Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

~FREE BOOKS BY HELEN LAYCOCK THROUGHOUT 2016~

edited January 2016 in Writing
-STOP PRESS-STOP PRESS-STOP PRESS-STOP PRESS-

Here is my gift to you:
For 5 days of each month this year, I am going to offer a different book of mine FREE for kindle download. Look out for posts about this promotion. If you would like to return the gesture, then a review on Amazon would be wonderful. Thank you. x

JANUARY
Light Bites*

*See end of post for details

FEBRUARY
Glass Dreams

MARCH
Peace and Disquiet

APRIL
Martha and Mitch

MAY
Minor Discord

JUNE
Mr Charlie Chumpkins and The Further Mishaps of Charlie Chumpkins

JULY
Salt

AUGUST
Song of the Moon

SEPTEMBER
Mandrake’s Plot

OCTOBER
A Mouthful of Chuckles

NOVEMBER
The Secret of Pooks Wood

DECEMBER
The Secret of Pooks Wood

January 27th – 31st
FREE BOOK: Light Bites LINK: http://tinyurl.com/z3toogj

Take a pinch of humour, a touch of light-heartedness and a drop of whimsy and you have the perfect recipe to be savoured any time, anywhere. Light Bites – a collection of satisfying and uplifting tales.

'The author writes so well, in such a 'real' way that I found myself immersed in each tale.'

'Her characters are easy to relate to and there is lots of humour that keeps you entertained.'

'I thoroughly enjoyed every story and would definitely recommend it.'

'There is certainly something for everyone here.'

'A very good read.'

'Utterly delicious'

'Dahl-esque delight - ridiculously funny, yet intelligent. Weird and wonderful characters - a chocolate box of surprises.'

'When you read a collection of short stories and come away thinking "I wish each of those was a book in its own right" then you know the writing is good. Ms Laycock makes the absurd seem real. In one of the stories, Harry Potter could have waltzed straight in. Written with a light touch and a dry sense of humour. I loved it.'

'If you like your stories short, wickedly funny, more than a little twisted and unexpectedly sentimental in places - then this is definitely for you.'

'Perfect length for a work break or with coffee and biscuits, care needed to not laugh out loud or choke!'

'The true-life tale of Yiscah (formerly Jeffrey) Smith may serve as the inspiration for UK author Helen Laycock's knock-about comedy, 'Occupational Therapy', a tale from her short story collection, 'Light Bites', in which fairy Lily Blue becomes a goblin and lives happily ever after.'

'This mirthful collection of a dozen cheery tales makes clear that she revels in her present work and causes me to wonder how much her school students must miss her -- even now.'

'I would recommend this collection to anyone who is looking for some "Light Bites" to entertain them.'

Comments

• What an excellent idea. Can you let us know the stats? It's always good to learn how these offers help with rankings - and how many downloads convert into reviews.
  • Yes, if I can find them! I don't know if free listing affects ranking. Now I'm busy promoting hither and thither...
  • Don't do too much until just before one is free - otherwise people will glaze over and forget.
  • I know. I've peaked too soon. I'll send out reminders on the days.
  • *** Roll up! Roll up! ***

Yes, it's happening right now, folks!

~FREE short story collection~

Take a pinch of humour, a touch of light-heartedness and a drop of whimsy and you have the perfect recipe to be savoured any time, anywhere.
    Light Bites - a collection of satisfying and uplifting tales.

Just click on the Amazon links to get your Kindle edition FREE (worldwide) until the end of the month.

Light Bites
    UK link: http://tinyurl.com/mg2zd52
    US link: http://tinyurl.com/hnvv456
  • Done. Look forward to reading it. Thanks TN.
  • Done. Ta!
  • Done.
    And thank you, TN X
  • edited January 2016
    Monday afternoon:
    #241 in Kindle Store > Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > Single Authors

Tuesday morning:
    #21 in Kindle Store > Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > Single Authors

Woohoo!
  • Already had a review. Blimey, that was quick reading!
  • Nell... just realised you could add an enticing morsel of some of your books each day, in the A-Z, with a link to the one that's free in April.
  • Oh, yes... a sentence beginning with the right letter.

