Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

NEW TALKBACK SYSTEM - please read

Comments

• edited May 2008
    This thread does the same for me, as does 'Today's Offload 2' on a regular basis and various others spasmodically. They usually also show a negative number of new posts in the overall discussion index.
  • edited May 2008
    Jon - We've just discovered the Private Thread facility! It's very useful if we don't know someone's email address because their name in the thread title will attract their attention.
  • Jenny. Where is the private thread facility. Sounds good to me.
  • You start a new discussion, but whisper it to someone. When it's on the discussion board, it looks different from other posts.
  • edited May 2008
    Cooper - It appears in the discussions list as "Private" and only the sender and recipient can see it there. All messages in a Private Thread automatically go as Whispers.
  • The Jokes thread has now decided it does not want to be seen...and because it only has one page at the moment i can't see any of it...
  • Yes, I've been having this problem. I've just added a thread but had to go into page 1 and to the bottom of the page first. My new contribution to it should be at the top of page 2.
  • its working again...it hasn't worked all day but as soon as i complain about it...typical
  • I had the same problem with a couple of threads - can't remember which ones, but they didn't show any messages on the last page.
  • me too. Jokes in particular.
  • MESSAGE FOR JON

I just got a message from Lexia via MSN to say she hasn't been able to access Writers News website since this morning. Can you suggest anything?

Thanks.
  • I've had problems, too, but have just managed to access it.
  • edited May 2008
    Thanks FT for your message - I am "accessed" now too (or should that be accessible? ;) )
  • Jon, I don't know if it's been mentioned but the "Haiku" thread is doing that disappearing thingy.
    You go to the last page (8 as I type) but it's blank when you get there. So you have to go back to pg7 and then forward to 8.
  • the jokes page does this, too.
  • Yes the Jokes one is consistently not working- if you click on it you get the text at the top and how many pages, but to see anything you have to click on a number beside the thread title.
  • the jokes one only started doing that to me today... although since it was started when i clicked on it it would not go to the last post read but the first post..
  • Hi, Jon. I've just sent the following e-mail to Webbo:

"Hi, Webbo.
    (I’ve put this on the discussion/thread, too.)
    One Word Challenge May 2008 - please remove 'sticky'.
    One Word Challenge June 2008 - please add 'sticky'.
    Thanks.
    Jay"
  • Hi Jay,
    I have made June sticky and remove the sticky from May.

Regards
    Jon
  • edited June 2008
    Thanks, Jon.

I've just done a search for the latest (July's) magazines discussion - using "who's" - but it wasn't returned, although other ones seemed to be. Any idea why the search failed to produce the following discussion?

Who’s in July 08’s magazines due out 5th June?
  • Hi Jay,
    I have found the problem and fixed it it was caused by the ' being entered as ` (the one near the 1 key) and not ' (the one on the @ key)

Regards
    Jon
  • Jon

We need some important clarification on an issue effecting Talkback.
    Can you please see the Whispers on the thread, Hopes to decrease spam, and the follow up comments to a member's blogs Plagiarism on message boards.
    This is a very important issue as it is at risk of causing an upset here.
    Thank you.
  • Thought I should add, I have no problem with the offending thread being deleted.
  • Have seen the new sticky, Jon. Thanks.
    We've noticed there is now a 'Quote' item. How is this intended to work?
  • Hi, Jon. I've just sent the following e-mail to Webbo:

"Hi, Webbo.
    (I’ve put this on the discussion/thread, too.)
    One Word Challenge June 2008 - please remove 'sticky'.
    One Word Challenge July 2008 - please add 'sticky'.
    Thanks.
    Jay"
  • Hi Jay,
    I have switched the stickies.

Regards
    Jon
  • edited July 2008
    Jon, what's the Talkback Help Pages for? People have already started using it for general queries, probably because it's the first category listed.
  • Hi Jon,

I have some concerns about this too - notably Cooper's thread entitled "Have to go", which contains comments of a more private nature than I feel is ideal in a universally viewable section.

For Cooper's peace of mind, is it possible for you to relocate this thread to Members' General Chat?
  • And could you put Member's General Chat first in the drop down list?
  • Jon, since people seem to use the first category shown/listed, why not move the Help pages category further down the list?

One item for a Help page would seem to be the use of Categories.
  • Jay,
    Have now moved the Help Pages Category Down The List.

Amboline,
    Thread has been moved.

Regards
    Jon
  • Jon, the Jokes page on Writers' Break seems to be having a 'moment'. The last page is blank again, so you have to go back to the previous page before you can read it.
  • Jon, it does it to me, too, and I have to go to discussions at the top of the page to get out of it as well.
  • Yeah it's done the same to me too.
  • Hi TP, dorothyd, Carol,

Is it still doing it now? I have gone in and I cannot get it to replicate the problem you are having.

Regards
    Jon
  • edited July 2008
    I think the problem occurs when you get to the last one or two threads from the end of a page, Jon, once someone has posted and goes onto a new page it rights itself, until you get toward the bottom of the page again. (And it doesn't seem to do it on all threads only these odd few we highlight now and again.)
  • yes it is the same. I just went there and was confronted by a blank page with numbers in the top right hand corner.
  • Yep - I just clicked on the title of the thread, which usually takes me to the posts which have been made since I last looked. All I got was a blank page with a list of page numbers at the top. I think the problem occurs when it lists, say, 6 pages and there are only 5.
  • anybody else having trouble getting into the One Word Challenge thread? It tells me there are -67 new posts and I can't see any posts at all.
  • No problems getting into July's, but it shows only about 35 comments (some could be whispers).
  • OK - sorted now. Seemed to be the result of having 'marked all threads as read' last time I visited. Resetting the thread status seems to have cured it.
  • Hi, Jon. I think we've asked this already, but would it be possible for us to edit the topic title after posting? When we do a search, it's more difficult to find something that's been misspelt. Thanks.
  • For the past couple of weeks I've been asked to sign in every time!
  • How long does the "remember me" bit last ? Seems like you have to sign in everytime even if you leave the site open and go somewhere else - (this includes the kitchen/bathroom/garden as well as another site;) ) and it never remembers me, only my password :(
  • I always have to sign in when I go on-line, and if I go away for a length of time - otherwise it keeps me logged in fine.
  • Jon, are private/whispered topics excluded from the search facility? I was looking for one I'd posted for somebody, but it wasn't returned.
  • Hello Jon,

As Jay is away for a while, he has asked me to ask you to remove the sticky 'One Word Challenge July 2008', and add a sticky to 'One Word Challenge August 2008', after midnight on Thursday 31st August.

Thank you very much!

Liz
  • I should amend that last post, please make the August post sticky when it arrives, I'll tell you when it does...!
  • Jon - Quite often when I click on Account pages the person's details don't appear in full - I just get a line or two.
    (I realise this makes me sound very nosey!)

Any idea why?
  • (I think it's just a family trait, Jenny...like being clumsy or something !! ;) )