Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

On Beauty...and The Da Vinci Code

edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• On Beauty: I have almost finished this FANTASTIC novel and have enjoyed every word of it. No joke. I'd say it has to be one of the best books I have read this year...and 60p from the library sale too! :P

The Da Vinci Code: Finished it. 'Nuf said.
    Hehe, no, erm...yes, well done Dan Brown for finding a publisher to print it but...really, what was all the fuss about? Please no angry comments, I do have admiration for the man, as I said, he found a publisher for it and his other works.
  • MM - I felt the same about DVC; and even moreso about Angels & Demons, but well done to him anyway. One thing that put me off DVC from the very beginning was his mistakes in Parisian geography. I wonder if he actually went there?
  • I read the DVC a long time ago and quite enjoyed it for what it is. It's not meant to be high literature, just a good old fashioned thrill ride of a novel I think it achieved this quite well. Not the greatest book I have ever read by a long shot but not bad. I did read it before it became popular though so I went in without any of the hype, maybe that helped.
    As for Angels and Demons I read that after The Da Vinci Code and thought I was reading the first draft of the DVC. Very poor indeed.
  • DVC was one of the better reads. It was well written depite its content. the plot of Jesus being married just does not stand up to scrutiny. all of the twists and turns made for a great read.
  • Tony - that's a good point. I read it after all the hype, so maybe my expectations were higher than they should have been.
  • If the Catholic Church had just ignored the book, we would have just been saying Dan who?.
  • Couldn't read the DVC.  The writing was so poor, with clunky similes and majorly bad cliches and stereotypes, that a few extracts were enough to put me off.  Besides, I was already familiar with the major plot ideas as they are all taken from a couple of non-fiction books, Baigent/Lincoln/Leigh's "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" and Picknett & Prince's "Templar Revelation". While those should be taken with a cellar of salt, they at least explore the idea of Jesus' marriage and the significance of Mary Magdalene in detail and with sources provided.
  • I heard one short extract of the DVC and the writing was not good in that bit, so I didn't bother with the rest.
  • I quite enjoyed the DVC and just took it as a yarn and easy read. As anyanka says the actual writing was flawed as was the content imho. Several parts portrayed as fact that were really just rubbish simply to hold a mediocre story together.I was astonished when all the hype happened. All that talk of people losing their faith etc due to revelations in the DVC, what a lot of tripe. If they lost their faith due to a mediocre but fairly entertaining novel then their faith must have been pretty dodgy.
    Angels and demons I thought bordered on the farcical, especially the closing scenes.

Did anyone read deception Point by Dan Brown?
    If you did are you ok now?
    If you did not please don't.
    Predicatble, pedestrian, cliched and sorry to say but lazy. Enough of the good points though.....
  • I've not read the Da Vinci Code, but I really enjoyed the film when we saw it at the pictures!
  • Read DVC by skim reading most of it, hated the characters and the plot line, such as it was, seemed to be all religious technical stuff so I skipped that, too.  It's been done much better in TV documentaries.  I'd never go see the film.
  • I'm waiting for the film to show on TV. Wouldn't even spend money at the video club for it, despite the great cast.
  • Having read Angels and Demons the thought of DVC just leaves me cold, will be avoiding that for a long time to come.
  • I started DVC but despite the short chapters it failed to hold my interest..although I do plan to restart soon. It is just one of those books that you have to have read, if you see what i mean. ;)

'On Beauty' I found quite odd. I think Sadie falls into a trap that many GB writers fall into, that of trying too hard to sound (and seem) intelligent at the expense of the writing. Just my opinion, but it is something I see a lot more in GB Lit than any other nations Lit.
  • Mmmm, I understand what you mean...yet I did find it very rich and very satisfying. Just finished it last night and have lent it out...felt strange because I tend never to lend out my babies. But yes, I would recommend 'On Beauty' to everyone.
  • Agree.  A interview in the Independent yesterday with Helen Oyeyemi (The Icarus Girl), got my blood boiling.

"I found the whole having-to-speak-in-front-of-the-class thing inhibiting.  I always had things I wanted to say, because I knew no-one else would appreciate them".

No.  You don't like the idea that someone else could and will disagree about your interpretation (which is the whole basis of literature), and that your argument will be weaker and you will lose the debate.  So instead you come out with this literary claptrap that you are far too intelligent to lower yourself, because how on earth could A-level students possibly understand your far superior intellect.