Hmmm... let me think on it.
  • JenJen
    edited February 2016
    Thanks I've just downloaded the free one for January, maybe reading more short fiction will get me writing again
  • Hope you enjoy it, Jen. It's just light reading... nothing heavy!

Final stats:
    72 free copies downloaded and one bought.
    Copies downloaded in UK, US, Canada, India and Germany.
    I UK review.
  • Read 3 stories and loving it so far. I read one and had to read the next, which is unusual for me. I only usually read horror shorts (and one issue or Scribble and whatevers in Writing Magazine) but I love these stories. Will read the rest and make sure I give a great review!
  • Aww, how very kind, Jen. Thank you!

Later in the year my two 'dark' collections will be free. Sounds like they might be your thing!

Mwah hah hah!
  • Cool! I'll have to take a look, I can easily justify buying more e-books (I shouldn't really) I have no room for physical books
  • HI folks,
    This month I am offering a children's mystery/adventure free for Kindle download from today, 24th - 28th February. (It is also available as a paperback)

Here are the details:

FREE CHILDREN’S BOOK: 'Glass Dreams' (For readers of 8 – 12)

LINK: http://tinyurl.com/ztn8byr

#kidlit #mgfiction #childrensbooks

Please help me spread the news by sharing this post with children, parents, teachers… in fact, anyone who is involved with children and cares about what they read. I am excited to be able to offer this book for free Kindle download as I know that it will be enjoyed by all – adults included.
    Oh, and please do consider leaving a review. They are very much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Runaway, Jake, has no idea what adventures are in store when he meets circus performer, Khala, hiding in a ramshackle caravan.

Should he tell her about the mysterious box he has been warned never to open?
    Khala also has a secret to share, but can she trust Jake?

Fantazi’s circus is a place of danger, but with the help of Cedric the dwarf and his beloved Chihuahua, Audrey, the children unravel the truth, and are utterly astounded at the biggest secret of all.

In case you’re still unsure, here are some of the fantastic reactions to 'Glass Dreams' (some from reviews, others from a writing site):

'Glass Dreams draws you in from the first sentence.'

'The first chapter drew me in...'

'Laycock's beautiful and imaginative descriptions of events leave you totally immersed'

'an amazing story'

'Rich vocabulary, a nail biting plot, characters who stay with you long after you put the book down'

'You've caught a child's reaction to sudden death so poignantly it almost made me want to cry.'

'Your writing is beautiful. You are especially good at portraying emotion. Your characterization is great...'

'...your plot is bewitching'

'an enchanting, captivating story'

`magnificent story telling'

'Ms. Laycock is a master storyteller who takes you on an amazing journey'

'This is a fantastic children's book! I loved it!'

`I thought this was terrific.'

'What a delightful, charming story. This may be written for older children and tweens, but this elderly woman really enjoyed it'

'There is enough action, adventure, danger and mystery in this book to get my heart pumping, never mind a child's!'

'Helen Laycock has written a fast paced action adventure that will keep even children with short attention spans hooked!'

'This is just my kind of read - poignant and emotional, but pacy at the same time.'

'What a wonderful, enchanting story you have woven here!'

'Brilliantly vibrant and so much fun!'

'There is some really excellent writing, but none better than yours and your story is excellent as well. I am no expert on children's stories but I was immediately struck by how well it balanced the modern world with a classic motif - running away to the circus.
    A stunning piece of work...'

'The mark of a good children's book is when it seldom reminds you that it is one. Glass Dreams soothes you into it with uncomplicated but familiar characters, a traditional but suspenseful plot and the fun of an author who obviously enjoys the story she's telling. It's contagious.'

'Engaging, brisk pace and plenty to keep the reader interested.'

`an exciting twist'

`You write extremely well'

`You manage to mix the sadness and the intrigue of its contents very well.'

'Glass Dreams has everything'

'There is a definite lump in my throat. Your magnificent story telling brought Jake into my heart right away. His honest, authentic, innocent perspective is perfectly done, even down the tone of his voice...'

