Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

God Hates Fags. Yes you Sinners you heard right.

Comments

• Yeah it is true. Look at yourself are you of a homosexual or lesbian persuasions? Then god hates you. Ok I watched the Louis Theroux documentary and was shocked to the bone of my existence. I am a straight single male but man surely we are more liberal in this country are we not. I’d love to know. Are we free or are we the same? USA bleats on about freedom and terrorism but they are issuing this in their country. Where are we, what does religion have to say and what does America have to say? Are we the only true free country? Surely love is love and that is all that counts.
  • I didn't see this docu, Tony, but I couldn't give a rat's what people are.  You are right.  Love is love. 

My son is gay as a maypole, gorgeously camp and wildly accepted down in Brighton where he lives and studies at the Uni. 

No wonder he wants to stay down there, where he feels comfortable and at home, if what you're saying about the docu is that some people (many people?) still have problems about others' sexuality.  I say (and I could swear with a four letter word here but as it's WN I won't) blow them!!

Rupert's a real sweetie, has loads of friends of all colours, persuasions and sexes and bl**dy good luck to him.  He's a lovely bloke and that's what people remember.  My bloke, the drag-racing race-engine-builder couldn't be less gay yet he and Ru get on like the proverbial.

I thought that Paul might object to Ru at first, coming from such a testosterone-fuelled world and life - then they met and for one thing discovered they both genuinely liked each other, for another they both had a love of looking for hours round antique shops.  Dragged me round the Lanes in Brighton for ages.

They really do look like the odd couple now when they are together - and love each other to bits.

I'll never forget when Ru came out to me as gay.  I wasn't for one thing the least bit surprised, knowing my son well.  Secondly, Ru's own dad buried his head in the sand about it being of the upper-class Winchester/Oxford type who'd gone through all that at school but no way wanted to look at it in his own son. 

S*d what anyone else thinks, is my message to anyone gay.  And I don't think anyone knows what the so-called God might think.  How can they possibly know?  Have they the arrogance to assume they are the only ones with a direct line?

We all have a direct line ... and I'm Buddhist.
  • We're against smoking, too.
  • I actually deleted the line about me being a Buddhist so that is weird. Love is love as said and I tell my girls.  Yeah I had a debate last week about whether gay men are born or raised: like corn crops.  I know what I think and guess we all do too.
  • It was the indoctrination of the children which got me. The kids didn't even know what the word meant.
  • That family seemed to leave even the wonderful Louis speechless. Absolutely stunning TV in the stunned sense of the word. The young women were particularly interesting; never quite sure if they still believed what they were saying or not. Just felt sorry for the younger children who clearly didn't understand what they were saying. The views expressed by the family and the picketing of the funerals of soldiers were just repugnant to me.
  • Oh dear - rather glad I didn't see it or my blood pressure would have been through the roof.  I've lots of gay friends, I can't understand why people consider them 'different'.  People are people.  Smoking - I'm a reformed heavy smoker but I don't nag those who do.  What right has anyone to be so judgemental?
  • Joke, Betsie! Yes, I could hardly believe they were going - by plane - to picket a funeral. Hadn't the soldier's family suffered enough?
  • Picketing a funeral? That's disgusting.
    I saw clips of the programme advertising it, but didn't see it.
    Everyone has a right to their own viewpoint, and to live their lives as they believe. Gay- so what! It's how that person was made. There've been gays for centuries, and fortunately we are now enlightened enough not to execute them, or as in the 20th century, put them in prison.
  • I thought you meant God was anti-smoking!
  • I didn't dare watch the programme or I know I'd have thrown the remote at the screen. Free speech is one thing. Allowing that family to display their warped views in public reflects very badly on the integrity (such as it is) of the American legal system.
  • I’ve been reading this but didn’t post because I wasn’t sure what to say. I didn’t watch the program (probably a good job), I may have done but I hadn’t known it was on. I watch little TV these days, mostly dramas and only catch the News if Alys happens to be watching. I’ve seen enough anti-gay b*ll**s in the name of religion to know what is being discussed, though. I think picketing a funeral for any reason is disgusting. Even murderers like Fred West and Dr Death had the right to a private and peaceful funeral. Who were the soldiers anyway, what was the point in that? Were they gay soldiers or something?

