Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Writing?.....Well bloody lucky you!!

edited November 2010 in - Writing Problems
So, as i'm more a viewer than a contributor of the wonderful Talkback forum many of you will not know that i am a soldier currently out in Afghanistan. Now, the other day...week...month, i forget when it was, i wrote emphatically about how a particular incident with Mr Taliban had inspired me to write. It was brilliant, i had never written so much in my life....okay not true, but between lulls of firing off a few bullets, i had furiously poured all of my anger into the writing pad (i actually think Nano and the 3 day novel comps would have had their work cut out!!). So you can imagine my dismay when upon returning to my little piece of home, a camp bed with tarpaulin for shade, a truck which cleans out Portaloos decided to reverse into said Portaloos and proceed to push them onto my makeshift palace, i think you get the picture. It just so bloody well happens that my notebooks were strategically positioned where no nosey Squaddie could get his hands on them, but alas not escape the dredges of human waste.

*In conjunction with British Army policy, to prevent the outbreak of disease all items of clothing etc. spoilt by human faeces must be incinerated in situ.*

Well, i complained furiously and told the powers of be to stick their policy where it would hurt the most, not really thinking how i was to save my blessed poo and pee stained pages anyway, but i fought them to the bitter end, the end being petrol and a match. To save face and my reputation as a rough tough soldier i sniffed back the tears, commenting that something was in my eye, and turned away from my smouldering notebooks.

So, if you are writng...well don't store them next to a portaloo, because it causes a whole world of........!!

Comments

• Aw, that's tragic Warchild. :( But to look on bright side at least you are safe and well and have lived to write another day.

I'm doing Nano but the shit I'm putting on the page is of a different kind. ;)
  • Warchild - sorry to hear about your notebooks being destroyed. Do you think that's an experience you could extend into a novel?
  • Ah, sorry to hear that, Warchild, though I'm sure that the words of others don't really make up for your loss.
    Is there anywhere else you can safely store anything?
  • Write again. You may find that although it loses immediacy the time in between has made it more readable to others!

Feel for you. Good luck!
  • rewrite. It's the same as a computer crashing and you haven't backed up ...
  • Rewrite. I'm sorry to hear about your notepad. It might improve this time.
  • Sorry you've lost your work. All the best with the rewrite.
  • Warchild, can you scan your work? Is there a scanner available to you? Depending on what your superiors are like they might welcome the thought that someone is writing about their experiences. If you can get to use one, or have one made available to you, you could send the scans home to your computer by email. No-one would need to read them, they'd stay in your inbox till you could access them. That way at least you'd always have some writing in store.
  • Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Much worse than a computer crashing. But who knows, maybe your rewrites will be even better.
  • Your rewrites will be better - rewrites always are. It's bad luck what happened to you but as someone said, the expereince might one day make part of a brilliant novel.

Stay safe.
  • Sorry to hear your news - must have been devastating. Still, as Kipling says ' if you can lose and start again at your beginnings' etc. Gives a whole new dimension to one's writing going down the toilet. Keep smiling. Stay safe
  • No, chaps, rewrites are not the same, not the same at all. All the instant-custardness of that first anguished fire-off is totally lost in rewriting. The grammar and the syntax etc might be better for revision, the smell most certainly would be, but that first oh-so-necessary release can never be recaptured.
    You can try, Warchild, but it can only ever be a sanitised version of the original.
    But you will come back again from a sortie and be in the same mood, need the same outlet for your emotion - and that one you will write straight from the heart ... and store in waterproofs Nowhere Near a Portaloo.
    PS, wasn't Portaloo one of Nelson's sea-battles?
    Keep at it, Warchild, we're rootin' for you ...
  • My heart goes out to you, Warchild. What a loss, like Ceka says. But everyone is unanimous in saying you should recall what you had written, and carry on with your writing. The main thing, of course, is for you and the boys (and girls - I presume there are forces women out there in Afghanistan too) to keep safe.

Some TBers above have caught onto the thread of humour running through your opening post, and it is funny when you put it like you did. Have you thought of coming at your wartime experiences from this angle. It looks like you could carry it off and it would certainly be different from the writing of other troops who 'put it all down in writing' against the day it's all over. Of course you would have to be sensitive, treating with injuries and loss of life in a humorous book, or humorous articles for the papers.

Just a thought.

Good luck.
  • Terrible loss Warchild, but hopefully it will never happen again.
    Hope you can protect the next ones, or as said find a way to send them electronically.
    All the best.
  • OH dear! Are we allowed to still send free parcels to Hm forces in Afghanistan? if so post your address and we'll inundate you with plastic bags and folders to store your writing in in future oh and a waterproof document case to make sure

Oh and look on the bright side, while your writing may have been the next Booker Prize winner, it might also have been the on that the agent called a pile of sh*t. At least that's one less rejection letter! :)

PS i DO sympathise with you really. I just lost 6000 words of purple prose last night, because the computer shut itself down!!!
  • That is bad luck...and I thought it was bad enough when I poured diet coke all over my notebook.