'I always say that good story telling is when you can relate to a character who is nothing like you- a young lad called Jake is hardly someone I'd say I'd relate to normally as a 40+ yr old woman, but I found myself drawn into Jake's heart and mind and losing myself in his demise!'

`You have the written the voice of this sweet little boy absolutely perfectly'

'wonderful characters'

'Helen Laycock has what all good authors have - the ability to create an extremely interesting world in which to place her characters'
  • Jen, what a lovely review for LB. Thank you!
  • This month's freebie for Kindle download - 'Peace and Disquiet'

March 23rd – 27th

FREE collection of short stories for adult readers –
    Peace and Disquiet

A collection of twelve slightly disturbing tales which encompass mortality, mentality, brutality... and reality.

UK link: http://tinyurl.com/kq7bsyh

US link: http://tinyurl.com/jlder3c

'the work of an accomplished writer, one with true knowledge of the craft'

'an outstanding collection of short stories'

'I was left open mouthed at the sinister realism and very brave and powerful writing'

'two of the very best stories of this kind I have ever read'

'I almost felt as if the words themselves were drawing me in and binding me to each and every syllable'

'Helen Laycock writes with a deep understanding of her characters'

'intriguing and is crafted with figurative, poetic language which flows beautifully'

'each one is a masterpiece that could only have been created by the master story teller that she undoubtedly is'

'Great short stories that send you through a host of emotions'

‘…brought tears to my eyes’

'Each story is unique and well crafted'

‘compelling reading’

'a great collection of short stories that are well written and enjoyable'

‘shades of Roald Dahl’

'The author has a wonderful clear-as-a-bell, way of writing with good finality to each story.'

'Well worth the price'

'I found it very difficult to choose a favourite story amongst this collection.'

'I was held captive until the end'

'...stick in my mind long after reading them'

'she can certainly send shivers up the spine!'

'this author writes in such a way that you can't help but turn the page'

This book is also available as a paperback edition £4.50 / $7.00

More about the book: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,150868.25.html
  • Downloaded 'Peace and Disquiet'. Waiting for broad daylight before I open it.
  • Thank you, Mrs Bear.

It's really not THAT disturbing! It's just a little bit dark. Darkish.
  • Jen, what a lovely review for LB. Thank you!
    No need to thank me, thanks for making it free. I really enjoyed your stories.
  • The one that's free now - Peace and Disquiet - may float your boat, Jen. None of that light-hearted frippery in this one!
  • Missed it. I've told myself not to get any new books until I've read what I've got (sometimes I listen).
  • Aww, never mind. There's another free dark collection coming up at the end of May (if you've run out of material by then!).
  • This month's offering:

April 20th – 24th

Martha and Mitch

FREE quirky children’s mystery with a dash of Roald Dahl and a sprinkling of Lemony Snicket

for readers of 8 – 12

UK: http://tinyurl.com/zzmhnut
    US: http://tinyurl.com/zfufcap

Martha is humble and unspoilt, despite living a life of utter luxury at Lottery Lodge with her (mostly absent) father and stepmother, Penelope.
    Mitch lives at the boys’ orphanage, a dilapidated mansion run by Ariadne Scattypants.

Neither child has any idea about the life the other is leading.

Between Lottery Lodge and the orphanage is a dense wood and it is here that a band of wild boys live. Mitch finds himself at their mercy, but somehow manages to scrabble his way out of the woods, emerging at Martha’s wonderful home.

However, here, too, things are taking a sinister turn.
  • It's currently at number 1 in a specific category (step families). Small woohoo!
  • Well done TN.
  • Hope you get some reviews from all those downloads.
  • Thanks, both! (Me too, Ana)
  • Next up is 'Minor Discord', a collection of ten-minute short stories and flash fiction which will be FREE to download as a Kindle edition until SUNDAY 29th MAY. Many of the stories have had success in writing competitions, and, with around forty entries, it should keep you entertained for some time...

Dare to visit the dark places at the edges of the map, places where you will feel unsettled, and from where characters will follow you, whether you want them to, or not. This collection of stories and flash fiction will take you into the shadows. Don’t get left behind...