For one thing, I don’t consider myself to be a ‘fag’ as that’s a term used for gay men, and I’m a lesbian. I don’t really like to use the word ‘gay’ for myself either. I prefer lesbian or dyke, and if someone was to ask me for a technical medical definition I might say I’m bisexual rather than homosexual. I’d rather not because I’d rather use a word that didn’t have the word ‘sex’ in it, as that’s not the definition of my life. Also saying I’m bisexual makes men think that they might stand a chance and I’m in a monogamous relationship. But then saying I’m not bisexual is lying because if I look at my life over all and my behaviour, then I would have to say that I am bisexual. Most of the time I just think that it’s no-one else’s business! Certainly not people I don’t know and have no connection to. I hate being put into a category about anything, whether it’s the colour of my hair (I’m blonde) or being female, or the question of whether I’m English or Welsh, whatever category you come up with to stick me in I’ll find an argument as to why I shouldn’t be in it. Even human, because I was a cat in a previous existence.

I wrote an article about this whole categorisation thing in Velvet magazine last year. It’s available online here:
    <a href=”http://www.planetsappho.com/lesbian-writing/bisexuals-join-the-party.html” target=”_blank”>http://www.planetsappho.com/lesbian-writing/bisexuals-join-the-party.html</a>
  • dagnabit the link doesn't work, but you can copy and paste anyway, if you're interested in reading the article.
  • i don't see the difference between straight and gay. as a straight woman, i'm not defined by who i choose to invite into my bed, but if i was gay i'm sure i would be. what's the big deal? people are people, and the simple act of carnality in whatever form it may take is neither here nor there in what makes somebody a worthy and worthwhile human being. i think the world needs to get a grip and start focusing on things that are more important.
  • So that's how you spell dagnabit. I watched through one jaundiced eye. It just confirmed that Homo sapiens is wildly, wildly absurd; very lost
    and very gullible.
  • Oh my god I thought this would be a dead thread because I was ranting through anger. I am happy that so many people have added their intelligent and thoughtful views on here. Though I must admit "gay as a maypole" made me laugh, great phrase. I was also startled to see Louis almost speechless. I had started going off him with his last batch of celebrity promo films as they seemed to be. He's come back good with this using the original style that made him famous. It is also the first time I can remember where he looked angry in one of his films.
    It is true about being defined by sexuality too. I'm a man and that is that. Though if I had boyfriends instead of girlfriends (not that I can remember what that was like) I would be gay. I can't remember hearing anybody I know say "Oh I'll have to introduce you to my hetro mate, he's great." It's just mate. The reason I was so angered about this is because I had an argument/debate with somebody two weeks ago about the same thing and it shocked me that there was still this awful objection in our society. The thing that angered me was after all the intelligent debate between us she obviously had no recourse and simply said "well no matter what it's still a sin to god". I was blown away by that.
  • I watched the programme, as I like most of Louis' interviews, but was appalled at the bigotted views of the church families' hatred of homosexuals in the name of  a loving God!  The indoctrination of innocent children and the demonstrations at the funerals of dead soldiers disgusted me.  I was incredulous at the tolerance of the passing motorists.

I know there's free speech, but I think some of the adult protesters should have been put in jail.  On the other hand, I feel quite sorry for the young girls' and their fate - they don't really live, just exist.

• Yes, TT, you're so right and confirm to your son that tolerance and love are paramount in this life.

I must be having a bad day - forgive my aberrant apostrophe, but I started to write girls' fate and then inserted a couple of words in between!  This and typing 49 for nine fives - it's time I went to bed, I think!     
  • I truly believe that if there is a 'God' figure that he doesn't really care what we do.  What life should be about is grabbing every chance and living it to the full.  These hate mongers believe in is nothing more than a substitute parental figure who punishes people.

