Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

things that make you go GGRRRRR!!

Comments

• Another one...stubbing your toe! Oh boy, just done it and did I swear! (Not sure why people swear when they hurt themselves either!)
  • One of my linguistic GGRRRRs is when (usually in a business context) people say 'yourself'  and 'myself' instead of 'you' and 'me'.

As in "I just need a signature here from yourself" and similar. Ooh, it's enough to make me chew my biro...
  • Cats on the keyboard or trying to paw at the screen.
  • Can imagine Beryl happily padding over your keys, TT :o)

My Grrr today is the pillock outside the flat.  Many people come outside here to use the private wheelie bin.  Now there's a lock on it.  Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!!!!!
  • Being having a few grrrr days recently. Sorry for this but it has really bugged me.
    For the last year one of my boys has been being assessed for autism-we knew he wasn't, but they checked it anyway. There were a series of tests and in school observations and questionares that had to be filled out. Long waits between each appointment; but we finally got the report at the beginning of Feb.
    It's highlighted a few areas of difficulty but as we thought he's not autistic. We expected things to actually start to get done, but copies of report didn't get sent to school, so I had to photocopy my copy so school had all the details of the assessments.
    As the boys go to senior school in September, he needs to be put in the transition system that exists for children with SEN. I rang today and found out that they were not even aware of his problems.Let alone that his brother who is in the system was a triplet-an important factor.
    Fortunately they have quickly agreed a home visit to come and find out the details and see what action needs to be put in place asap.
    Then I got a phone call telling me his Clinical Psychology appointment tomorrow has had to be cancelled due to illness. This happened to his previous appointment a few months ago. I'm now waiting for a replacemment appointment, but expect it to be at least six weeks minimum- if not more.
    So I'm really wound up at the moment.My GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I really hope you get it sorted out, Carol. The transition to secondary is not easy for any child (or parent). You'll know better than me who you can go to to press for an early replacement appointment, but I suppose if it's not an emergency......Good luck, anyway.
  • Ah, Carol. Administrative cock ups and lack of communication between agencies.  Two wonderful principles that define the feeling of GRRRR!
  • Yes - the cheer up love gets me too. And it's usually when I'm daydreaming perfectly happily. The other day someone said to me 'You look really f***ed.'
    I didn't mind that at all because I was.
    The 'my other half' thing - don't be offended anyone. It says more about me. It makes me feel suffocated for some reason. Well I know the reason but it's a long story.
  • Monkeynuts, I sympathise thoroughly.  I just stubbed my toe.  The upstairs neighbour must have wondered about the foul language drifting through his floorboards.  Ana, on the subject of strangers giving unsolicited opinions and advice, I was walking down the street today and a couple of young men told me 'Pull your boots up, love!'  To which I refrained myself from replying, 'They're soft suede boots, you pillock, they're meant to crunch up!  And I would do something about that thing on your head you call a hairstyle if I was you!'   
  • Just a thought Carol,

Should you have been already able to select the secondary school, approach them about this situation. They may then consider arranging matters for your son's particular requirements.
  • Response on other threads has just reminded me.

MISINTERPETATION of comments.
    The number of times I read reactions to one post that totally misconstrue the written words. The presenter who interviews a guest then promptly misquotes answers. Morning "news" programmes that give a full report at 6a.m. but by 9a.m. have poorly precised the item to present a different version of events or facts.
  • Fortunately Jan (the school he starts in September) is aware he was having assessments, so they know to expect some action to occur. I'd already made an appointment to see the SENCO there- a week tomorrow- so I can get something started that end.
    I know her from when she took over the post just before my oldest son left the school,so I'm going to take a copy of the reports with me when I see her.
    The delays seem to have been created by the clinical psychology service, they haven't yet done the follow on parts so nothing else has been done. At least now I've breached the gap things should get moving.
    The school is very good both in ethos and support as well as academically.
  • Oh I feel your pain, Mad Doctor Dribble. It absolutely infuriates me when strangers feel they have the right to give their opinions about your physical appearance and/or just talk to you when you're clearly not interested in hearing what they have to say!
    I personally cringe when I have to walk by a building site; I really do not want to be whistled at, asked out for a drink or be told to "put a skirt on love so you can show off your legs!" (Yep, can you believe that was a real comment!! So rude!) Now, I'm sure there are plenty of pleasant builders out there but in these cases of 'cringeness', I just want to send them all to a special school that allows them to calm down and be able to just deal with the opposite sex!
  • 1. People who misspell lose - "I am trying to loose weight".

2. "Reverse back" - tautology

3. "Thankyou" (as one word)

4. M/s instead of Ms (women's title)

5. Seeing the top of someone's thong above the waistband of her jeans.

6. People who write "their" instead of his or her. I read the other day: "I've got a new friend and their husband died recently."

7. "Yous" - ubiquitous on EastEnders, the plural of you is, apparently, yous: "Are yous two coming down the pub?"