LINK:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Minor-Discord-Helen-Laycock-ebook/dp/B00XRKPDHA/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1464160955&sr=1-9

'In this collection of flash fiction and microfiction, Laycock provides a wide variety that will satisfy anyone who loves short stories. Most of the stories are dark, bizarre, and deliciously creepy; a few are lighter but just as captivating.'

‘This book perfectly illustrates my contention that the short story is an art form, and a much-underappreciated one at that.’

‘Laycock's use of vivid imagery makes the stories an immersive read, and she manages to say a lot with very few words--a truly remarkable accomplishment.’

'...delighted to have purchased this collection of short stories and flash fiction.'

'This book was a page turner for me, and kept me reading for longer than intended into the dark hours'

'... quirky, eerie tales that collude with the darker side of story telling.'

'...a gamut of emotion...'
    'I have purposefully declined from using the word...twisted, though on the, QT, I think it should be in there somewhere.'

'This didn't disappoint!'
    '...all well written & so easy to get into.'

'The characters and scenery are well presented...allowing the characters to take you on their amazing journey...'

‘My favorites were: The Visitors, a practical joke gone awry; Soul Control, a humorous take on population control in heaven and hell; and Drop-Dead Gorgeous, a twisted tale of an employee at a morgue with a vivid imagination.’

'...wonderful twists and turns as in Expectations and Cold Comfort. And then the darker tales, The Last Place and Two's Company, just the thought of that doll, ugh and then the brilliant tale, loved this, Taking Flight. These are a few that stuck in my mind.'

'Birds...death as a stalker in his personalised black car, really good story.
    Cold Comfort...A spooky love story, enjoyed this & could have read a full book about this.
    Soul Control...Lucifer & Gabriel, straight away this was a story for me, it was funny & bizarre right up my street, again, BOOK!
    A Stitch in Time...an unfinished sampler causes a couple of problems, intriguing story.
    Drop Dead Gorgeous...A really creepy story, skin crawling & freaky!'

'...reading the many stories that make up Minor Discord was a challenge, and it is one that I have enjoyed.'

'Helen Laycock's creative talent shines through...; her skills and creativity are to be admired.'

'...there were times when... I had to pause and re-read simply for the enjoyment of the imagery they conjured (e.g. White Light).'

'I cannot say which was my favourite - there were too many!'

• edited May 2016
    80 downloads, the furthest away being India and Japan.
  • I completely missed June - sorry! :\"> I will promote that book later in the year.

From July 27th - 31st, 'SALT', a seaside mystery for readers of 8 - 12, will be #free to download worldwide as a Kindle edition.

Everyone knows Salt gives you high blood-pressure, and this edge-of-your-seat adventure is no exception...

A holiday at Pirates’ Cove with Great Aunt Win is nothing like Toby expects it to be…

He is baffled by the mysterious beach fires and eerie singing he witnesses during the night. He is fascinated, too, by the weird and wonderful tales of the town: not only the legend of the pitiful Mary-Anne, said to row out nightly to the Blue Rock, but also of the peculiar ‘cursed’ gold plate locked in the guesthouse cabinet.

Stranger still, why has a dead man been spotted in the town?

With the help of intriguing local girl, Hattie, the secrets of Salt Guesthouse are unravelled… but not before the children find themselves in grave danger.

You can read a couple of extracts here on my children's website:
    http://helenlaycock.wix.com/helen-laycock#!salt/c1rl0

'Gripping read, highly recommended for middle grade'

'Salt is one of those stories that pulls the reader into the action.'

'I'm reluctant to give five stars to anything, but Salt really nails my number one criteria, keep me interested and engaged.'

'Having recently read and reviewed another of Helen Laycock's books, "Mandrake's Plot," I can once again assert that this is another gem amidst the many children's books'

'many twists and turns'

'an enchanting read'

'Vivid imagery and nicely flowing prose add to the strengths of the narrative'

'Your heart will be beating as you go along with Toby and his new friend Hattie as they piece together clues and encounter dangerous obstacles.'