My belief is that 'God' is the energy source that we started from and where we return.  The same energy that flows through everyone of us.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega".
  • Just to comment on the picketing of soldiers' funerals - it isn't because the soldiers were gay.
    They believe that the soldiers died because the USA allows homosexuality, and God is thus punishing the US army.
    Don't look for the logic in this - I'm pretty sure there isn't any.
  • Yeah I think you are right. They believed that anyone who condones or accepts homosexuality would be punished too. So for loving your fellow man or woman as they are, like I'm sure Jesus instructed us to do, they say god will punish us too. Go figure as American kids say.
  • Like it or not, God appeared on earth as Jesus Christ and the gospels togeher with the epistles are absolutely clear. Romans 1:27 & 1corinthians 14:33. You don't have to be a Chrisian but if you are you cannot second guess the word of God or add your own bits to his word. If you don't believe, that's fine but don't claim a belief with your own bits added
  • CH is that in relation to the abuse of Christianity by the hateful family we saw in Louis Theroux's film?
  • I meant to watch that programme but missed it.
    It's difficult to add to such an emotive discussion without risking offense - but - I don't believe in God so what he threatens to do to me if I don't accept or condone homosexuality doesn't really worry me too much.
    Doesn't it make you sad that some system, somehwhere, has failed this family in a disastrous way? I don't think I could feel angry with them, I think I pity them for their lack of open-mindedness and for their blinkered view of what I perceive to be a wonderful world in all its colourful diversity.
  • "Doesn't it make you sad that some system, somehwhere, has failed this family in a disastrous way?"

I think that judging by the film the only system that has let them down is their pastor Gramps. They seem to be a very privileged family. Good education, jobs etc. So it does seem to be a strange way to live.

"Like it or not, God appeared on earth as Jesus Christ."

That is not a fact but a belief. People cannot inflict a story they hold through faith onto others as the truth. I could easily say; like it or not the whole of the bible is a load of old fairy tales.
  • At fifteen I declared I wanted to be ordained sometime in the future. All my life I've struggled with 'beliefs' until I've very firmly settled on atheism. Reaching that decision has actually made it much easier to be tolerant and understanding of people. (But difficult for some people to be tolerant of me.)

Having just put myself in a box, I want to say how much I hate labels! Most tendencies, of whatever kind, are mostly on scales, aren't they? At what point does anyone become homosexual, or even bisexual? I know I have a "feminine" side as much as a "masculine" side (for want of better words). There are men I think are wonderful and women I find it hard to get on with. So are these labels only associated with sexual attraction? I'd even go so far as to say where, on the sliding scale, does a sexual relationship begin and end? Is it only penetrative activity? Is it restricted to certain organs? Hmmmm I'll just say that once you get rid of the labels it just doesn't matter. It's people that matter. Full stop.

(JH- I haven't read yor article yet, but I will.)
  • "Is it only penetrative activity? Is it restricted to certain organs?"

I guess that is where a lot of people miss the point. Ok I may be speaking out of turn here as I am not gay, but surely gay, straight etc is all defined by who you love. Yes sex is a large part of it but you can be gay or straight and be celibate so that shows it is more than sex. We have sex with people we love or feel for. Yes I know sometimes for fun or whatever. But at the end of it all sexuality is really loveuality. Labels are not great but hey we have them, as long as we don't twist them or use them to separate then fine.

I class myself as straight not only because I am only attracted to women, but KNOW I could never have a LOVING relationship with a man. This is why homophobes and bigots bug me so much. All they are doing is saying that love is wrong.
  • It is up to the rest of us to say no one person is right. Love is diverse and the most important thing is how we treat each other in this world.
  • "Like it or not, God appeared on earth as Jesus Christ and the gospels togeher with the epistles are absolutely clear. Romans 1:27 & 1corinthians 14:33."

So what's in the Bible is concrete fact, is it?  I think not.  Let me get one thing straight.  Religion is belief.  There is nothing on this planet that will convince me that men are more important than women (where you have a father you must have a mother).  Therefore the whole God the Father thing just doesn't cut any ice with me.  I'm no feminist, as I don't believe one is more important than the other, full stop.  We have to have both in order to survive.

I'm sorry if what I'm going to say offends anyone, as that's not my intention, but I do not believe in God, and there is nothing that p***es me off more than people trying to force their beliefs down my bloody throat.  I will not have it.

