Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What book(s) is everyone reading at the minute?

Comments

• I don't think I finished Beatrice and Virgil, I had my twins part way through and it was swiftly replaced with baby books. It's languishing in the garage somewhere under a ton of baby clothes, must dig it out. 'Self' was very bizarre indeed!
  • A Feast for Crows by George R.R.Martin and A Study In Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle. Trying to be good and finish books before I start new ones.
  • I've just started reading The Dress Thief by Natalie Meg Evans and The Shark and the Albatross by John Aitchison (one of Britain's best wildlife photographers.....ever!). Enjoying them both xx
  • A couple of chapters into Murder on the Bucket List by Elizabeth Perona. The characters are all old ladies working their way through their bucket lists.

I'm enjoying it. :)
  • With Our Blessing by Jo Spain - a crime novel based on the infamous Magdalene Laundries
  • i'm reading an orange book with Queenie in the title, the sequel to Harold Fry. Got it some time ago but only just got around to reading, but am enjoying it so far.
  • I've just started that one too Liz!
  • The Lovesong of Queenie Hennessy?
    I've heard that it's an absolute tear-jerker!
  • Oh, no!
  • Well Harold Fry was so I am expecting it to be.
  • Someone told me it was the saddest book they had ever read and would ever read. I'm going to borrow it but I suspect the pages will be stuck together.
  • I finished Eat Pray Love (Elizabeth Gilbert) yesterday which I really enjoyed, and then started Disclaimer by Renee Knight which came highly recommended. Its been a while since I read a thriller so looking forward to getting stuck in!
  • The Phantom of Fifth Avenue. by Meryl Gordon.
    True story of recluse Huguette Clarke, died at 104 , despite giving away thousands of dollars still willed about 400 million. Another 'stranger than fiction' story I couldn't put down.
  • Hello, pongo! Haven't seen you ina while! (no further book, but had to say hello!)
  • My first Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.

A charity shop book, didn't read the blurb, wish I had.

If you want full details of the sexual proclivities of teenage public schoolboys, Piccadilly rent boys and the public toilet adventures of Cambridge Dons, then this is for you.
    Too Much Information for me.

I think it's to do with spies.
  • Just finished Long Time Coming by Edie Claire.

It's got a bit of romance and hints of a ghost story and a lot of dealing with the past and there's a really nice dog called Bear. I enjoyed it, but there are very mixed reviews on Amazon with a lot saying they found it boring. I didn't, but some bits could have been tightened up, I thought.

Not sure if it's always free, but I guess it was when I downloaded it as I've not heard of the author and I've had it on my Kindle for a while and it's free at the moment.
  • I was wondering whether people actually write negative reviews on amazon, PM, and you've answered my question.
  • Oh, indeed they do, Lizy!

• Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb

Raven Heart - David Gemmell

The Art of Creative Thinking - Rod Judkins
  • Queenie Hennessey did make me cry last night. It's a lovely book so far.
  • LizLiz
    edited February 2016
    I'm quite near the end. Haven't cried, yet. but edit to say, it is a lovely book.
  • Just finished it.
    Loved it.
    Perfect.
    Would have cried more but husband came home from work.
    I haven't read a book I liked as much for a long time.
  • I'm now reading Moab is my washpot by Stephen Fry
  • Alan Bennett's Four Stories
  • The Ice Twins - SK Tremayne
  • Enjoyed Claire Keegan's collection of short stories, 'Antarctica', so much I am now about to begin 'Walk the Blue Fields'.
  • The Girl in the Red Coat - Kate Hamer.

Beautiful writing.
  • I'm reading 'The Wolf in Winter' by John Connolly. Love his Charlie Parker series, very absorbing and each book draws you further and further in.
    I also have Terry Pratchett's 'The Shepherds Crown' but can't quite bring myself to read it yet. I sometimes wonder if I ever will ?
  • A newbie on this thread - hello to all! I'm reading and really enjoying 'Charles Dickens: A Life' by Claire Tomalin. Also reading 'The Establishment and How They Get Away With It' by Owen Jones. A bit out of date following the last election result, but still pretty insightful.

