Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Times 'Ghost Story' comp.

13»

Comments

• As long as those of us who wrote a story regard it as a bit of (free) fun, then we can all clap if the winner,or runners up are in our group.Anyway, I'm in a good mood, cos last Sunday I was in London for the unveiling of a new batch of names on the Honour Wall at the Royal Society of Medicine, and mine was on it. Both my sisters attended, and-now retired from my profession-it's gratifying to think your efforts over the years have been recognised. There are many things wealth cannot buy.
  • Congratulations, toothlight.
  • Thanks Carol, your good wishes are appreciated.
  • [quote=toothlight]Honour Wall at the Royal Society of Medicine[/quote]
    Eeks! How impressive. Bet you were "fully chuffed". (Is that the expression you English use for stoked?) Are you/were you some sort of doctor, TL? It's just that I have this rather uncomfortable rash...........

;)
  • On the off chance, I thought I'd check for results online this morning. I was surprised, and excited, to find that they had been posted 10 hours ago.

No luck for me this time, and I don't recognise any names from TB, but I'm hoping that there is! Perhaps we can all post our attempts here, and still enjoy them, unless we're saving them for elsewhere. :)
  • I did rather like the winners - much better than mine! - so well done to them.
    I didn't recognise any names either.
  • Didn't recognise any names (except Paul Clark as I know 2 of them but I doubt it was either of them :P) and can't say I really liked the winner. Enjoyed the 3 runners-up though.
  • I thought they were worthy winners - though not beyond the realms of what we could have come up with here!!

Yes, Paul Clark rings a bell with me too, Jediya!
  • I enjoyed them all, but especially liked the one about the messages on the misted window.
  • I liked the cycle one and the last one.

[quote=Debby]Perhaps we can all post our attempts here, and still enjoy them, unless we're saving them for elsewhere. [/quote]

How about it? Although I don't have one as I didn't enter.
  • Of the winner and the three runners up, the one I'd most like to have written is the winner. It is ghostly and creepy with a cunning little back story tacked on at the end - the wife.

This was my story. But no gushing please. I couldn't stand it.

I hesitated before opening the shed door - the scratching and occasional squeaks from inside were unnerving. A rat perhaps. Standing well back I quickly pulled the door open. Something soft and grey flew at my neck. I felt a woolly warmth. The love bites are fading now.
  • It must have been so difficult to choose a winner. I'm sure there were a lot of good ones out there!
  • For me, the cycle story was the best and should have been the winner. I didn't like the winner simply because I cannot see a guy meeting a ghost night after night. Do they speak? Does he try to kiss her? The paper says they want an 'original twist,' so how could the last, about ghosts waiting for a family have even been considered? It was plucked straight out of the Kidman film which-ironically- I mentioned here. So here is mine, for you to consider/critique.

'My cat steps out of a Paris doorway as I return home, ignoring the curfew.She arches her back, seeing me, and follows. The German soldier aims his gun, ordering me to stop. I approach and see the fear in his eyes. The Boche can't kill me again.'
    I did write, at first, making the cat the ghost, and leading the man a roundabout route home where he sees Germans getting out of a car, and smashing in his door, thus his dead cat has saved him.
  • [quote=toothlight] your efforts over the years have been recognised. There are many things wealth cannot buy. [/quote]

Wow, toothlight! Well done and congratulations!
  • I agree with the comments above, especially toothlight's. I didn't like the winning story because technically it wasn't necessary a ghost story - any courting couple can meet up in a cemetery.
    I liked No. 3 about the bicycle. That was the ghostliest, I thought.
    Are we going to put ours on here, just for fun? Here's mine:

The stranger nudges me. "Is there space here?"
    I recoil.
    He sits.
    Incense curls its deathly smell around us.
    The priest, chanting, lifts his arms to heaven.
    It ends.
    We stand.
    I confront him. "You knew my Derek?"
    "Yes."
    He steps through me.
    Vanishes.
  • Well congratulations to all.
    Considering the deadline was not long from when the details were posted, you all did great- and you have a story you can build on and expand to a full length piece if you're so inclined.
  • OK, in for a penny . . .

Here's mine:

Why do all lifts stink of urine? Graffiti was spattered on every wall, like cake mixture that had spun off a whisk. Childish scrawl caught my eye: aLicE.
    A sudden yoyo reminded me of the peaks and troughs of a heart-rate monitor. We plummeted towards the echoing giggle. RIP, Alice.
  • Great stories, all!

Congrats to Toothlight for the recognition - you should be very proud.

Here' s my story:

The road was a dark snake. Her windscreen wipers fought against the rain. A hand touched her shoulder; her head whipped round to empty seats. Already it was too late. The tree was in front of her, a towering executioner. Beside it the remnants of a bouquet, already in place.
  • Well done to you all, fab stories. Congrats also to Toothlight.

Here's mine:

He parks at the lake. Adrenaline courses through him, remembering how he held her beneath the murky waters; the final bubble departing her lips. The chill entering the car escapes him. But he cannot escape the wet, invisible hands wrapping around his, nor the icy foot forcing his to accelerate.
  • Want an honest opinion? I reckon most of your stories are heaps better than the final four.....but...they (how many) did have to wade through 1500 entries.
  • Oh bless you, toothlight. I must say, I thought the same but I wasn't sure if it sounded good to say it. I reckon I've had my share of sour grapes this morning.
  • Four days ago I said they'd get 1500 entries...:)
  • No forum should be without a wise woman/soothsayer.

I wonder if Carol dances around in the woodland at night . . . naked.

