Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Short stories for Amazon.

Comments

• The 'rules' on Wattpad will still be bound by the law.
  • If you don't trust the people you're sharing your work with, then don't share it with them.
  • Okay. That's understood, but what about if someone gives you full ownership of intellectual property rights. Does that make you owner of that material...? To do with how you feel and to collect any money made from it?

Also, what about film scripts. On Amazon Studios I'm sure I read that they advice you TO get copyright over your material..?
  • Sadly there are people out there who will steal others work. As Baggy says having the earlier drafts and research evidence goes a long way.
  • You don't have TO get copyright over the things you've created. You HAVE copyright automatically.

If someone legally and enforceably and in writing transfers copyright that they have in something to another person then that new person owns the copyright to that thing.

Other rights (e.g. first publication rights, translation rights etc) can be given away or sold separately by the person who owns the copyright whilst still keeping the copyright.

The overall issue of the different rights such as moral rights is wide and quite complex but there is a lot of info about it online if you Google it.
  • Thanks for that, Heather. Just checked a few articles online and they are saying basically the same as on this forum. So things are a lot clearer for me. Thanks all...
  • Have definitely decided that Wattpad is NOT for me. Most of their stories are sexist and totally not reflecting real life and have also decided that I want to write for adults, not YA. I need to write about things that are relevant to me as a grown woman, not things that absorb teenagers. That's not me.

So now I am trying to figure out how I can promote such stories once written. Unless I know who I can market these tales too there is no point in writing them.

And meanwhile,I continue on with my script. Another 8 pages done last week. Slowly, but surely...
  • Do you read Mslexia, Lydia? There is a very useful opening article this month on the short story market.
  • Promotion won't get you anywhere until you have something to promote!

Here's my latest short story collection - http://getbook.at/SSS1

I'm not expecting sales to be huge, but am very confident it will sell more copies than all the books which stay in their author's imagination.
  • I'll see if I can check it out, thanks, TN.

Think I've already mentioned, I am currently drafting my film script. Another 8 pages last week. More this. When that is done, I can concentrate on my novellas and short stories.

Unless I know where to pitch them, I won't know what stories to create for that market. It's called having a marketing strategy. I want to sell stories. Not just write them. So I need to look at this properly with a business eye... rather like pubishers do.... just a personal plan, that's all..
  • I want to sell stories. Not just write them.
    You cannot do the former unless you do the latter.

• Lydia, Phots Moll is a very prolific and successful short story writer. Listen to her.
    And you must understand that successful fiction writing takes lots of writing practise.
    I get the feeling that you think you'll start selling stories as soon as you've decided on your target market. The reality is that all writers have to go through a learning process which involves writing many, many stories before they're good enough to sell.
  • Phots Moll is a very prolific and successful short story writer. Listen to her.
    Or buy my lovely book on the subject ;-)
  • edited September 2017
    I AM writing. My film script. And I have been experimenting with writing for quite some time now, so think I must have picked up on some writing techniques.

As I have already specified. Once my film script is completed, I will turn my attention on to my prose writing. I am just 'sussing' out the territory and figuring out what is likely to grab a reader's attention. I want to write stories that will make a reader want to read it, and come back for more. That requires a set formula.

I'm deliberately looking at this in a business sense and, if I can make some money from scripts, more than prose, and I won't know until I put this out there, then I would concentrate on scripts.. I'm out to try and make a living for myself. Whether I succeed or not? I've nothing to lose..

I am listening to your advice but I have also to go with what is real and best for me..
  • I have just downloaded your book, Phots Moll, as I've read previous of your writing and liked it..
  • Thanks for that advice yesterday. I think I have mentioned previously that I have a cowriter, which is why I am a bit more confident about things as they are more experienced than me, so we combine our imaginations...

They still think Wattpad is the best place for amateur writers to get known. Guess the over sexualized, sexist stories I read just turned my stomach a bit. So maybe if I select those books I read and comment on more carefully, the ones that don't treat women like objects, then they won't offend me and I can continue on with the plan... And instead of YA, which is rife with this stuff, then try New Adult and mature stories, which would be more to my taste and writing ambitions...
  • I want to write stories that will make a reader want to read it, and come back for more. That requires a set formula.