I love a good debate, particularly over literature.  I'm usually the one that tramples these literary snobs (and I enjoy it).
  • Found White Teeth very accomplished and wondered how Zadie Smith came into her voice so early.
    Not inclined to read any more of her work though, as urban writing ( like urban life) makes me claustrophobic. But you've made me curious so I'll take a look at On Beauty.
  • I remember when I was at my residential school at Stirling University, I got talking to a girl reading White Teeth, and asked her whether it was any good, she responded:

"You know when they say everyone has a book in them.  This is it".

So I have never picked up a Zadie Smith book.
  • Stirling are you sure she didn't mean that she would never surpass it. That sometimes people do have "a" book in them and they put their all into that. Just think of Harper Lee.
  • No.  She definitely meant that she barely had the ability to carry one book, never mind two.

Before anyone gets hot under the collar, this is not my opinion, I have never read any of her books, and it was from a literature student.

We can be quite snobby when it comes to books.  I hold my hands up to that one (I especially hate literary novels that think they are clever).
  • I'm in the boat with you on that one. I think that this country really does believe that the only books of merit are high literature in style. That is the smallest selling market too yet the newspapers, awards and publishing world in general still hold it up as a beacon of what the art must raise itself up to.

I think it was Stephen King who expressed surprise that we hold up Ian McEwan to be our guiding light in the UK while they fail to take him seriously in the US.
    To me a good book is a good story told well.
  • I agree there too. Romances sell millions, but they are often derided as trash literature. If they were so bad they would not get the sales- their audience won't put up with junk.
  • I'm picking up The Autograph Man today...it has been slated by many critics but...I'm optimistic!
  • Morbid Maiden... I read Autograph Man a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I found it was quirky and had a unique pace. Well worth reading and an interesting style. I think you will enjoy it. I never quite got over the beginning of the story personally.
  • So glad that people agree.

I remember reading an article about the book 'Cloud Atlas' which described it as 'enchantingly nubile'. To this day I do not know what that can allude to. For the record CA is a good read if you are willing to plough through the first 2-3 chapters. I never did consider it 'enchantingly nubile' however.

On the other hand I have often read a King, McEwan, Rankin or even a Rowling and been richly rewarded for the time spent. I agree with the point regarding romantic novels. I am a man approaching 40 in a standard hetro relationship but I have dipped into Georgette Heyer and the like from time to time. Why not. I like to see where other writers are 'coming from', if that makes any sense. Branching out can give you ideas too!!!

I think Denis Wheatley summed it up when he stated that all his writing faults, he at least knew how to tell a story, and in the end that should surely be the aim.

(steps off soap box)  :D
  • Silent Tony said "I think that this country really does believe that the only books of merit are high literature in style."

I completely disagree - the above phrase is entirely true if applied to Germany, where enjoying a book is seriously frowned upon, but I have always found British literature particularly rich with books that are intelligent, well-written and highly enjoyable. Almost all of Ian McEwan's work, early Iain Banks, Margaret Forster, Andrea Levy - just to name a few. (Zadie Smith is not on that list, as 'White Teeth' left me cold.)

Unlike some of the posters above, a good story is not enough for me - I find bad or even mediocre writing off-putting, and only tolerate it for my occasional crime-fix. Even there, it is possible to find detective novels of top quality, whether old Dorothy L.Sayers or more recent Ian Rankin.

There are so many novels out there with excellent stories, characters AND a great use of language.  Why settle for anything less?  The majority of readers do settle for much less, but personally - I don't get it.

Stephen King is actually one writer I cannot bear as I find his style overly descriptive and plodding, and his plots ridiculous.
  • I was referring to the perception of the broadsheet book reviewers, not the general public. If you look at what people actually read in terms of numbers it bares little resemblance to the picture painted by these people.

I found some of SK earlier books to be overly descriptive and waffling at times, though I still loved them. I think he has produced some brilliant work in recent years though.

You are right a good story is not enough, but without it everything else is like scattered wreckage after a shipwreck.
  • I loved the first third of "On Beauty" - then it seemed I'd worked out how it was all going to end up (I was right) and that it felt almost as though the writing was there simply for the sake of it - Smith's satisfaction or something.  I want more from a book than that.

DVC was like a Bond movie in a book.  Fun, frivolous, a little bit eccentric in parts and, yes, I can see why people enjoyed it.  If only for the puzzling parts and the Jesus enigma.
  • I agree with Anyanka [what a fab name] why settle for less? As writers we should be aiming to improve all the time. And fine novels stand clear above other so called bestsellers. Martina Cole has had tremendous success, and she felt irritated that she wasn't taken seriously- so i had a look at one of her novels, like u do- and couldn't get past page three!
    Alex Garland 'The Beach,' fab read!
    fine writing, story, suspense and loads of humour!
  • I'll ditto with Anyanka too. I had a weird thing a few months ago. I'd been reading some quite literary type stuff; John Updike, Cormac Mcarthy, that sort of thing, and then I read 'State of Fear' by Michael Crichton.

