Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Your favourite Stephen King

2»

Comments

• OOh, just had a quick peek at Wiki to find out what that was about, Kellyann (didn't read to the end).

It looks an intriguing story. I'll look out for that one, thanks.
  • I'd never read any Stephen King when I read On Writing a few years ago and it is to this day the best book about writing I've read and I actually want to go back and read it again now and I never reread books.

On Writing made me want to read Stephen King but so far I've only managed Bag of Bones which I loved and can't believe hasn't had a mention!

I have to say the main reason I have not read any more King yet is that I now live alone and I'm reluctant to be reading anything that is going to start freaking me out when I'm in a house alone at night! Think I'll probably give The Stand a go though given how many of you have raved about it :-)
  • edited January 2013
    My son, now 15, never did read the Stand although he was pleased to receive the latest Skulduggery Pleasant for Christmas and it's now done and dusted.

My youngest, 11, has bought 'Gone' by Michael Grant and he is next reading 'Plague'.

On the back of the books it is added 'I love these books' Stephen King.

Does anyone rate or not rate MIchael Grant?

My other son, 13, is currently reading Anthony Horowitz.
  • I prefer his short stories (Autopsy Room Four sticks in my mind), although I haven't read as many of the novels. I have the first 4 of his Dark Tower books waiting to be read, which I picked up cheap in a set a few months back.

When The Mist came out on cinema, I got in to see it free with a smallish group of others. One of the best cinema experiences I've ever had. People stood up and started applauding and cheering at a certain point (if you've seen it, recall the religious woman and you'll probably know why they were applauding), and I've never seen that happen in a UK cinema (us being all reserved usually). Great film, anyway. Then I got a copy of the book with the DVD - and I was disappointed with King's original. The ending of the film version was much better, I thought.
  • [quote=Lou Treleaven]I think I must be someone who likes horror/dark stuff entwined into other genres like sci fi and fantasy rather than straight horror, eg Iain Banks.[/quote]

Ah, then The Talisman would be right up your street, Lou, as would the follow-up, The Black House.
  • [quote=Emma B]I'd never read any Stephen King when I read On Writing a few years ago and it is to this day the best book about writing I've read and I actually want to go back and read it again now and I never reread books. [/quote]

Have been re-reading it for about the fourth time over the last few days to give me ideas on a treatment for a script. It really is no-nonsense, down to earth advice, isn't it?
  • [quote=dora]Does anyone rate or not rate MIchael Grant?[/quote]

Just wondering :)