the next one!
  • Cheers, Dorothy - you're right of course.
    I'm already onto it, but this time, rather than writing 'blind', I have an outline.
    The UK co-agent sent it to a dozen UK publishers two weeks ago, so...?
  • Agony, but an exquisite agony I hope!
  • Aw, we're with you all the way Col.
  • Lou n Lil,
    Thanks - just me fretting a bit. Work's not great at the mo, which isn't helping matters.
    I appreciate your support.
  • Keeping my fingers crossed for you Col.
    Just keep it together for the next couple of weeks.
  • two weeks??????????????????????????? you know how long they take!!!!
    Get busy with the second, ignore the first. Stop thinking about work,that pays the bills until you hit the big time.
  • I meant how long it is until Frankfurt is over. :)
    Hopefully it won't be months after that to find a buyer for Col's book.
  • Carol, we are cross posting, my reference to two weeks was Col's original comment that the agent had sent it to UK people 2 weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Yep, agree with dorothy - keep your mind occupied by writing the second, and plotting the third :)

Then every now and then get back on tb to share your madness!