I can see being on this thread might become dangerous - so many book recommendations. I'll have to take the advice of the guy in our local charity shop - hide all new book purchases under the bed, so my partner is none the wiser...
  • Disclaimer - Renee Knight

A confusing beginning...
  • Now reading The War of the Worlds. Also: The Golem and the Djinni and Authority by Jeff Vandermeer.
    I never manage to stop myself from reading so many books at a time
  • Disclaimer (still). Not enjoying it at all.
  • Finished 'The Miniaturist' by Jessie Burton. Lots to like, some things not.

Now reading 'The Woman who stole my life' by Marian Keyes. Haven't read any of hers for a while and forgot how much I enjoyed them.
  • Found Everything's Eventual, an old Stephen King collection of short stories in my Mum's yesterday and started it last night. will have to start it again as I had a few glasses off red and fell asleep, so no doubt I won't have a clue where I got to!
  • Just back from a week in the sun - read two Conan Doyles; Hound of the Baskervilles, and Valley of Fear; Tide of Death by Pauline Rowson; and Spy Among Friends: Philby and the Great Betrayal by Ben Macintyre.

Had to rush the last one to get it back in the hotel library before we left.
  • Wow! Do you have a white book-shape on your chest, scratch?
  • This morning I finished 'The Girls' by Lori Lansens and it left me with tears in my eyes (in a good way!). I really enjoyed it so will look for some more of her work. I struggled to get into 'A God In Ruins' (Kate Atkinson) so I will go back to that another time. I have 'The Shepherd's Life' (James Redbanks) lined up on my Kindle so I may go for that next, but have also been dipping in and out of 'The Happiness Trap' (Russ Harris).
  • Just finished Heartbreak Hotel by Deborah Moggach for my book group.
    We felt it was an easy read but too many characters and not enough substance.
  • Elsham's End - H.J.Williams
  • I've almost finished re-reading The Lovely Bones, a book so beautiful it inspired me to start writing in the first place back in 2004. I hope Alice Sebold will write more novels in the future!
  • The Loss of Eldorado, by V.S. Naipaul

Naipaul is a Nobel Prizewinner.

Tedious doesn't come close.
  • Just finished 'The Girl in the Ice'.
  • The Loss of Eldorado, by V.S. Naipaul

Naipaul is a Nobel Prizewinner.

Tedious doesn't come close.
    Some of his stuff is tedious and some is wonderful - try A House for Mr Biswas, SM.

I recently discovered the Irish writer, Kevin Barry. His writing is extraordinary - rich, vibrant and very, very 'Irish'. I'm currently reading his book of short stories: There Are Little Kingdoms.
    Barry's use of language is incredibly inspiring because it makes me realise what is possible.

• I've just finished Bill Bryson's "TheRoad to Little Dribbling" laughed all the way through it. A factual travel thing but I love his humour.
  • I also recommend the following books which I've enjoyed recently:

Moving by Jenny Eclair
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  • I bought this book called The Pendragon Legend by Antal Szerb from a charity shop while on holiday. I didn't know what to make of it at first, I'm still not sure if it's a gothic story or some sort of joke. But now I've got into it I'm intrigued.
  • Started Sally Quilford's The Secret of Lakeham Abbey yesterday. It's a post-war country house murder story told from various points of view. The different voices are done so well - very enjoyable and entertaining. A nod to Christie's 4:50 from Paddington, especially the TV version, but well-written fun.
  • I'm reading a couple of non-fiction books: Madagascar Travels by Christina Dodwell and The Rotten Heart of Europe by Bernard Connolly.
  • I'm reading a non-fiction book too - Golf is Not a Game of Perfect. It was recommended to my OH by our golf instructor. It's a bit incomprehensible and boring because I don't understand a lot of the jargon! :-<
  • Wow, this thread has been pulled from the archives!!

I am very late on the band wagon. I'm halfway through Girl on a Train (Paula Hawkins). A bit slow I think (the book, not the train) so I'm hoping for a gripping finish AND THEN I will go to see the film. Next up might be Lee Child's latest.