Now, a few years back I really liked his books, found them to be great page turners, but this time I felt like i'd fallen off a log. The story was ok, no change there, but I felt it was really lacking something. After a while I think I discovered what it was. It was like a throwaway, fast-food type or read, compared to the previous books which had felt like a gourmet feast.

I agree, there has to be a good story, but I really look for so much more now in the books I read. Something to stretch me and entertain me in a different way.

Just my two pence worth.

Rich
  • You know what Martina Cole's agents (Darley and Anderson) told me, in a rejection letter - without even requesting the first chapter?.

"Women don't read/buy a book with a male protaganist.  This could be a bestseller, but we will pass anyway".

I love reading Dumas, Dickens, Ian Rankin and Val McDermid; but I have yet to find that 'perfect' novel.  I also agree with the comment about Stephen King.  One day I will find that book, but I guarantee it will not be 'literary'.  Literary books don't hold the monopoly on great writing that leaves you thinking 'you can't end it there, what happens next!".

A hundred years ago, Eliot and Dickens where writing for a mass audience, but they weren't trying to be clever.  Being clever is my biggest reading turn off.
  • So Stirling you have to find one who isn't so blinkered about supposed preferred gender.
  • Hi Stirling what an excellent rejection letter, 'Possible bestseller! mine were always 'don't give up the day job mate.' or some scrap of paper that some office junior sent which translated as thank you but don't bother us again!

I like discussions on literature but i'm at a disadvantage for i have only read around 45 novels to date- some wit commented that they could tell from my writing!

However i have always found literary novels highly satisfying, not the ones that pretend to be clever. just started to read Hemingway for the for the first time, really good. Balzac is a genius, one of my favourite authors.
  • i have read  classical literature, as well as the more modern writing that is widely considered pulp. i have to say, probably to the dismay of many, that i enjoyed the davinci code,  because i saw it for what it was- an easy novel to read, that races towards the end at high-speed. i read it before the whole catholic church thing, so i wasn't swayed by the hype.
    stephen king is my favourite author, and i am sure we'll look back in a hundred years and see his books as classic american literature, much as j.k. rowling will be seen as one of the greatest british authors of the 21st century.
    i think if you're into reading solid, literary masterpieces, and enjoy giving your brain a good workout in your spare time, then great, go ahead and plough through silmarillion or bleak house.
    if you want to relax, and let your brain have a little rest, read something less taxing. i've done both, and it entirely depends on my mood what book i reach for. i'm just about to crack on with reading harry potter again, in time for the new book!! 
  • Once again SA summing up the points with a fantastic simplicity. As you say I love cooking but sometimes want to call for a takeaway. Both satisfy my gastric needs at that moment in time.

SK is also my favourite author and I regard him as the new Dickens. Very popular, quite a broad appeal yet will be viewed with a greater brevity in the years after his death.

I think this all comes back around to the idea of snobbish views on literature. Nothing stands on the merit of being labeled by the right people in the right way, only on its success as a piece of fiction. If it ticks all the correct boxes from story, to language, character, voice etc and was a jolly good read, then that is a good book. No matter what some of the broadsheets may want to tell you.
  • I've read Zola, Conrad and Joyce.  I enjoyed them, but they never managed to engage me on an emotional level, and that is what I want in a novel.

Agree about literary snobbery, but not so sure that Stephen King will be classed as great American Literature, surely that will go to Salinger or Kesey?.  I read Misery, and I found the violence unneccasary (and you're talking to the woman who loves Val McDermid!).

At the moment I'm reading Ian Rankin's Knots and Crosses, after which I'm going to re-read The Three Musketeers again, I would love to write a screenplay for a new movie/TV adaption of it (without the slapstick humor of the version with Michael Yorke etc).
  • Oh do you know that film was commissioned to be the final Beatles film. They were going to be the musketeers. But it all went sods up and Richard Lester decided to recast and shoot anyway seems they had the rights.
    The other one was a film version of Lord of the Rings. Tolkien agreed to sell them the rights, they wrote a script and everything. When they went to his cottage he informed them he'd just sold them to somebody else sorry.
  • Now the Beatles, I would have enjoyed that!.

