Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

ALCS again!

Comments

• I am easily confused.
  • I just filled in the my info bit and added all my stuff online when the account was set up.
  • I think the paperwork has changed a lot Baggy, and not necessarily for the best.

Start with the traditionally published first. Then check within the guide because there may be info that will help you with the self-published items.

• But it's asterisked, thus compulsory, br.

I am a contributor to all traditionally published works (does that include the OWC anthology?), and sole author of my own s-pubbed books so I don't know which I should include, especially after some of you mentioned that as contributors you had to give a percentage pertaining to how much contribution you made...

The guide doesn't mention self-publishing, Carol, but neither does it specify traditional publishing.

I think this is as far as I got last year!
  • I just logged on to check, the online forms just wanted name and bog standard details...where are you filling in your details?

The part I mean isn't compulsory.

The % thing was for PLR not ALCS, ALCS dudes work that out for you.
  • I was in an anthology that my writers group published, which was effectively self published. Likewise the OWC collection. They have been accepted - no reason why yours shouldn't be. Include them all - anything they don't like they will reject but they won't reject your membership!

Though as br says, probably easiest just to put the minimum on the form and add the rest online later.
  • Ooh, br, mine isn't quite like that! The very nice man sent me a form attached to an email with six sections.

Anyway, thank you all. You can now go back to your armchairs. I just filled in four anthologies on the four lines given. The rest is straightforward banking details.

I am now off to open a Swiss bank account ready for when the cash comes flooding in...
  • Excellent.
    Well done TN - you will be glad you did it come March!
  • Absolutely! I think it's January? Always welcome, whatever the timing.
  • I am now off to open a Swiss bank account ready for when the cash comes flooding in...
    Hey, you joke but my first payment was over £100!! Bit less when they took the one time only fee, but at least I got that bit out of the way now :)

• Wowee!

Finally I can show my husband that I can earn money!!
  • Last year March, year before late Feb.

Won't be getting so much this year though as I haven't had as many magazine stories published in the last couple of years, and most that I have were overseas. Still, always better than nothing!
  • Why would you list your public works with the SoA? they know i have done enough to be a member, that is all you need to tell them. There is nothing anywhere about telling them new stuff - nor anywhere to do so.
  • Because they're an affiliated organisation. It's nothing to do with checking you meet their membership criteria.

"As a Member or an Associate of the SoA, you are entitled to FREE membership of the Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society."

Although you can't do it at the moment (because they're upgrading the website) you add your publications to your profile. It's some time since I did it, but the details are automatically passed to ALCS. Most authors want their publications added to their profiles and it saves doing it twice.
  • edited November 2016
    I know when I added the OWC and CafeLit 3, I just added the number of additional contributors to that part of the form, TN.

Liz, think that they may have mentioned the SoA because the ALCS used to say if you were a member you didn't have to pay the one-off joining fee. (Baggy's answer crossed with mine).
  • Ah. To both! Yes, that's true, I didn't have to pay to join.
  • Hooray! I've done it and filled in all the remaining works online. The four I had already listed on the paper form were already sitting there in my account with 10% written beside them, and I've just added about another sixteen works.
  • It will be well worth it!
  • Well done TN!
  • Anyone else got work to add? Get it listed by the end of this month.

• Thank you for highlighting it again!
  • Just in case anyone else comes along and hasn't read about it earlier, TN. :)
  • I meant this time around, but good idea to round up the stragglers, Carol!
  • Hooray! I've done it and filled in all the remaining works online. The four I had already listed on the paper form were already sitting there in my account with 10% written beside them, and I've just added about another sixteen works.
    Keep your fingers crossed for a good payout in March. I got a 4 figure sum from logging about 20 articles with them.
  • Oof da! Four figures! I barely scraped three figures for 10 articles! I must be doing something wrong!
  • Depends on length or article and also the kind of journal it was in. I believe that medical/scientific journals in particular pay well.
  • I know what my plan for 2017 is! :D
  • I've watched Casualty.

*cobbles together idea*
  • Don't slip on the cobbles or you'll end up in casualty.
  • Depends on length or article and also the kind of journal it was in. I believe that medical/scientific journals in particular pay well.
    I had some long articles in Aviation News which may come under scientific in the ALCS world?
  • I know what my plan for 2017 is! :D
    Get writing for New Scientist? :-)
  • edited November 2016
    DON'T FORGET, today is the deadline, so get anything outstanding so far, listed.

You can do it tomorrow, but you'll have to wait another year for payment...
  • If I know something is going to be published, but not exactly when, I suppose I can't include that...
  • No need yet anyway, as this year's stuff doesn't go into the 2017 payment.
  • I just had a delve around and it seems that the magazine I am in is out today. I tried to add it to my list of publications but there is nowhere to add a poem. I saw that you can add an article from a magazine, so I began to fill that in but it wanted the ISSN which I couldn't find. I sent an email to ask what I should do.
  • You do put poems there too.

You can find a lot of ISSNs here
    http://journalseeker.researchbib.com/?action=viewJournalseekerSearch
  • No need yet anyway, as this year's stuff doesn't go into the 2017 payment.
    But if you leave it, then it's easy to forget about it, and miss something.

• Well, I couldn't find it anyway.
  • Should be a nice total next March with your articles too, Dene. :)

If you provide photos/illustrations for your articles in UK publications then DACS is relevant- but I know they've changed the sign-up system, so you might have missed this year's.
    Thanks for letting me know about DACS. I've had a payout from them, it's very small compared to the ALCS payout in March, but anything is good! :-)
  • edited December 2016
    Glad it helped. Every bit of income is important nowadays, DeneBebbo.
  • Glad it helped. Every bit of income is important nowadays, DeneBebbo.
    Here's another collecting society for images:

http://www.picsel.org.uk/about-picsel/
  • "To become a member, you must be operating as a picture library or agency that issues licences to UK book and magazine publishers and TV broadcasters. You may be a sole trader, an SME, a cultural heritage organisation, or a medium to large agency."

From the picsel website.
  • "To become a member, you must be operating as a picture library or agency that issues licences to UK book and magazine publishers and TV broadcasters. You may be a sole trader, an SME, a cultural heritage organisation, or a medium to large agency."

From the picsel website.
    Yep, no good for me, unfortunately. I posted this in case anyone here can make use of it, perhaps some people who operate as sole traders who write and also license images.
  • Might be useful for PM's OH. :)
  • Holy hell...I'm getting a decent amount for this payment period! Yowser!
  • Might be useful for PM's OH. :)
    He's registered his with ALCS - I imagine that only one organisation can be used.

Dene, are you not a sole trader?
  • edited November 2017
    Reminder - 30 Nov is the deadline for registering 2016 articles/stories with ALCS.
  • Ah, thank you, heather.
  • Yep, done that!
  • Reminder to get any last things registered, you've got 3 days left to the deadline.