I don't believe it does.

In your next post you say "I have just downloaded your book, Phots Moll, as I've read previous of your writing and liked it." (Thank you!)

I don't write to a formula, so it isn't that which has encouraged you to read more by me. It's not Wattpad either, as I've never been there. I strongly believe that writing stories (or poems or plays etc) which we enjoy is the best approach. That's what we're likely to be best at. That's what we'll be happiest doing.
  • The thing that has attracted me to your stories, Phots Moll, is the human element, which I believe you write well of. The little minutiae of each individual's existence..

Don't worry. I wasn't comparing you to the Wattpad crowd. Although some have be so good that they have gone on to win contracts with publishers. Not expecting that for myself, but believe I can provide certain stories that relate to a certain section of people who might find my words resonate with their life experiences... that's the hope and plan..
  • Good luck with the plan!
  • Thanks for this, SM! It should be useful. Checked out Writers' Magazine's Facebook page while i was there. Started following now so that should give me some more insights. So that's a bonus!
  • Just settling down to write out what is needed for the three short stories I intend to place on my social media. Want romance, definitely, but with an edge of realism to them. Think I might do a straight tale as well as lesbian ones. Thinking on that. At the planning stage.

So am scrambling around in my brain for suitable storylines. Will take a bit of time to get that all worked out before I can commence the actual writing. Should be fun planning it...
  • Lingered on Wattpad yesterday. Searching, on threads, for ideas as to which stories grab their attention the most.

Figure I am going to have to adapt to my demographics in order to gain followers.

No need to research, then, if I get ideas about their likes and dislikes.. gives me exposure that way, too...
  • Just write a story.

Write a story for the hell of it, one that YOU like

Do it today...
  • Yep, SM. The time for hesitating is over. And as Lizy and Phots Moll pleaded on another thread. Do write a short story for this forum's competition. I'll go to there right now...
  • I'm looking forward to reading, Lydia!

• I'm scribbling out some ideas, right now! Should be fun to write!
  • *holds breath*
  • Not long to go now, SM! Should be able to place it on the thread later today! Hope you like it? It's called 'Always...'.
  • Wattpad has many threads with users offering assistance with story ideas, characters, blurb etc. That is going to be of such good benefit for me. It will take time to build up a following, but knowing this is help out there should help with this.. essential. Get some stories written..
  • edited October 2017
    Not long to go now, SM! Should be able to place it on the thread later today! Hope you like it? It's called 'Always...'.
    Has S&M responded to your writing yet? Seeing as he is so keen for you to write.

• *holds breath*
    I've been absent. Gee, you're not still holding are you?

• Just checked that thread. They still haven't placed any critique on there. Does anyone know when that will happen...?

Don't know about SM. Instead, been listening to David Bowie. His songs. He was an extremely interesting man, wasn't he? Worth looking into more closely.

Didn't really have any positive male role models when young. So looking at things sideways on, I can perceive that Bowie definitely was an actual man. A very attractive one at that. I quite like Prince too. Two very different artists, but both very sexy and sexual individuals with a unique take on life.

Oh to be able to capture such meaning in one's work. That's real class and talent, I guess.. Bow my head in deference to them...
  • Just checked that thread. They still haven't placed any critique on there. Does anyone know when that will happen...?
    They? You haven't understood how the One Word Challenge works, Lydia.
    Every month the stories and poems are judged by the winners of the previous month - there is no 'they'.
    Critiques are commonly offered by whoever is judging but are not obligatory and it looks like Dora (the last prose judge) chose not to critique the entries otherwise she would have done so when she announced the winner.
    I know you were looking forward to reading a critique on your story, so this is disappointing for you.
    Maybe if Dora reads this she'll reconsider and offer some critiques on the OWC thread.
  • So looking at things sideways on, I can perceive that Bowie definitely was an actual man.
    Sideways on? Anyway you look at Bowie - from the top, bottom, front or back and from every conceivable angle on a compass - he was a man. Have to admit to being mighty puzzled by your comment.
  • Thanks for the update, Claudia. That's okay. It would have been nice to get a critique, but not essential. Just means I can now upload onto my social media. So thanks for letting me know...