As for the original topic of this thread - gay, straight, somewhere in-between or undecided makes absolutely no difference to who we are.  I have gay and lesbian friends, I have straight friends, I have French friends, British friends, Spanish friends ...  blah-bloody-blah, makes no difference, and I will always be very happy to p*** on anyone who tries to tell me otherwise.  It won't wash.
  • Over and understood TP.
    I'm sure all here, whatever our beliefs or un- belief (for want of a better term) and however strongly we feel would not try to force those beliefs onto anyone else.
    Perhaps this is another one of those topics that should now fade.
  • Religion isn't a belief, it's an institution.  Faith and belief is a whole other matter.
  • I would agree with Stirling Faith is a very differant matter from what is the institution of the Church. I am well used to and have no problem being mocked for my own faith which is Christian.Faith is just that though , people do not believe it was or is true or even possible or they know it was and is true.

Something switched on inside me to tell me that it is indeed true and possible.I would say that was in spite of the established Churches not thanks to them.So many churches of religion twist the love and purity that is their foundation to suit the politics of the churches and that is just sad.

We have to seek and search , make our own mind up and then feel what we feel.That can either be faith or nothing. C.S. Lewis wrote some outstanding books on the subject.

Some of my own best friends are Muslim and we have some great conversations and learn a lot from each other with mutual respect and love for example.Apologies if that seems off the point.It is the mutual love,respect and understanding I am attempting (poorly)to convey.

This is a fascinating thread and I must say it speaks so well of this forum and the people that such a sensitive matter as this can be discussed sensibly and with compassion with what seems to me as an overall view of simple fairness and respect for each other.
    As for the actual and original point . My thinking for anyone interested ,wither you believe Jesus was who he said he was, or that he was a prophet , or was a teacher, or dont believe he was anything at all , the fact remains that his legacy of teaching is simply Love each other.
    There is no place in his teaching for hatred or harm to anyone.
    If anyone says that he said otherwise they have never read what he is actually reported to have said by the journalists of the time.I dont see it as that complicated. Love everyone.

Thanks this was very very interesting.

Aegean
    ------
  • Carol, I'm sorry if that came across as really angry, but I don't like it when people set out their beliefs as fact and expect others to accept it whether they like it or not. 

I have my own beliefs, but I won't go into them here because I don't feel like adding that to this discussion as it's irrelevant.  What is relevant is that Aegean is right; what matters is that we respect each other (love, I feel, is a trifle strong, considering what some people are capable of).  Respect goes a long way.
  • Josie

Hiya. I have just read your article. It is the most honest piece I have read in a long time.
    I have a woman friend (I properly mean friend) of over twenty years who has had similar experience to the division you describe on many occassions within her own rights group especially when she was younger.As you say (if I read the article right)often people who profess individuality and rights have themselves very low tolerance of anyone even slightly outwith their own perception of acceptable.

If anyone has not read the article you will find it will stimulate the little grey cells.

Josie , do not consider a career in politics Your writing is too honest *S*
    Seriously, very good.

As for love itself being a trifle strong, probably. Perhaps better described as to me it was the instruction and is therefore the goal.Although I fail badly, more than most,love for all must remain the goal as from love the branches of tolerance, respect, compassion and so much more grow.

Wow ... I do not think I have ever seen this anywere on a  forum before ,religion and politics mentioned on the same thread and nobody has yelled out anyoneso far. No wonder they call us a worship of writers :-) We are doing ok.

Very impressed.

Aegean
    -----
  • JH - Just read your article. It's hard hitting and absolutely correct. It's a wonder to me why people don't just accept people.
  • Taffeta Punk well said. As for that programme well what else can be said, I mean people who actually are happy to hear that people get cancer or get killed in an accident and they call themselves loving christians? NOT.
  • It's okay TP, I understood why you were upset, and hopefully everyone will.
    Religion/belief is an emotive and contentious subject.
    We believe or don't believe. It does not give anyone the right (in any level of society) to say their beliefs are better or more just. Look how much trouble has been caused over the centuries and in different countries because of religion.
    I accept that some believe and some don't- and that is okay with me.
  • Wow, I came back home after my flying visit to my Mum’s (and had to have the car towed home by Britannia Rescue as well but that’s another story) and saw that there were more posts on this thread so thought I’d catch up. Now I find out that three (or four?) people have mentioned they’ve read my article and all very complimentary about it! My head is swelling as we speak. Lol. I agree I could never work in politics because I always see both sides and couldn’t be steadfast to one side or the other.

