Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

things that make you go GGRRRRR!!

124»

Comments

• That is just democracy. They have the right to ask the voting public and you have the right to refuse. Well done in executing your democratic privilege.
  • Ignorant and disgusting people.  I got back tonight from a fantastic weekend in London, and one of my friends (I was staying with them) saw his brother off at Waterloo.  All very well, fine and dandy until he got back to say to us that on his way back, he saw a bloke looking at him.  As he passed, this bloke spat at him.  Now, my friend is unconventional, as most of my friends are, but whatever the 'reason', there is no need to spit at someone.  That really makes me angry.  Grrrr doesn't even begin to cover it.
  • Oh I've just had another GRRRR: people who send me cheques to buy books, but no contact details and no address or clue as to where to send it ... then, of course, they will phone and moan that they haven't received it ....

Had the same thing with Ebay a couple of times, too. GRRR!
  • Hahaha DD, that tickled my funny bone!
  • Oh good grief!
  • Windchimes.
  • Bonfires in other people's gardens on sunny days.

By the way, the weather forecast is already showing moderate pollution and it's only March.
  • Invisible stars. Urrrggghhh I hate them. I spend so much time looking up at the night sky in search of the pesky things that I have a crick in my neck. Just show yourselves and stop this nonsense, I stopped playing hide and seek when I was a lad.
  • Here's one I know many people will agree with: the spelling of "Favorites" on my internet browser; having to write "color" instead of colour in html coding and in Paint Shop Pro etc; the "donuts" stall on Hastings seafront and seeing "Quiz Nites" advertised every week in a Hastings Yahoo Group.

Grrrr!

Helena
  • When you send something off, and they ask you to confirm by typing a group of numbers and letters - AND THEY'RE ILLEGIBLE!
  • (I meant when you're using the computer.)

The smell of cut grass (yes, I know lots of people love it, but I hate it, possibly because I used to suffer badly from asthma) and smoke on beautiful summer days.
  • My partner's got two nephews. I understand that some of the games/PE lessons are taken up with theory - that the pupils are sitting behind a desk, just as in any other lesson, rather than playing football or hockey.
  • When people in coffee shops say to the barista 'can i grab a coffee'  or 'can i get a coffee'.

why would you want to grab a coffee? surely you would spill it.  and no, you can't 'get it' either - that's what the barista is getting paid for.  gggrrr x many.
  • When I buy two heavy books in WH Smith's and just get one bag with handles that cut into my hand.
  • Even worse, terrifying even, when you buy 'three for a tenner' at the local off licence and they put the bottles in a carrier bag that would hardly support a couple of beer mats. 
  • Wonderful! There are many things that make me go ggrrrr (or words to that effect) listed in this thread - gonna and should of are two pet hates. Another is the habit of saying 'preformance' instead of performance. We have a rugby team in NZ called the Warriors but they always pronounce it like worriers - mind you, the way they play... I hate 'trendy' spellings as used by most hairdressers, like Szizzors and Cutz. I'm also pleased so discover I am not the only one to think live crosses to weather presenters are idiotic! I hate loud music too and thankfully I live in the country so I don't have to put up with it unless I go into town. Boy racers? They are just idiots in backwards caps and baggy pants! And speaking of baggy pants, I hate the ones teenagers wear with the crotch hanging near their knees! NZers are often lazy speakers and I get sick of hearing y'know and wassup - ggrrrr! But I think my biggest gripe would be the fact that so many people think good spelling and grammar are not necessary - they ARE!!! So are good manners, politeness, respect, honesty, loyalty - all the other things that will be extinct if we don't kick up a fuss over their demise!
  • Hi, Writeability/Faye. Welcome to Talkback. Nice to see someone else up at this time. I think my name's mentioned somewhere on the Mark Billingham site - can't remember why, as I write gay romance!
  • Hi Jay, you may be up late but it's only 5pm here in NZ! I met Mark when he was in NZ a few years ago and he said I should read Ian Rankin too. I haven't visited Mark's site lately but I'll let you know if I find your name mentioned in vain!
  • It's usually just me and Island Girl so early in the UK morning (she's from your neck of the woods - Australia).
  • Hi Writeability, welcome. The baggy pants with waistline around the bum gets to me to. About 18 months ago you saw it everywhere where there were young men around- fortunately the fad has passed now, so there's hope for you.
  • It's not just in agriculture, Nenastew. My husband and I have run two different but fairly successful companies out of the same office for many years, working side by side, five days a week. Most male callers ask to speak to my husband even though we are in it together. They then proceed to ask him the most inane question that one of our children could have answered.

BUT the one that really had me GGRRRRing the other day (I'm still not over it) is when an old bloke came by delivering the free local paper to all the warehouses in the road. When I appeared in the door of our (fairly new 62 year old male) employee's office. Without addressing me personally, the old bloke asked "Is this the office girl?" to which our (now almost sacked) employee answered, "Yep."      GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I was too stunned to snap back that I was his boss. I was too flabbergasted to say anything at all.
  • See how wild I am? As you see from the above example, I can't even construct proper sentences any more. GGRRRR
  • Rather than getting mad, get even. When they ring up and ask for your husband tell them that they can find out the same info from you. Or are all men out there chauvinists IG?
  • On the same line, I live in a small rural area not far from Levin (population about 14,000 I think) and unfortunately it has a fairly large number of unemployed. Whenever I go into town during the day I get irritated when people assume I am unemployed too! "No," I feel like yelling, "I am actually SELF-EMPLOYED and work for a living!" As for the ones who think because I work from home I must spend all afternoon watching telly (I don't think I have EVER been that bored...), let's not even go there!

I used to be a motorsport photographer and writer and it took a while for the chauvinistic guys to realise that a woman could take damn good photos and even write intelligently about the subject!