'Helen Laycock has woven a whimsical tale'

'so wonderfully well written that the characters truly came alive'

'The characters are very believable and realistic''rich descriptions of places and people'

'The narrative flows well and the focus on the main characters keeps the storyline easy to follow.'

'Strange happenings after dark, secret tunnels, a new friendship with a mysterious girl, what else would any kid want from a summer vacation in a seaside village. How about getting the chance to solve a baffling mystery? The main character, Toby, gets it all, and so will the reader.'

'What could be better than reclaiming a man from the dead, cursed booty and outwitting many a menacing foe?'

'The plot is well thought out and as the adventure begins, the story unfolds, coming to a swift resolution by the end'

'It is exciting and once again I am reminded of the work of Enid Blyton.'

'Both girls and boys will be attracted to this high-adventure story'

'Helen Laycock's books are most definitely recommended'

'most definitely recommended'

All I ask is that in return, you will consider leaving a review. Thank you.
  • 60 downloads so far...
    I will see what the total is by the end of today. Interesting to see the reach - as far as India and Japan again.
    People do love a freebie, but adult books definitely get more downloads.
  • Oh, and when I last looked, it was #6 in (free Kindle) children's mysteries.
  • Total: 65 downloads.
    Now, let's see how many reviews that generates! [-O<
  • edited September 2016

I have missed a couple of months :( ...

From 21st -25th September, Mandrake's Plot, a boarding school mystery for 8-12 year-olds will be FREE to download.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mandrakes-Plot-Helen-Laycock-ebook/dp/B00JMNM1V2/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

A skeleton, a key, a curse and a code are on the curriculum...

Evie and Mia meet on a train on their way to St. Agatha's Boarding School for Girls. Dropped at a deserted station, with no one to meet them, they trek through the pelting rain and darkness for miles until they find a sign to St.Agatha's which points to an unlikely overgrown track leading up a mountain path.

A foreboding place, St. Agatha's School is surrounded by a sea of mist, and overlooks a loch. Coming face to face with the grotesque caretaker, Mandrake, is not the only thing to unsettle them.
    What is the significance of the strange rings worn by Miss Blackthorn, the head teacher - and why does everyone behave so oddly?

The girls stumble across a forgotten burial chamber. Inside, lies the crumbling skeleton of Sister Beatrice, clutching a note which tells of a curse. Locked in the chamber as a punishment, the friends discover an old book within which is the antidote to the curse... but it is hidden in code.

'a well crafted story filled with mystery and suspense'

'truly an original and unique story'

'a fabulous tale with an air of intrigue and mystery at its heart'

‘The author has depicted the characters well, with rich description they spring to life before you.’

‘The dialogue is realistic and the story is very easy to read.’

‘The narrative, well written and filled with vivid imagery, flows nicely’.

'Good plot, great characters, excellent read.'

‘Mandrake's Plot is a fun read, a mystery with some unexpected twists and turns.’

‘I recommend it to all middle grade readers who love a mystery.’

Reviews are always appreciated!
  • 33 downloads yesterday.

Unfortunately, the Goodreads link hasn't worked for U.S. readers. Bah!
    However, I have already had the first U.S. review since the promotion began - 5*

(It's interesting to see via KDP which of my books are being currently read and how many pages have been read each day.)

Anyway, a bit more about Mandrake's Plot, for those who are interested:

As a punishment, Evie and Mia have been locked in a disused chapel at the school. Here’s a short extract (TB does not allow indented paragraphs!):