As for the original topic, it does make me wonder when I hear a sentence that begins ‘God hates…’ because it seems to be a contradiction in terms. God doesn’t hate. Full stop. I’m not a Christian, I’m pagan but I was brought up in a semi-Christian household and went to church as a child. I do believe that Jesus was a real person, but I also believe that if he knew what had happened in his name over the last two thousand years he’d be very sorry. I have also read the Judas Gospel and that’s an eye-opener for everyone who is even remotely interested in theology and the politics of a theocracy.
  • hey josie. im a Christian and i agree with what you said about Jesus feeling very sorry for the actions of humans, as well as the Church over the past 2000 years. i personally don't agree with homosexuality. in the Bible it says it is wrong in the eyes of God, and i can't just ignore that. but i would NEVER use it to judge someone or hate that person for it. my uncle is gay and he's great!! he's a journalist in the great land of Oz, and he probably encourages me the most in my writing.

i will probably be one of the first to put their hand up and admit the Church has screwed PLENTY of times over the past years.

people who use things like a person's sexual preference against them and slanders them, and generally destroys them are horrible. i can't stand people who judge. iam very aware that sometimes i too am a bit hasty in deciding whether i like a person or not, but im a human, not a saint, as is everyone.
  • Sorry, but for those who can't or won't agree with homosexuality as a concept, consider this - who do you love?  Do you choose who you love because of their sex or in spite of it?  Does it matter?

OK, it takes a man and a woman to make a child, but that isn't the sole purpose of love.  We are all human (well, there are exceptions, I grant you), and love is relative.

I love my other half with passion, and I also love my best friend, because she's a wonderful person.  In the end, isn't that all that counts?
  • The most important thing in this world is love - love for other human beings, a mother's love for her children, a person's love for her or his husband/wife or partner.  It's quite immaterial  whether that partner if hetero or homosexual;  he or she is a human being.

I was born Jewish, christened Catholic, married in the Church of England, attended, at various times, services in Methodist, Baptist, Vineyard Churches or just prayed at home occasionally.  I believe in one God, by whatever name he's known, and also in Jesus. Although nowadays I don't go to church very much - occaasionally to an Anglican church with our grandsons or a Vineyard church with daughter, but try to behave as a Christian, yet some people say you can't be a Christian if you don't go to church every Sunday.

• Who's to say what God hates.  Anybody have a personal line to his office.
  • Gosh, what a fantastic thread. Not entirely sure why it's in the Writing Problems category, but never mind... This is the community spirit of Talkback in action - a lot of diverse beliefs and opinions, but a readiness to share and a willingness to listen to those who disagree. Marvellous!

I caught the tail end of the Louis Theroux documentary and I concur with what everybody else has said about it. One thing I will add, though, is the great sense of sadness I had at the end, that there will be people watching the documentary and assuming that these guys are representative of Christianity as a whole. They are not. They are one, pretty much self-propagating sect - they have a loose affiliation to the Baptist church, but their pastor appears to have set himself up as an absolute authority subject to nothing but (his own reading of) the Bible. I have no doubt that they believe they are sincere. I give them grudging respect for not buying into the warped version of evangelical Christianity that George W. has used to try and justify the Iraq war (even though they've used another seemingly equally warped version in its place). But I find it impossible to accept that by their actions they are doing the work of God or witnessing to the existence of a God of love. There was not a single quote from the New Testament (the words of Jesus or his followers) used to back up any of their actions.

I am a Christian, proud of it, and proud to say that I believe and follow the Bible. I have also for many years been a member of the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement (www.lgcm.org.uk). I reside fairly comfortably somewhere near the hetero end of the Kinsey scale, but have a number of Christian friends who would identify themselves as gay, lesbian or bisexual. This includes some who are now in faithful, long-term, same-sex relationships and it has been a pleasure to celebrate those relationships with them.

