Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW YORK AGENT, NAT SOBEL, HAS SIGNED ME UP!!!

13»

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Ah, sorry, Dorothy. :)
    They say the hardet book to write is the second one Col...:)
  • Hey, peeps, I really appreciate these comments.
    Just at work, so catch you all later.
    Regards,
    Col
  • Can't really blog about this, but I feel I can share my thoughts here... because I trust you folks, and bottling it up is driving me bonkers! Any 'tough guys' reading this may think I'm a soft-ar*e, but so be it. Anyway, my teddy bear told me I'm hard, so there (pulls tongue out). :D

The main thing is the uncertainty of it all, as the stakes are potentially so high. The life's dream becomes reality, or it fades away to another distant day... whenever that may or may not be...
  • know that feeling, Col, for sure. Only now, with this talk coming up and all the exposure the festival will give me, do I begin to think that my series will eventually give me life's dream. So been there, many times and know how it feels. Hold on, see what comes from Frankfurt.
  • ((((Col))))
  • Trawling back through this thread from the beginning, I can't believe I haven't congratulated you, Col. I feel positively dreadful now.
    You know I really, really, REALLY wish you all the very best and am so stoked for you! Don't know what I can add to everyone else's wishes for you that hasn't already been said but good luck from me, anyway.
  • Have you started book 2 yet Col?

Six months down the line the book may not sell, you need another book to thrust into your agents hands.
  • You're not soft - we all understand what it's like because we all share that dream. So let it all out!

Also remember that book must be something special to have hooked Nat Sobel, whatever happens next.
  • Thanks everyone (IG - no worries, you can't read every thread. I've unintentionally missed a fair few - x)

Stirling - yes, I'm writing 'book' 2. I gave Nat an outline to show prospective buyers at Frankfurt (as mentioned above).
    Good point re' having another in six months to 'thrust' into his hands... but I do hope you're wrong about it not selling!

Cheers, Lou - I was just 'having a wobble', as we say at work. ;)
  • [quote=Col B]Good point re' having another in six months to 'thrust' into his hands... but I do hope you're wrong about it not selling![/quote]

So do I:D
  • Have you ever read the Dexter books, Col? I've just started reading my first one.

I seem to remember your book being about vigilantism (mine too.) Maybe agents think there's a trend building.
  • No, not read the Dexter books, but will look into them.

Vigilantism seems to be popular, and I can't see that changing. Revenge = conflict. I think they'll always like that recipe if written well... so we'll see, eh?
  • Our Mr Bury has been interviewed by the razor-wire Paul D Brazill, over at http://pdbrazill.blogspot.com/2010/10/hit-north-col-bury-interview.html

Applause Col. :)
  • Applause from me too.
  • Read that at 6 this morning and left a message which says I left it at 2223 YESTERDAY!
  • Col, is the excerpt on the agent's site just for publishers? I tried to open it and it is password protected.
  • Well done Col.
  • I'm selling the whole book for 2 quid a go, that'll learn Col to trust me.
  • I'll have two, Lee and then I'll sell them on ebay for three.
  • lol, been practising Col's handwriting and penmanship to make it look legit, forgot how much fun crayons are.
  • don't forget Amazon, Susie, you should shift a few copies there, too ...
  • [quote=LeeH]lol, been practising Col's handwriting and penmanship to make it look legit, forgot how much fun crayons are.[/quote]

Ha that gave me a good chuckle.
  • edited October 2010
    Hahahaha, I liked the crayons bit too.:D
  • :D
    (Cheeky git!)
  • Oh, sorry, Susie.
    Yes, alas, the excerpt is for publishers to read.
  • Every time you post, Col, I think there's news!
  • Just think, Col's agent could be doing deals in Frankfurt right now...
  • Just caught this thread-Well done Col B keep us all in the loop :)
  • edited October 2010
    Lou,
    I want to be put out of me misery, one way or another.

Van,
    I do hope you're right. Problem is, with a writer's mind, as much as you wanna stay cool, your imaginations runs away with what could be...

Lucy,
    Will do - you folks will be the first to know anything.
  • Liar. Before us will come:
    The Colonel himself.
    Mrs Colonel.
    Offspring of Colonel.
    Followed by Much Closer Inner Circle of Colonel.
    Followed by TB
    It'll be old news by the time we hear it!
    :)
  • [quote=Col B]I want to be put out of me misery, one way or another.[/quote]

Over at Absolute Write we have a name for this stage: the second circle of Hell.
  • Stirling,
    That sounds exactly right! Very apt.

Ceka,
    I meant within the online writing community, of course, you little tinker!
    ;)
  • [quote=Stirling]Over at Absolute Write we have a name for this stage: the second circle of Hell. [/quote]
    I think I could cope with this, thank you!