I have an idea floating in my head of writing a novel of Louis XIV's life and loves.  The only thing is the level of research it will take, before I would start writing.
  • "I was referring to the perception of the broadsheet book reviewers, not the general public. If you look at what people actually read in terms of numbers it bares little resemblance to the picture painted by these people."

Why should the broadsheet reviewers' reflect what the 'general public' read? The general public are not the readers of the broadsheets. I for one be mightily peeved if I found reviews of Danielle Steele or Kathy Lette in the pages of the Independent.

Literature is not elected by numbers. Lots of people liking something is not an indicator of quality.
  • Take one 'would', insert in appropriate place above please.
  • Ohhh what have I started! This is fun...well, a word on King...Salem's Lot was very, very dreary in many places...of course it was worth reading for the great spine tingling moments, although, for a book of rather mighty length, I was suprised to find them few and far between.
  • yeah, salems' lot was a bit slow. probably, because it was one of SK's early efforts. i was almost screaming at the book in places, 'cos i wanted a bit of bitey action, and it was all smoke and no fire for the most part...
  • "Why should the broadsheet reviewers' reflect what the 'general public' read?"

I know. I think something has been lost here because that is part of my point. All I have been saying is that there is room for trash as well as high brow books. Just because somebody tells you something is of no merit so don't bother to read it, to me stinks of elitism. All books are different and all genres too, there is room enough for it all to live side by side. I read everything  I can and enjoy most things I do read.

If it feels good, read it.
  • You don't really believe that Dickens or Dumas are still read today by a mass audience because a group of old relics in a dusty University said they were better?.  They were read by the masses.  They are remembered because people loved them, took them to their hearts.  That is what makes great literature.

ST, you have a great attitude towards literature, don't ever change!.  I see too many people carrying a certain book to make themselves look clever, or make themselves feel intellectually superior.

I don't like chick-lit, but that doesn't mean I think I'm better because I read literary classics, and really I don't rate modern 'literary' novels against authors like Hugo. 

When I started writing I thought that being 'literary' was more important than writing a story that people would love, and read over and over again.  You know what?.  It's all rubbish.  I would rather be a Dumas than a Zadie Smith.
  • Who is Dee?.

That was me if you hadn't guessed, talking about Musketeer novels again.
  • It's a personal choice. Would i rather be Jeffery Archer or Kazui Ishiguru? Dan Brown to Alex Garland or Zadie Smith. I would rather be the latter.
    There is room for every novel to coexist with others, and they do. There is a little confusion here- if you condemn a poor novel/writer that doesn't mean you feel superior or are a literary snob. Who likes arrogance?
    ST attitude is great, but there are several views on this forum equally good and they shouldn't change their attitude either.
  • The question is, why do you want to be Alex Garland or Zadie Smith?.  Is it for genuine literary/art reasons, or is it for the reputation?.

I would rather write stories that stayed with my reader long after the last page, than give myself an ego trip.  I have to read a lot of 'literature' for University so there is nothing better kicking back with the latest Val McDermid or re-reading The Three Musketeers.

I am quite happy to write without ever the chance of being nominated for the Booker Prize.
  • You've hit the nail on the head! It for the ego trip, reputation and the dosh!!

No but seriously, it is for the ego trip and the dosh!!

Its bin a long day at work, sos for the delay in replyin. I started out with the thought to make a quick million! How hard can writing be? Write a bestseller and bingo.

Then i got roundly rejected and there was no plan B. So people told me to call it a day- YOU are WASTING your time, is a phrase i heard often!

But by now i actually liked to write and i started to learn the craft and read novels! Then i thought i want to be a good writer, the best i can be- money and fame no longer mattered.

By good fortune i had my first novel published last year- i have yet to do one public reading, though many were the invites. I'm not ready for publicity yet, and the novel has been well received with a good review in the Independent.

Why am i botherin to write so much? Its because i've read some of your threads, and there is real steel in your voice, the type of determination that gets one published. Even though i also sense a lot of anger in your threads sometimes, this you should avoid if possible and remain focussed on your writing instead!

But no really, its about the DOSH!!!
  • Vijay, compared to The Grapes of Wrath, WOW! Well done.
  • If I come across as angry it is only because I don't like it when people are narrow minded to other people's opinion's.

Thank you so much for that wonderful comment!.  Everything I have achieved seems to have been hard fought over.  Even when getting a place at University that so many people take for granted, I seemed to have to work harder to get there (I spent four years with the OU, after leaving school with one A-level in Literature).

Good luck with your book.  I hope you are right, and I do have the determination to get published.  And as before, I am more than happy to work harder than everyone else to get there.