Oh, no. That's her OTHER thread.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I wonder if Carol dances around in the woodland at night . . . naked.[/quote]

Bit too cold at this time of year...;)
  • edited October 2012
    Everyone's seem so good. I didn't really like mine anyway but, hey, here it is (and it's actually based on a real experience within my family) - probably wasn't 'original' enough tbh - oh well. Perhaps the other story I wrote as an option would have been a better choice to enter *shrugs* Probably not.
    May kick me into gear for writing up the (many) ghostly/weird happenings and experiences my family have provided me with as short ghost stories now.

Anyway, I'm rambling... this was my sorry excuse:

'His hand shook as he reached for the ornate handle. This was stupid. To be afraid to open your own kitchen door. As he touched the cool metal, he felt the icy grip on the back of his hand as expected. The breath on the back of his neck wasn't.'
  • I'm enjoying reading everyone's stories. This was my attempt.

I unlock the door, expecting him to grab me and force his greasy lips on mine. But he’s dead now. I’ve nothing to fear.
    I go to turn off the dripping bathroom tap. Silverfish scatter. The drain reeks. In the semi-darkness, his wrinkled face sneers out from the rusting mirror.
  • Wow - I love all these. Agree that they are just as good as the winners. I think we should all congratulate ourselves on rising to the challenge.
  • Carol, you are a SOOTHsayer.

I think our entries are all brilliant!
  • Have now read the Times winners (in the vain hope that mine was one of them and just hadn't been picked up by you all. No such luck) and have to say they're good. Particularly liked the middle two.
  • Carol, You really are very kind to us all. Having demonstrated that you KNEW the exact number of entries, you (obviously) also knew none of us were in the first four, but kept quiet. Now that is what I call sporting and proves you are a lady.
    Now.......will you kindly predict what competition I should enter to get placed???????????
  • [quote=toothlight]Now.......will you kindly predict what competition I should enter to get placed??????????? [/quote]

Are you entering any of the WM/WN competitions next year?
  • what a clever lot you are! I often have trouble getting inside 50 words for a sentence, let alone a story.
  • http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/competitions/article3580545.ece

I quite like the winner. The runner-up with the bicycle is good, but the way it's written suggests it's raining, or at least has only recently stopped, so it doesn't make sense that the woman could see the wet tyre mark on the (also wet) road. I'm pretty sure I remember the final story, or something very similar, from a joke book I had when I was a kid in the 1980s.

Oh well. This was my effort:

We see the boatman every evening, his distant light flickering in the fierce winter storms. Last summer - the hottest ever - we’d walked across the dry, cracked lake bed. Lifting the crumbling husk of a small wooden boat, we’d uncovered a skull, a broken oar, the rusted remains of a lantern.
  • I love that, danfango. It's very atmospheric. The rusted lantern is a good touch.
  • Yes, like that too.
  • Thanks, all. From the examples you're all posting here I can imagine the judges had a hell of a job sorting through 1500 entries; any one of them could have won.

For the sake of our egos, shall we just assume they printed them out, threw the stack of paper down the stairs, and gave the prizes to the ones that landed on the highest step?
  • That's the thing with judging, in the end it is a personal thing. A judge may have certain criteria set which they will apply to the entries- and we all know a different judge would likely come up with a completely different winner...:)
  • RedRed
    edited October 2012
    I didn't like the winner at all, it bored me. But I do know one of the RU, and he wrote a good piece.

I think a lot of people are far too obsessed about winning, and take it far too seriously. Just enjoy taking part in competitions. If you win, you win, if you don't, you don't. We can scruntinise until the cows come home, but because this isn't a perfect world, there's no accounting for a judge's personal taste, because, to be fair, that's what it sometimes boils down to. That's how the cookie crumbles.
  • I think that one was more of a lottery than a writing competition based on skill.

But isn't that what most competitions are anyway? It's often down to luck if what you have written is the judge's cup of tea.
  • I didn't like the winner. John Xero's story about the misted window pane was my favourite of the four posted, but I think some of the stories in this thread are better than any of them (and better than mine).

He stood looking at the executioner's block which was surrounded by a metal cage. The axe was there but out of reach.

Two girls of maybe thirteen approached him laughing. “Look, he must work here. He's in costume.”

He took off his head and smiled at them.
  • pbwpbw
    edited October 2012
    Wow, olg, what a punch line!

They showed the original Canterville Ghost on telly yesterday. Wonderful.

Priceless snippet of dialogue from the ghost as he wreaked his revenge on the American family who'd moved into his house:

"Take thou that!"
  • [quote=paperbackwriter]Wow, olg, what a punch line![/quote]

A comment like that is compensation for not winning.
  • [quote=Onlinegenie]John Xero's story about the misted window pane was my favourite [/quote]

I know John, and he's a fab writer.

Anyway, for what it's worth, my effort:

A collective heartbeat filled the air. Voices, behind the door. Behind the walls.
    Strangers shuffled through damp passages - they couldn’t hear the screams, the fists against brick, nor see grey skin stretched over bone. Sometimes they just heard lost, fragmented echoes.
    Seventy years on, those still trapped in Auschwitz.
  • pbwpbw
    edited October 2012
    God, yes, Red. I remember when I was much younger, visiting one of the camps in Southern Germay which is now a museum. You could feel the spirits really.

By the way, you need to look on TKnC site. I can't say more than that, really. You already have. Congratulations! :)
  • Just seeing this now and I have enjoyed reading all your entries. I still haven't been to the Time site to see the winning stories, but before I do so, here's mine!

THE PRISONER

In the cell, morning came sickly. Afterwards, I poked at the growing puddle beneath the valve.

The voice sighed. ‘Ahhhh, you’ve done it...’

I smiled. ‘Yes.’

A warden ran in. “I’ll get help!”

“No, just the lady from the radiator... she’s free now.”

Between us, the air began to thicken.