I don't believe one can choose to be gay. But accepting Jesus as God and living a life in accordance with his teachings IS a choice, and my gay friends who have chosen to be Christians have also had to reconcile their lives with some stern pronouncements in the Bible, in the history and practice of the churches to which they belong, and in society. Not one of them has chosen to ignore the difficult scriptures that CH mentions, rather they have engaged with those texts (often, wrestled with them) and eventually found peace with themselves and their beliefs. The reading of these difficult scriptures has so often been coloured by social convention and political expediency that they are not quite the simple condemnation of all things non-hetero that most fundamentalists (and, sadly, some traditional orthodox Christians) assume them to be. The LCGM has a section on its website headed "But the Bible..." which looks at these passages in detail, for those who are interested.

So, it always irks and saddens me when a group can make a pronouncement like "God Hates Fags" and it is seen to be an absolute representation of Christianity. The God I believe I know was not into hate.

I suspect this debate has probably run its course now, but if anyone would like to ask me anything further on this, please feel free to drop me a private email.
  • Yes this has definatly been a fascinating thread.

I thought that I should post this link as it is drawing to a close. If anyone ever wants to know anything about the Christian aspect of faith and get the hard to get answers or at least be in an enviroment where you can ask them without feeling out there and basically make your own mind up , I just have to suggest attending an alpha course. Costs nothing ,at the least very stimulating, usually good people to meet and sure to be one running wherever you are.

I am a little reluctant to make this actual post as I am not sure if everyone will approve. If anyone doesn't sorry. No offence is meant to anyone. I have simply seen alpha course help so many people in so many ways and allow thousands of people to experience answers they never thought would happen. It changed my life.

link is.

http://alpha.org/default.asp
  • I thought the Alpha people were against the practice of homosexuality?
  • Yeah I too have heard quite a few disquieting things about Alpha too.
  • I honestly could not tell you what the alpha peoples policies are on any one thing.(I will try to find out if you want me to), It doesn't really work like that. They are simply the supplier of resource material to prompt discussion basically. To my experience each alpha course is simply organised by local folk who just provide a venue, some grub and try to guide the discussion along each week.Therefore you are likely to find the organisers a mixed bunch of people and personalities, from a very wide variety of backgrounds.Alpha course only provide the resource material as said and sometimes not all of that is used.Alpha course is not like a travelling bunch of people, basically just a resource supplier. For example until last year alpha course only had one full time employee in Scotland, I think there is two now ,dealing with orders for resource material etc.
    In every situation I have known it each course is led by ordinary folk.Occasionaly a Minister,Vicar or Priest but not that often as that can be more off putting than a help to be blunt as it is all geared to people making their own mind up .

It was televised on ITV a couple of years ago following a pretty average bunch of people following the course each week and how they felt at the start, each week and at the end. Some changed views, some didn't. It was hosted by Sir David Frost and was a pretty fair representation of what alpha course was/is.

It is VERY much about what the people attending feel,think and what they want to discuss.The DVD is a talk by Nicky Gumble that lasts about 30 minutes and each talk is about a differant discussion point based on Christianity. It is geared to discuss and experience for yourself where or if possible I would say. It is very much interactive, not just sitting being preached at or to.

I have seen men and women disagree with every single discussion on every week of the course, but still enjoy it and still come along each week.I think that is why I stuck with it.

Usually runs for about 11 weeks and each meeting is about 90 minutes to a couple of hours including a bite to eat and then tea/coffee etc, to allow time for relaxed get to know each other and chats in an very informal way also.

Sometimes an "alpha course" in a town or city is linked to a mainstream church, like Church of Scotland, Catholic Church, Church of England etc (all support alpha course as far as I know).At the conference I went to the leaders of all the main Scottish mainstream Churches spoke in support which was something in itself.

Sometimes they are just organised by independednt people who want to share something that has made their life better. The alpha course has been very succesful in prisons also and the courses running in prisons has grown in an major way.Sometimes at the least it can help people dump the garbage hurts and pains from their past, if that is all it does then is something in itself.I can only tell you how I have found it from a personal point and I have done my very best to be as honest as I can here.If it hadn't really helped my life and my wife's ,I would never have mentioned it.As simply I would love it to help somebody else in the same way too.