8. "Tea's, coffee's and cappucino's" on a cafe menu.

9. "Expresso" coffee (should be espresso).

10. A man I know who repeatedly says "Y'know whaddaymean?" in between each sentence

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
  • I don't watch Eastenders much so I hadn't realised that what I'd always considered a Liverpool thing - 'Yous' was also a London thing. Here (Liverpool) you also hear he's for his. 'I like he's new car'. Something, in other words, belonging to he.
  • Do they really say that on Eastenders?  Real eastenders might say "Are you two coming down the pub?" or whatever but "yous" is pretty unusual.
  • yeah, "you's" is a scouse thing- as in "why don' you's two shurrup?" i love my accent, and i love scouse dialect. who cares if it's not the queen's english?
    that grates my nerves actually- i work in a callcentre, and i have the most obvious accent in the world. i have to slow down and alter the tone of my voice even to be understood by some people. i think if you listen properly you can pretty much understand anyone. i hate that i have to alter how i speak in otherwise stupid, ignorant people to talk to me as though i'm a complete imbecile. gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrr! 
  • I like it, SA!  I like the differences between the accents and we don't speak any nearer "the Queen's English" than anyone else" but give me my old boss's dictation or drafting and I'll edit and correct it to bits!!
  • Hence, why have I typed a speech mark after 'else'??? Huh?  Huh?  Tsk....
  • I absolutely, completely and utterly hate the use of redundant words.

I go grrr when people feel the need to repeat what they have just said as if I didn't catch it the first time. They say it once and then they go over it all again, implicitly suggesting that I haven't taken any notice. It drives me crazy when I'm short of time and have to indulge someone who doesn't see that I understood them the first time.

As someone who is never critical of others, I find many people accuse others of their own faults.

I really hate road rage. I mean just who do those people think they are to shout at me like that? My blood boils when some git in a flash car tailgates me for nothing. I mean, I don't take that from anybody and give as good as I get!!
  • The weather woman wound me up again this morning - she had to stand in the middle of Cheltenham racecourse to tell us what the UK weather is going to do.  What about her carbon footprint?  She must have zoomed from the studio (London - Birmingham?) to Cheltenham just to bang on about the weather. 
  • Helena:

'6. People who write "their" instead of his or her. I read the other day: "I've got a new friend and their husband died recently.'

Sometimes people do that because they don't want to let on about the gender of the person they are talking about - for instance, if they're having an illicit relationship, or they want to conceal their sexuality. Film director Kevin Smith referred to it in the "Chasing Amy" screenplay as "The Pronoun Game".

'7. "Yous" - ubiquitous on EastEnders, the plural of you is, apparently, yous: "Are yous two coming down the pub?"'

"Yous" is actually Irish dialect - hence its prevalence in Scouse, and presumably in some parts of London.

Apart from that, though, I agree with most of your "grrrr"s. I saw "loose" instead of "lose" many times in manuscripts for the Speakeasy writing competitions, and it got really annoying after awhile. An even commoner one was "lay" instead of "lie".
  • When you phone the library/doctor/whatever, and get a recorded reply saying they don't open until 9 o'clock ... and it's already five past.
  • Yes, Jay, and when you finally get through, they say there isn't an appointment and you should have rung earlier! 

And another one: toothache.  It's a pain.  Especially when you're my age and realise the tooth will probably need major work and therefore yet more pain.  How can ANYone ever have a burning desire to become a dentist?  It beats me.
  • The characters in EastEnders who say YOUS are neither scousers nor Irish; worse, they have only just started saying it after 25 years. A major offender is Pat Evans.
  • Ambeline: "Sometimes people do that because they don't want to let on about the gender of the person they are talking about"

I agree, and that annoys me, too, because it flags up "what have they got to hide, and why?" in my mind. But my original post was about people who use it even when the gender is made apparent in the rest of the sentence.

My manager used to say "I will be pacific" instead of specific - GRRRRR!
  • Aaaarrrggghhh!!  And this person was your MANAGER?  Words fail me.
  • I'm just sitting here having a quiet chuckle to myself, reading all these comments and wondering how many of you - if any - would survive a fortnight in my country. I think Australians invented most of the previous Grrrrs and can suddenly see the fascination a lot of UK viewers have for characters such as 'Kath and Kim' who are made up entirely of Grrrr factor characteristics described above. (Their original intention was to do a bit of tongue-in-cheek lampooning of Aussies but I recognise that's why they've hit the mark with some UKers as well)

Here are the everyday sights and sounds of OZ:

G-strings showing above pants lines
    The use of the word pacific instead of specific
    The wearing of fluffy ugg boots with summer shorts
    The wearing of thongs (flip flops?) in Winter
    Opening times that clearly state 9:30am but don't open until 9:38 (or later) after a long queue has formed at the front doors
    Shops that state their close of business is at 5:30pm but turn their lights and registers off at 5:15 so they can herd people out the doors
    Loose instead of lose
    Of instead of off
    When you are still patiently waiting to see the doctor an hour and a half past your appointment time - I know, I know, that's why they call them waiting rooms and why we're known as patients but it's still a grrrr.
    And last but not least, Yous two. No, it's not confined to the shores of the UK. It's here, oh boy is it here! See? Told you we invented it all.
  • Glad we aren't alone in this IG. Even better we obviously didn't start these gripes in the UK!!!
  • I didn't say GRRR when Hotmail refused to display its page so I could send an important e-mail just now.  What I said can't be repeated here.  'Grrr' will have to do.
  • When a doctor thinks its ok to make you wait half an hour past your appointment time, but if YOU turn up half an hour late they turn you away. They are saying that your time has no value but theirs is precious. It's a total lack of respect.
  • I am surprised not to see more Grrrrs about greengrocers' apostrophes. Maybe they are so common they cease to disgust?

When my b/f and I go to Morrison's, we don't let ourselves leave the building until we have found an error on the customers' free noticeboard. This rule only holds us up for about 3 seconds, the time it takes for one of us to spot something like (and these are real ones):-

Three piece suite for sale, 42" chest.

Computor

Motercycle helmit

Poof (to put your feet on)

frig for sale (fridge)

ad nauseum
  • or even ads nauseum, HW?
  • Pedantic people who seem to have an awful lot of time to waste being grumpy.
  • Three cheers for pedatic grumpy people with lots of time to waste - they keep us amused!
  • And are there any people out there who don't get angry at the silliest things?  I think not.  We all have to have a good old moan every now and again.  It keeps us sane.
  • Sane TaffetaPunk?

Well we Talkbackers are obviously lacking the grumps, not a sane one amongst us. (Is there?)
  • ME! I am perfectly sane! Oh, yes, I am! Now where did I put my ...
  • Sorry, did I say 'sane'?  Whoops!  Haha!  You know what I mean, as sane as writers can ever be. 
  • No TP I have read all of these posts and agreed with gritted teeth to nearly all of them. I have mellowed in my grumpiness lately, don't know why because more things annoy me now! Being grumpy or pedantic is the way we keep those checks and balances I think.
  • "Pedantic people who seem to have an awful lot of time to waste being grumpy."

(a) Without pedantry there can be no real scholarship, no dictionaries, no grammar books, need I go on?

(b) It takes no extra time to be grumpy. You can do it while carrying on your normal daily activities.
  • hmmm... pedantic?
    i think having a good vent of your internal grrr's (in the vein of "misery loves company") helps beat back the wolves of madness. what is writing if not a mental outlet for your daily angst?
    keep it going, kids...
  • So we will!
  • i'm having a bit of a rage day today- stupid customers on the phone doing my head in! my grrr today is people who go all around the houses to say what they want. i feel like shouting at them "SPIT YOUR WORDS OUT!! I HAVEN'T GOT ALL DAY TO LISTEN TO YOUR RAMBLING!!" i'd probably get the sack if i did that...
  • Uh-huh.  Even I of the long sentence had someone irritate me like that at work yesterday.  You just have to kindly move them on.  But, yes, how I sympathise with that feeling!
  • I REMEMBERED SOME MORE!

1. Hyphens in books where there should be em dashes - GRRR!

2. Self-published books wherein new paragraphs are not indented - GRRR!

3. People who say "I should of" instead of "I should have" - GRRR!

4. Self-published books which have the font Algerian on the front - GRRR!

5. EastEnders' lack of Asian and East European characters - GRRR!

6. Publishers who can have any colour cover - and choose grey! - Grrr!

7. "Five items or less" - it's FEWER, you idiots - GRRRRR!

8. People who insist: "I don't need a proofreader". - Grrr!

9. Complete strangers who knock on my door to bring me God. - Grrr!

10. Adverts on TV and radio - Grrr! I always switch TV channels for the three minutes and never listen to commercial radio - never!
  • People who type new topics in CAPITALS?
  • People who think it's more important to chase me around Talkback repeatedly whipping my ass for one little mistake than to read and participate in the messages. Yes that means you! Very petty minded if you ask me. I'm a new member and if you have a criticism why not message me privately rather than publicly?
  • Perhaps it would help everyone, if someone was unsure of someone's intent and thought they were being rebuked, we should ask either openly or privately via the e-mail system.
  • No worry Claudia.
    Something that made me go slightly grrrr today was a representative of one of the main political parties trying to get signitures so that they could get a candidate accepted and therefore listed in the local elections for our area in May.
    Now, I didn't feel this was right, as I have never met the person, nor do I know whether he is a suitable person to stand for a potential counciller (sorry if I've spelt it wrong). So I politely refused.
    Have to say this is the first time I've experienced this in my life.