The girls found themselves standing in some sort of disused chapel. The air was stagnant and icy.
    ‘This looks like some sort of burial chamber,’ said Mia, observing the stone tombs, inscribed with carvings. At the end of the room, on a raised platform, was an ornate chair, rather like a throne.
    ‘Hey, we could clean that up and have it in our room,’ quipped Evie. Mia just smiled.
    Stone pillars and arches were hung with long cobwebs and the room echoed strangely when they spoke. Tentatively, the girls went further in.
    ‘Imagine being trapped in here,’ whispered Evie, checking over her shoulder. She touched the stone lid of a tomb and the corner crumbled into a cloud of dust. She moved quickly away.
    ‘Do you think there’s a… body in there?’ whispered Mia.
    ‘I bet there used to be. It’s probably a skeleton now.’
    Mia pulled a face to show her distaste. Nevertheless, she was fascinated and tried to peep in.
    ‘I can’t see anything,’ she whispered loudly.
    ‘Mia! What are you doing?’
    ‘Trying to look.’
    Curiosity got the better of Evie and she came over to where Mia was standing.
    ‘Shall we?’
    A nod from Mia and the girls pushed with all their might. The stone lid cracked and caved in onto the contents.
    ‘Now we’ve done it!’ said Mia, looking in. She hoisted up a triangle of stone and screamed.
    Evie saw what had alarmed her friend and she felt the blood rush from her face. ‘I think I’m going to faint,’ she said, slithering down the side of the tomb onto the stone floor.
    Mia had gained her composure again. ‘I wonder who she was,’ she said, looking at the broken skeleton lying in the coffin.
    Evie’s voice strained its way up to her. ‘She was a nun, obviously. She’s still wearing her habit.’
    Mia looked in, mesmerised. ‘Evie! Evie! Stand up! Come here! Look!’ Evie struggled to her feet.
    ‘What is it?’ She was afraid to look.
    ‘She’s holding a piece of paper.’

http://helenlaycock.wixsite.com/helen-laycock
  • edited September 2016
    56 downloads so far. Only 4 in the UK!
  • Final stats: 100 downloads (80 in the US, 6 in the UK and the rest spread between Germany, India, Japan, Canada and Australia).

I also had a few paperback sales of Mandrake's Plot, plus several sales of other books.

The highest ranking it reached was #7

I think the main interest came from Goodreads. I received several messages from members who had read previous books of mine, those who commented that they were enjoying what they were reading and those who asked to be let know of further promotions.

This promotion has definitely generated interest in my writing and people are beginning to remember my name.
  • ...baby remember my...FAME! you're going to live forever...

Looks like it's been worth it then. Visibility is so hard to establish.

• Just started reading Martha and Mitch on the train. Nearly missed my stop. Very entertaining.
  • Oh! I am honoured.

*bows long and low at the famous author*
  • Thank you for the lovely review, Ana.
  • No probs. Just working on my workshop on writer's voice. Yours is very you, witty and wicked. Lottery Lodge was so inventive I wanted more of it.
  • It's really useful to get feedback. This is the book which I feel is quite different from all the others in terms of style. I was very hesitant to promote it at first, but now I'm getting positive comments I'll keep at it!
  • Freebie time is here again!
    I've had to do a bit of rearranging as I missed a few months in the summer.

26th – 30th October

A tiny man and a whole lot of trouble…

The bumper volume of two-books-in-one ‘Mr Charlie Chumpkins and The Further Mishaps of Charlie Chumpkins’ (for readers of 7-12) is currently #FREE to download worldwide.

UK link: http://tinyurl.com/jdsgtnr
    US link: http://tinyurl.com/zb49m2p

Imagine Sam’s shock when he discovers that a tiny, old-fashioned gentleman, Charlie Chumpkins, has been living under his bed for some time—and imagine, too, the pressure of keeping his little friend a secret.
    Enjoy a double dose of trouble in this bumper edition of Mr Charlie Chumpkins and its sequel, The Further Mishaps of Charlie Chumpkins as Charlie gets himself caught up in calamity after calamity…

5* ‘Delightfully detailed descriptions! Adult and child alike will enjoy this read. The writer made it easy for the reader to put themselves in the book as a fly on the wall to observe each adventure. Slightly compares to a more modernized version of the Borrowers. Definitely recommend!’

You can find out more about Charlie, the little friend we’d all love to have, here:
    Website page: http://helenlaycock.wixsite.com/helen-…/mr-charlie-chumpkins
  • #3 in Kindle Store > Books > Children's eBooks > Action & Adventure > Humourous
    #10 in Kindle Store > Books > Children's eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Humourous

I don't like how they spell humorous...