Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Shortlisted for a Travel Writing Comp

edited March 2008 in - Writing Tales
I'm dancing around the room! Will you join me? What shall we do? A stately waltz? Ah, no I'm in the mood for breakdancing!
Actually I'm thrilled and gutted in equal measure.
Thrilled because I'm one of just three travel writers shortlisted for a Wanderlust/Cox & Kings competition. The winner will go to Peru and, along with a fabulous holiday, will also be commissioned to write a feature about Peru for Wanderlust.
So why am I also gutted? Because the final winner and and two runners-up will be announced at The Sunday Times Literary Festival. I'm invited to spend two nights at Oxford, attend a black tie dinner when the winner will be announced. AND I can browse the festival programme to choose which talks/readings I wish to attend.
So why am I gutted? Because I'm coming to the UK two weeks after the event! Arghh!
I don't think my attendance will effect whether I win or not; I'm already a confirmed runner-up. But both hubs and I are seriously gutted that we're going to miss the Festival.
Never mind. This is the closest I've come to winning a big travel writing competition and it will look good on the old CV.
Takes a bow and exits stage center to go and do some more breakdancing.

Comments

• Shame you'll miss the Festival but ........ Yippee for being on the shortlist!!
  • Well done Claudia. I'm not much good at dancing but I'm pleased for you - and cheering. :D
  • edited March 2008
    Well done! Er ... do you think, if I put on your black tie, that I could ...? Oh, well, it was just a thought.

Fingers crossed that you win.
  • I tried breakdancing around the room on your behalf Claudia. Think I've broken something :-) Many, many congrats. Shame about the festival but this really is a feather in your cap. Good luck for the final result.
  • Yeehah! Well done, Claudia. I don't suppose you can alter your plans and bring your international travel forward by a fortnight? Nah, I guess you would already have looked at that option. Fantastic news, though.

(I just did a bit of tap dancing on your behalf but I fell off the sink.) :-)
  • Thought you said 'lap dancing' for a minute!
  • Wouldn't want to scare the patrons too much, Jay.
  • Congratulations, that's great news! A pity you can't be there in person when the announcement is made.
  • That's fantastic news! Well done.
  • Well done Claudia!
  • Congratulations on your success!!! :)
  • Fantastic news, Claudia.
    Shame about the festival, but it would be pretty nerve wracking anyway. This way, you don't have to practise your 'I don't mind not winning' face - not that you would need it I'm sure. How will you stand the wait for the results? So exciting!
  • Wow, Claudia! Good for you, great news! :-)
  • fabulous news, Claudia!
  • What wonderful news, Claudia. It is a shame you are going to miss the festival though.
  • Excellent news Claudia, well done.
    Shame you can't attend the festival but that doesn't take away from the achievement.
    :)
  • Claudia, well done on being short-listed! One of only three? That's impressive! Not long now until it's announced.... you excited? I'll keep my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you! I would cross my arms and legs too but I think that'll make walking difficult ;)

Good luck!
  • edited March 2008
    Thank you for all the congrats! Yes I'm chuffed to bits and I don't really mind if I win the top prize or not - being shortlisted down to the last three feels fantastic.

:) :) :)
    ;) ;) ;)
    :D :D :D
    :P :P :P
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Well done Claudia, pity you can't be there, but do make sure you tell them you can't, as you're arriving the week after on a planned trip- you never know what they might do. And if you win that will work well. Fingers crossed.
  • Well done Claudia - bad luck on not being able to attend - fingers crossed that you go onto win
  • Claudia that's fantastic - congratulations. Can someone attend and collect on your behalf if you win? Enjoy your celebrations.
  • Well done! :-)
  • Fantastic news Claudia. Well done.
  • Well done Claudia. I would say a waltz is a bit sedate if you are excited, I would jumping up and down and shaking it all about is more appropriate! :-)
  • Sorry I meant to say - I would say jumping up and down....
  • Well done Claudia - delighted for you :D
  • Congratulations Claudia! :-)
  • Just noticed this one, Claudia - and certainly want to say congratulations!!! Well done on being shortlisted, whatever else does or doesn't happen. That is marvellous news.

Cecilia :-)
  • Congratulations Claudia, bet you're over the moon and rightly so. Enjoy.....:-D
  • Ah, another Easter bunny. They're breeding like er ...
  • Congratulations Claudia fantastic news. :P
  • Wonderful news, Claudia. Congratulations!
  • Well done, Claudia! Hope you win, though - that trip to Peru sounds worth it, never mind the prestige for the old CV!
  • I started thanking you all individually because I didn't want to bring this thread back to the front page (don't want anyone to think I'm milking it), but I'm afraid the 'thanks' thingy is taking ages to register each time and I'm in a bit of a rush.
    So - BIG thank you again for all your kind words!
  • Claudia, this is really terrific news. We all know how hard you've worked for this. It's a huge vindication of your skills, persistence and talent. I'm really pleased for you. Perhaps just a teeny bit envious too, but really delighted at your well-deserved success.
  • edited April 2008
    Received the official e-mail today; I was runner-up.
    Am I disappointed? Yes, of course but still thrilled to have got so close and I've won a £500 Cox & Kings consolation voucher to put towards a holiday.
    I chatted with OH about the disappointment and the darlin' said, "you were probably the chosen winner, but they picked someone else because they could attend the dinner."
    Ah well, upwards and onwards...
    :)
  • well done, Claudia
  • Well done, Claudia. Bad luck on just missing out but that's still great going!
  • Congratulations Caudia, even getting shortlisted was impressive, but runner-up is a great achievement. Enjoy your holiday! :)
  • Wonderful prize, and well done on being runner-up- a bonus mark on your CV.
  • edited April 2008
    That's a great achievement Claudia! Well done and enjoy choosing how to spend your voucher. When you are on your holiday don't forget to say at least twice a day 'I won this with my writing' OUT LOUD. (I do that when I sit on the garden chairs I bought with my first story money - drives OH mad but I don't care!) :)
  • Really well done!!!
  • Wow, £500. That's cool. I wish that were me :-) Congratulations! I'm doing a little tap dance in your honour (tap tap tap tappety tap - tadaaaaa). :-)
  • Well done Claudia !
    As heather says, on your holiday make it known that you are A WRITER. In fact, insist on starting conversations with strangers that start with "I am a writer, what do you do?" You don't need to continue with the conversation after that point - people will be flockig to chat to you and ask for your card. :)
  • edited April 2008
    Well done Claudia! (Your OH could well be right! :D)
  • Very, very well done Claudia :)
  • edited April 2008
    Congratulations, Claudia - a £500 holiday voucher isn't something to be sneezed at!

As some of us can't tap dance, would you accept a multi-national conga line?!! :D
  • Congrats! You've done very well to get so far!
  • Congratulations and a special Hush-Puppy-Hug to you. (:D)
    HP
    XXX