Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Round Brittany On a Bottle

edited October 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Full details of my impending, intrepid voyage around Brittany with just one bottle of wine a day to keep me going, can be found on my website,
      www.writersinfrance.com
    Any encouragement from fellow writers would be most welcome, as I'm sure you will appreciate going into the French equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle in darkest November is not to be undertaken lightly.
  • Bonne chance!
  • Et bon voyage!
  • Aussi bon appetit!
  • OK, Jay's in the lead with a less than two words message of encouragement.
      After 6 years 'doing' French at secondary school, you must have a better command of the language. Let's try, "Can you lend me a corkscrew, mine has given me a hernia?"
  • That wasn't Schumi - it was me! I wonder how many other messages from me have appeared under the wrong name this afternoon!

(note to self: write out ten times "I must check my log in name every time"!)
  • Voulez-vous me preter un tire-buchon, le mien m'a donne une hernie.
  • Show off Jay!
    I'll use English, have a good journey.
  • Me too!  Take care and have a good trip.
  • Such is the power of celebrity(?) these days that when I read the subject of your posting, I immediately thought of Britney Spears - it's not even the same spelling for goodness' sake.  I had to open the thread to find how you proposed to circumnavigate Britney astride a bottle.  I think I need a lie down/medication/a holiday.

Have a great trip.  By the way, my French always became much more fluent after a few glasses of red - it's worth a try.  Au revoir, not adieu.
  • Hey, TT, good to see you up and about and posting.  Take care.  Hxxx
  • Bonjour Tristesse!
  • fascinating captain.......thanks for all the catch-phrases........all I'm short of now is 'my grandmother's postillion has been struck by lightning'....I'm sure someone will oblige
  • Have a great trip!
  • As a teenager one of our daughters went to Paris with her friend for a few days. I rang the hotel to check they'd arrived safely and asked the receptionist (in French) if she spoke English. She said no, so I carried on speaking in French with my husband looking suitably impressed!

It turned out the room had been booked in the other girl's name, so the receptionist didn't recognise our daughter's name. I thought I'd describe her as the girl with very long hair and said (how embarrassing!): "La fille avec les chevaux tres longs."

Seemed to amuse the receptionist - she couldn't stop laughing!
  • Good luck Ecrivain. Oh, and by the way, I remember a bit of French from secondary school, too. Let me try, let me try...(waving arm wildly above head while sitting up straight)
    Ou est le ballon? Le ballon de Claudette Marchaud est dans le jardin.
    Pretty good, hey?  :)
  • Island Girl, why is her balloon in the garden? And who is Claudette Marchaud?
  • Maybe Claudette is the person who put la plume de ma tante sur la table!
  • We used Longmans Audio tapes, on a huge clunky machine.  The idea was to hear French spoken, but all I can really remember is "Ecoutez et repetez".
  • I used to mark French GCSE oral tests and I've never forgotten the howls of laughter at one of the examiners' co-ordnation meetings when this little gem came up.

Task: explain to the doctor that your back hurts.

Candidate:  Pardon, docteur.  J'ai un grand pain dans mon derrière.
  • In case anyone was wondering, I can spell co-ordination.  Sometimes my radio mouse can't keep up with the speed of my typing and misses out letters.
  • As opposed to a baguette?
  • But if he did have a large loaf of bread in his backside, he may well be suffering with a bad back. Or have I mis-translated?
  • No, you're spot on.  I hadn't thought of that.