Alpha course mainly in terms of resources provide the discussion DVD and accompanying journal where you can make your own notes on what you think.Other than that they basically only supply the posters , invites etc to get it organised. They have published some books also, most by Nicky Gumble who takes a wage only not a royalty which I thought was interesting.The profit from the book sales helps to provide resource materials where no funds are available for them. Nicky is a former barrister and was previously a convinced aethiest.He is now an ordained vicar at Holy Trinity ,Brompton. I have met Nicky and again I can only say I found him to be as sound as pound and a real nice guy.
    There probably does exist worrying reports and the likes about alpha course as there does with anything that challenges or is succesful, but I can only speak from my own experience and say I found it to be fascinating and a great way to learn and experience what I just could not get or understand previously. I did not find it pushy in any way at all and ,to me anyway, it did not skirt issues like what about other religions etc or aspects of the Christian faith that I had previously not a clue about. It was challenging and sometimes the discussion parts could be pretty heated but it was always stimulating. I also liked the fact that I have never known anyone asked to not come back because of their own views or beliefs. It was interesting to hear other peoples views. If it had all been preached at me it would not have worked out for me personally.I do not mean that to criticise Church or Ministers it was just the way I was at the time. I do not know what else I can really tell you about it.This is just my view of it, there may well be aspects I have missed or maybe even I am wrong about , but it is just a report on how I have found it to be.

I have no official link with them, I don't work for them, I just help organise some of the courses in our area as I am an elder with Church of Scotland now and we help find venues etc.

Only training is a conference once a year at which there are seminars which give you basic guidance for potential or current leaders on how to keep a discussion flowing , help all to put their views over without ridicule, how to help guide people to get in touch with people or organisations who can help them professionaly who may come along with underlying problems such as alcoholism, drug addiction etc. Alpha course organisers/leaders do not council people who indicate they have a problem in such areas (unless that happens to be their job) but they try to show the basics of how to help folk link up with organisations who can help them and these are often outwith any chuch link, whichever is most appropriate. There is some guidance for leaders on how to speak with people who have been bereaved as obviously ,you want to to help hurting people not say anything that would do the opposite. That is basically what happens at the training or conference. Their is specific seminars usually on youth work, prison group organisation,etc. Sometimes alpha courses may be organised for women only if it is requested , as often there can be hurting women who just want to discuss matters in a female enviroment. Again I have no idea if alpha course officially approve or disaprove of that but if it is the right thing to help people that has been organised too.Genrally the courses are a mixed group though.
    If I can help provide any answers about it please email me at anytime. I am not sure how you access my email via the forum, if you have any problem finding it or if I have not made it available just let me know and I will sort it out somehow.
    I do not want to bug anyone or come over as a pushy pain in the butt. I just thought if I do not try to explain what alpha course actually is then it would not help anyone. I hope thats ok with the members of the forum.

if I have bugged anyone on the group by suggesting alpha as a source to find out a bit more , I do apologise in advance. I can only asure you that is not my intention. It simply helped us in a major way. When anything does that in your life it is your instinct to want to see it help other people too as mentioned above.

Hope that is ok and that I have explained what it actually is a little.

It is always a bit scary don't you think on a forum to be involved in any discussion involving religion, politics and the like. I am just so aware I dont want to bug anyone.

I have been utterly amazed how this thread has managed to run without anyone being aggresive to anyone else, as the original issue and resulting branch issues raised are very sensitive.

I dont know what I can say other than thank you to all for listening, your tolerance, intelligence and compassion.
    Hard to know wither it is nothing to do with the world of wrting as such , I just personally feel that life matters have to concern us,whatever our views as we are all scribes of today and our writing will at some point leave a legacy of what we feel. Therefore the more we know and the more questions we can have answered the better we will be able to do that.

Thanks again for all the patience here. Amazing.

Aegean
    -------
  • Aegean, were you using that post as a cheat toward you 1000 daily word count LOL. I agree it has been quite a civilised thread. That in itself rests some of the fears I felt watching that documentary. It seems we can all live in a world of such diverse faiths, religions or dogmas and still respect each other. I have been a little worried about some of the posts that verged on preaching and using god as a fact not an individual belief. Also the posts that stated that being gay was wrong, yet even these were civilised and open minded about the discussion.
    Just when this thread seems to be ending it keeps waking up again.