Evidently, Kramer, as someone who is speaking as an actual lesbian, I am only too aware of the bigotry that some people have towards queer people. Believing they are not actual men and women. So my statement about Bowie was based on this experience, and knowing for sure, that his sexuality, as a bisexual man, wouldn't have gone down well with certain members of The Establishment. Especially when he first created a wave with his elaborate showmanship. So I was just pointedly remarking that, even though some bigots wouldn't have rated or respected him, he definitely had the credentials of an actual man, in the traditional sense of what goes into the general make up of one.

To compare Bowie with someone like Paul O'Grady might illustrate the point better. O'Grady is a bit of a clown and not taken seriously, whereas Bowie tore down barriers and made queerness respectable, helping to peal away all the legislations and bigotry that no doubt he had to face too. That's all I was asserting..
  • edited October 2017
    An actual man? Made queerness respectable? I don't even know where to start with all that so I won't.
  • Me neither!
  • edited October 2017
    "All the world's queer, 'cept thee and me, and even thee's a little queer."

Can't remember who said that, I think it's homespun Yorkshire stuff.
  • I think you'll find my words would be more recognised by queer people themselves as is evident on other forums I frequent. 'Straight Expectations' seem to be at play here as my friends and I discuss on a regular basis.

It's sort of the equivalent of telling 'black people' they are liberated now and don't worry, we all have black friends these days.

As an active queer activist and feminist online, I can tell you the problems I suggested are real to a lot of queer people who regularly have to fend off bigots.

That's why folks like Bowie have made such an impression in our community. As Annie Lennox sings, 'Pull the bricks down one by one..'. As she is a popular artist, I guess others are of this opinion too. Maybe I can tap into that sense of solidarity with my writing...
  • I am trying not to take offence at that. I fully accept that I don't understand the issues of various minorities the way they do themselves and I would never make the type of complacently racist comment you mention above.
    My issue with your comments is the very odd way in which they are expressed and, as Bowie is a bit of a hero of mine, the strange way he is being used as an example.
    I will comment no more.
  • Queer, not queer, black, white, pink or blue with purple spots on...who cares, do we not bleed. I'm absolutely sick of such talk.
  • I'm just relating the type of topics that go on in my community. Sorry if this offends you, but that is my world and the straights keep infringing upon my rights. I get offended by thAt too, as do my friends and contacts. Alas, more often than not, we don't get a right of reply. We're silence.

As freedom of speech is pArt of our traditions, I'm just asserting those rights. It wasn't my intention to offend. People just took it that way. If the wording is out of context on this forum, apologies. I was merely trying to illustrate that for a lot of gay people, Bowie was a hero, not only for his music, but his openness about his sexuality which, along with others, helped to blow away the stereotypes being portrayed on tv etc at the time. Damaging for those struggling to come to terms with their sexuality. Surely that is a positive, being open..
  • edited October 2017
    I'm just relating the type of topics that go on in my community. Sorry if this offends you, but that is my world and the straights keep infringing upon my rights.
    Oh please. You and your friends need to take your chips and place them on each others' shoulders.

Edited to say that should have said: take your chips and chuck them away because you're feeding off each others' imagined slights by 'straight' people. No one is infringing upon your rights. You're picking up and spouting rhetoric from your gay forums - and THAT is what has annoyed me. You haven't offended me.
  • People questioned my right to speak about an artist I respected when he was alive. I just took the opportunity of right to reply. What has that got to do with 'chips on their shoulders..?'. Having an opinion on certain matters and telling my side of events does not constitute as anything like having 'a chip'. Everyone's words should hold the same weight and I don't understand how one individual speaking up can cause so much 'offense'. One solitary person surely cannot cause such an imbalance on one thread. Surely not..
  • Lydia, we all try to get on on Talkback.

It doesn't matter whether we're gay, straight, trans, a feminist, black, white or an extra terrestrial, we are writers.

I think you get the reaction that you do sometimes, not because of your chosen identification, but we don't want to hear about it all the time when you talk about your writing.

You seem blinkered, and that doesn't help your progress.

Any reader can be your audience, you can't pigeon-hole readers, nor writers.