Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

#writingchat

Comments

• It's always an education!
  • Thanks for letting me know, PM.

I'd never heard that acronym before. :-B
  • I won't be able to attend this week but I look forward to the next session.
  • I shan't be there either, but I shall make my presence felt...

;)
  • I'm so sorry, but I'm going to poop the party, too.

Be good!
  • Was fun. Good to know we all have our spelling certain words issues.
  • I was wondering, Helen - are you able to proofread your own work?
  • edited May 2015
    The same rules apply to proofreaders - familiar text is virtually impossible to check. I've proofread books written by proofreaders, we all make mistakes.

• That's kind of reassuring.
  • When you proofread someone else's work, you latch on to their style and can almost predict what issues there might be. If you're reading your own work, that style is part of you and you can't be objective.

Today I finished the second read of a novel. It's the fourth book I've read for this author and I know her style. But I also know there are some corrections she won't accept, because she has that style and doesn't want her 'voice' compromised. I still make the suggested corrections - but she won't necessarily accept them.

• Topic tonight is book piracy.
  • Excellent!
  • Good topic, will be sad to miss it.
  • Have fun all.
  • edited June 2015
    Spag Bol - that tasty Italian dish
    Spag without the Bolognakse sauce - English spelling and grammar
  • Someone on Twitter favourited my plank tweet. Who? Blackbeard.
  • That sounds a bit rum to me.
  • This week's topic is character names.

• Mr and Mrs Stares?
  • Wednesday soon comes round.

Who's taking part in tonight's session?
  • hi guys I might have missed some of the messages here. How do I get involved in this chat? Is it on twitter?
  • Twitter, 8-9, #writingchat

Hope to see you there!
  • It's Thursday. Just realised Wednesday has been and gone - and so has #writingchat. Sorry. 8-|
  • I missed it too. Dipped in at the end.
  • I've been confused about the days for about a week. Lots going on. Lots.
  • I just checked what day it is. Sometimes it's all just a blur.
  • Yes, a blur. Quite. I need people to fill in schedules so I know what's what.
  • You need to add that to your schedule.
  • Yes. We'd better not talk anymore on here. We're clogging it for Patsy. I'll be on the other thread...
  • Don't worry - I'm a blur too!

We were away on Wednesday (IN THE NEW VAN!!!!) I scheduled some tweets and got online at the end (could have done it earlier but was distracted by the van and didn't realise the time.
  • LOL! I did the same - apart from the van bit.
  • The topic will be writing and holidays (I'll be tweeting from the van again)

Both Maria and I will be travelling over the summer and it's quite possible there will be times when neither of us can get to #writingchat. I think it would be better to try to keep it running even so, rather than keep stopping and starting it. What do you think?
  • Most definitely. You just need to post a photo of a cake and leave us to it.
  • edited June 2015
    I will be able to do any Wednesday night that I'm not at the writers' club (first and third Wednesday June and July).

But I'm sure with advance notice one of the regulars will be able to put out reminders and start the session up.

It would be a shame to lose the momentum already built up.
  • Also, #writingchat isn't just used on Wednesday evening, so it doesn't actually need organising, just the announcement of a theme - which either PM or Maria can do as a scheduled tweet the day before.
  • We have a rather brilliant plan ...
  • No, it actually is brilliant. We're going to lure someone sensible and reliable onto the team. That person is ...
  • edited June 2015
    No, it actually is brilliant. We're going to lure someone sensible and reliable onto the team.
    Allegedly sensible and reliable...

:-B
  • That would be me - but as I can only contribute a photo to the proceedings I doubt I really qualify.
  • I have my instructions... :D
  • Apologies, but I'll miss tonight. I have a visitor.
  • As it's tomorrow night, you may be okay, TN. :)
  • Oh, is it only Tuesday? Doh! Actually, he'll probably be here tomorrow too...
  • It's tomorrow, TN - you'll need a new excuse! ;)
  • TN leads such a busy social life we're lucky she's even here. O:-)