Ok so you've lost your work...maybe you could use the emotions you are feeling about your lost work to write something else [that is a fancy way of repeating what people have said about using your experience in your writing].

But it's not the end of the world [as the Lost Prophets say] although it may seem like it...it happens to us all.

Afghanistan - and I think it's difficult writing sat at home!

Keep at it - don't give up.
  • I know I shouldn't, but I laughed. You told it in such a comic way. I bet your book will be a work of art eventually!!
  • Seems like this anecdote about losing your writing in the worst possible way could at least make a good letter to Writing Magazine.
  • [quote=ceka]PS, wasn't Portaloo one of Nelson's sea-battles?[/quote] No Ceka - you're thinking of the chap with the boots (Wellington boots would of course be handy near portaloo spillage so that's a handy aid memoir for the future)
  • Sorry to hear of your lost work, Warchild. It is indeed a horrible feeling to realise a piece of work has gone.

It's a good point that those of us who can write and keep our work safe are lucky - there are people who've lost their homes or suffered other misfortunes for whom this just isn't possible.
  • Thanks, Tosh
    (And were Wellington Boots worn at the Battle of Portaloo? Can't believe it was on dry land, with a name like that)
    Warchild, we're all hoping you'll do some more writing, cos Dwight's right - as he so often is - your line in humour is great, and particularly under the stresses you're under, admirable.
    (Tosh, put me right: is an Admirable the leader of the Portaloo crowd or the wet bunch?)
  • Oh, very tough luck, Warchild! Bad enough that I lost a good chunk of a novel and other work to a damned compooter virus thingummie some time back (now mostly re-written), with out that sort of experience... Phoooeeeey! (literally...)

Admirable? Portaloo? Surely you must be referring to the Time Lord himself, Doctor pWho and the Turdis?
  • It's the Royal Navy who are admirable, Ceka. The army are ... uh, remembers who started this thread ... also admirable, but don't tend to go to sea so much.
  • We all feel for you, but it'll be worth to recall your feelings when you first started to write. From your account of this experience, you obviously have a talent, so please do a rewrite and we look forward to reading it when it's published.
  • [quote=B L Zebub]It's the Royal Navy who are admirable[/quote]

Is that admirable or admiral? ;)
  • [quote=Chippy]Is that admirable or admiral? ;)[/quote] I was using Ceka-speak.
  • I didn't write wot Chippy said! Wot's going on wiv the quote machine? I think it's turned into a Portaloo...
  • That's weird - I'm sure it was right earlier?
  • I had a problem with the quote thing earlier when Jenny turned into Tony's mum.
  • I've been having problems with the quote function, on and off since last month.
  • Sounds like a lover's tiff Carol.
  • Me too: when I try to quote it sometimes throws me out of the thread.
  • Not throwing you out of bed too Dwight? tut tut.
  • edited November 2010
    [quote=dora]I had a problem with the quote thing earlier when Jenny turned into Tony's mum.[/quote]

I deny it - I am not Tony's mum!!!
  • ARe You totallY sure about that?
  • Lolli, is there a code involved in your apparently random capitalising? Been reading too much Dan Brown, perhaps?
  • That's all we need on TB - a conspiracy theory!!
  • Biel, you'll get used to us. I can't help the way my mind works. Tosh is dead good at interpreting, though
  • [quote=Dwight]Lolli, is there a code involved in your apparently random capitalising? [/quote]

Damn! you've discovered my secret. Now I shall have to kill you and eat you!

[quote=Dwight]Been reading too much Dan Brown, perhaps?[/quote]

surely thou jesteth! his stories are ok, but not unmissable
  • No I jeStethED not. I thOUght that wAS what you were doing.
  • AcTuaLly tHis is InFectiOus.
  • Mad, BlooDY mad.
  • ..........:)
  • Is it a capital offence? :)
  • no. F's the capital of Fence
  • "groan" :)
  • (Ushers everyone off the fred)
    So sorry, Warchild.
    This is called 'Going Off Topic'
    We did try not to do it, but have got carried away again.

Back on topic please, this is Warchild's Fred
  • edited November 2010
    Warchild - We're all very sorry we went off topic. It's much easier to do that than to stay on topic.

(Looks round to see if Ceka is watching and as she isn't ... :rolleyes: )
  • *blusters on* 'Ere 'oo gave trhat ceka the right to shove us orf the fred? 'oo duz she fink she iz?
  • Watch aht, Lolli or you'll 'ave to stay in aftah skool.

(Suspects Ceka is about and quickly switches into posh mode)

I say, Lolli. Your mama and papa wouldn't approve of you articulating in that common manner.