Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What's wrong with this?

edited April 2014 in Writing
I've been editing a book all day, my brain's tired and my eyes are drooping.

I've just come across the following phrase and I feel there's something wrong with it.
What do you think? I can't think straight!

'He was sure he wouldn’t sleep tonight, he thought'

Comments

• Don't think the 'he thought' is actually necessary with the rest.

He's making a statement of fact 'he was sure he wouldn't sleep tonight.'
  • If you're brain is tired and eyes are droopy you should probably take a break from editing now.
  • Yes, that's it, Carol.

Yes, you're right, PM!
  • Oh, hang on, there's a bit more to the sentence which means I can't take away 'he thought':

'He was sure he wouldn’t sleep tonight, he thought, as he climbed into his bed and switched off the lamp.'
  • Needs to be switched around maybe:

As he climbed into his bed and switched off the lamp he was sure he wouldn't sleep tonight.

• With no expectation of sleep, he climbed into bed and switched off the lamp.
  • He climbed into bed knowing he wouldn't sleep and then switched off the lamp.
  • 'I won't sleep tonight' he thought as he climbed into bed.

Now it's time you did the same, TN, and you will sleep because we've solved your dilemma for you!
  • You obviously need a good night's sleep yourself, TN. :)

Night night.
  • You'll see more clearly in the morning - as will he. :-)
  • Thanks, all.

I'll go back to it today and look again with fresh eyes.

:-B
  • Those are the words of a knackered brain, TN! I hope you've had a good night's sleep, I thought!
  • ana, I have gone with your phrase.

Thank you!
  • Next question, should I change O.K. to Okay?
    It just looks a bit odd when followed by a comma: e.g. 'O.K.,' she said.
  • OK, no stops; it's an abbreviation for all correct (they couldn't spell) but the Oxford Style Manual gives it without stops. They also say no to ok or okay.
  • I always use OK. OK? ~:>
  • OK, no stops; it's an abbreviation for all correct (they couldn't spell) but the Oxford Style Manual gives it without stops. They also say no to ok or okay.
    Eek -that's interesting - I generally write 'okay'. Now I discover it might not be not okay!

• Oh, right. Thanks, Mrs Bear and sm. I've just done a change all to 'okay' so I'll now to a change all to OK... OK?
  • edited April 2014
    Ok - as long as it's space.ok.space she advises from bitter experience.
    Otherwise you'll end up with boOK.
  • I replaced all okays with OKs and all my looks, tooks and books came out unscathed. Phew...
  • 'The poor geezer certainly can't sleep after all these revisions' Stan thought.