Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Erewash Writers' Group - Short Story Competition closes June 2012

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Okay, time this thread went back on topic please :)

Closes midnight (GMT) Wednesday 27th June 2012.

[quote=dora]A short story writing competition that may be of interest to you:

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/Maximum words = 1,500

Entry fee is £3.00 for one entry or £5.00 for two. £2.50 for each additional entry

First prize = £60 Second prize = £30 Third Prize = £15 and the first five stories chosen will be allocated one free entry to our next fee paying competition AND chance to win a cash donation for a charity or voluntary group of your choosing.

Closing date for the competition is midnight (GMT) Wednesday 27th June 2012. See website for full Terms and Conditions.[/quote]

[quote=dora]JudgeKeith ‘Carrot Nappers’ Large Carrot Nappers began Keith Large’s journey into playwriting. Originally published in First Edition as a short story, the play headlined the final night of 2009 Naked Stage season at The ADC Theatre in Cambridge in front of a sell out audience.

This was followed by a trilogy of short plays at the 2010 Edinburgh Festival Fringe, which included Jeff Stewart (Reg Hollis from ITV’s The Bill) appearing in Keith’s headline play ‘Prima Donna Island’ and achieving further critical acclaim.

Prima Donna Island- ‘With Stewart on good form and showing no signs of his infamous police persona, it’s an arresting performance’- Edinburgh Evening News 20th August 2010.

Keith has still found time to write short stories. His humorous fantasy ‘The Tisbech Terror’ won first prize in Freelance Market News’s 2010 short story competition, along with a piece of reverse creativity, adapting his stage play ‘Whine Fever’ into a short story to win the 2011 PCS/Words national competition. http://www.wordsmag.com/unioncomp7.htmHis advance into drama continues to go from strength to strength. The educational play ‘Racing Green’ is being performed by several schools across the UK and his anthem radio play ‘Talkers and Doers’ features BAFTA award winning actor David ‘Dai’ Bradley (Billy Casper in Kes) in the lead role. www.carrotnapper.com

Keith is involved in this year's http://www.nationalshortstoryweek.org.uk/ taking place between 12th - 18th November 2012. Keith is behind arranging for radio stations across the UK to broadcast short stories written by writers participating in National Short Story Week.
    [/quote]
  • [quote=dora]Okay, time this thread went back on topic please [/quote]

*drools*

Sorry, love a good comp.
  • Got my writing head back on-first words on paper in weeks-shaping up nicely so will defo be ready before the deadline :D
  • That's good news, red-lucy. :)
  • :)

I have an announcement to make about this competition, but can't until it's closed.

You have one week left if you want to enter btw, it closes midnight GMT Wednesday 27th June.
  • *gulps*

Are you going to be telling anyone off? Has anyone entered in the wrong font? Too many lines?

I know. Someone's written a parody about you and you're not happy about having a hairy chest?
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Are you going to be telling anyone off? [/quote]

*Quakes at the thought of being told off by dora.*
  • [quote=dora]it closes midnight GMT Wednesday 27th June[/quote]

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
  • For God's sake get your entries off for this now if you haven't already.

http://erewashwriterscompetition.weebly.com/

Entries close midnight GMT 27th June
  • [quote=snailmale]For God's sake get your entries off [/quote]

Yes, Dora must have a list of the TBers who haven't entered. She's gonna come knocking...
  • Not long to go now.
  • Yes, that's right, Carol :)

It seems to have gone really quickly.

The deadline is midnight GMT Wednesday 27th June so get your entry in quickly if you want it to be included :)
  • Oh no, it closes tomorrow! If only we'd had a bit more notice about the closing date coming up ;)
  • edited June 2012
    You mean you haven't Webbo...?

*Fears for Webbo's life, and, possibly, even more painful bits.*
  • Willy should have told Webby. Come on, Willy - get a grip.

COMP CLOSES TOMORROW NIGHT! YOU HEARD IT HERE LAST!
  • Don't bank on that! ;)
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Come on, Willy - get a grip.[/quote]

Dear oh dear.

Excuse me but we'll not be wanting a pair o' mucky mitts grappling with a slippery Willy on the EWG competition thread thank you very much.

PS = gentle reminder - the comp does close tomorrow night.
  • The final day is half over...
  • Still time to write that winning story!
  • Yes, still plenty of time :)
  • I never like to peak too soon.
  • :D

It would be nice to have a chance to peak at all, tbh.
  • Entries are still surging forth, btw :)

You're all still welcome to surge forth too :)
  • *clenches*

I can surge but my story can't. I've stalled.

It was a light and balmy evening. I'm thinking barmy might be the way to go.

More, more, more! Comp entries, that is.
  • Just under two hours left, so you better get a move on...
  • OK.

I was light that evening and even a little barmy.

Where do I send it?

1 hour and 20 minutes...
  • [email protected]

Just under one hour BB

:)
  • No, pressure. I like working up a bit of sweat with me fingers.

I was light that evening and even a little barmy. My fingers, sweaty with the work of words stank of the Balti I'd eaten the night before. I was a messy eater.

MINUTES TO GO!

Hmm, your sweaty brow is quite becoming, Madam.

"shifts bum and edges closer to BB"
  • *gulps*

I've left it too late, haven't I?

TEN MINUTES TO GO!
  • [quote=Baggy Books]I've left it too late, haven't I?[/quote]

If you are only able to write one letter an hour, then I'd have to be like the Man from Del Monte and saaaaaaaaaay

YES!

But, if tu est une speedy gonzalez then I say

no no, n-n-no no, n-n-no no, there's no limit.
  • *knocks it on the head*

Nope. Can't do it. Me fingers are busy doing nothing.
  • mine too

"index and thumb end up in reef knot"
  • And now the end is here And so I face the final curtain

THE END.
  • Good luck to everyone who entered and well done to Dora for all her hard work - which continues for quite some time, I think!
  • Congratulations, Dora.
    And good luck to all who entered.
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks Baggy and Helen. :)

Yes it does continue. Started the wheels in motion today as to who is to draw the donation out of the hat.

I've put an update notice on the website

• *wonders who Helen is*

Oh

Sorry

I mean't Carol.

And you know it, cheeky person.
  • Long list is up

Shortlist tomorrow

• Hope there are some TBers there!
  • Looks to be going to plan, Dora. Well done on all the hard work.
    Any TB's who entered recognise their title in the longlist?
  • *shuffles self-consciously*

Wasn't going to mention it, but since you ask... It's a very long list though.
  • Really? Are you there?
  • Well good luck to you if you're there and to any other TBers that were brave enough to submit their work.
  • Missed it.

Darn.

Well done, sm. I hope that got you popping out of your shell and waving your feelers about!

I'm going to watch this thread now with interest. Looking forward to the results and have my hand on the cork of a bottle of fizz in readiness to celebrate the winner... but only if it's a TBer.
  • Well done sm! Fingers and toes crossed for you, and any other TBers!
  • edited July 2012
    Haven't heard about shortlisting, so I guess that's it for me. Could have been worse.. :)

I think some people must be playing their cards close to their chest. Can't imagine I'm the solitary TBer in the frame.