Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What book(s) is everyone reading at the minute?

Comments

• Just finished 'The Girl in the Ice'.
    I've read that, TN a great read, and so is The Night Stalker.

Just have three more stories left of, No Family Secrets.

• Just read All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews. Fabulous. And all the more remarkable considering the same thing happened to her father and sister.
  • Just finished Coffin Road by Peter May.
    Now reading Nocturnal Animals by Austin Wright.
  • edited November 2016
    Publisher: YUP
    Author: Rosenthal, M.
    Title: The Art of Thomas Gainsborough

Okay if you like quotes and amibiguity. Otherwise it's just another book about art history. Simon Schama's study of Rembrandt is more fun.
    P.S. Actually, 'everyone' should be reading my article in the Nov. edition of SNL mag.
  • You possibly need to be more specific with the magazine's title. There's several that might be.
  • SNL mag?
  • I'm still wondering, too. No derivation of S & M is it?
  • Suffolk Norfolk Life magazine?
  • Several new lovers?
  • I'm about a third of the way through Mucho Mojo, by Joe R Lansdale. It's an uncomplicated read, dark and disturbing. Very engaging though.
  • I like 'dark and disturbing', so I just HAD to Google Mucho Mojo. Looks as if the Kindle might get re-booted this weekend!!
  • LizLiz
    edited November 2016
    I LOVE Joe R Lansdale, have all his stuff. (For uncomplicated reading.)
  • edited November 2016
    YES! SNL mag's the one.
    For Readers Group I've just read David Lodge's 'The British Museum is Falling Down'. It's nuts. The Pelican hard back edition of John White's, Art and Architecture in Italy: 1250-1400 which I bought from Churchgate Books Bury S. Edmunds last week is much more interesting. Unfortunately, the shop's closing at the end of December.
    Never read any Landsdale, J.R. Will Google
  • YES! SNL mag's the one.
    SNL is WHAT one? I did a search and couldn't find a magazine called SNL.

• edited November 2016
    Suffolk Norfolk Life mag.'s the one.
  • Finished Girl on the Train. Now I move on to a charity shop find. A 1952 Penguin (3/6) by Stanley Kauffmann entitled 'The Philanderer'. Blurb says the book, when first published, was the subject of an unsuccessful prosecution for obscene libel, which in that era we could take to mean that a character has actually tongue kissed someone. I'll post an update later in the week.
  • The Invisible Ones - Stef Penney.
  • Blakemort - A psychic surveys Christmas novella - Shani Struthers

How to write a book review - Linda Ann Nickerson
  • Just started reading From Story Idea to Reader.
  • Good. We all expect an unbiased review!!
  • ‘Girl on a Train’ by AJ Waines; not to be confused with ‘The Girl on the Train’ by Paula Hawkins.
  • ‘Girl on a Train’ by AJ Waines; not to be confused with ‘The Girl on the Train’ by Paula Hawkins.
    I've just finished 'Hawkins'.

Is it the same train by any chance?

;))
  • A friend in our writing gave me 'The Good Son' by Paul McVeigh on Wednesday and I've read a few chapters. I love the character's voice - convincingly Belfast-spake! I suspect that, despite the humour, it's going to become a bit darker. ( It was shortlisted for the Guardian's 'Not The Booker' Prize 2015)
  • edited December 2016
    I am reading 'Five on Brexit Island', December's 'The Reading Group' by Della Parker (Galton) and Christmas at Rosie Hopkins Sweet Shop by Jenny Colgan. All fun and not too heavy!

• I've just finished 'Hawkins'.

Is it the same train by any chance?

No, Paige, it is a totally different story.

• Ok, I'll look out for it.

I just got Sue Grafton's 'X' from the library. Another in the long-running 'alphabet series'.
  • Another fab find at the charity shop: The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy. I'm familiar with the real-life Black Dahlia case, and I love detective tales and noir so this is getting a thumbs-up from me after only four chapters.
  • Great, c-o-s. Whilst I generally prefer 'new' books, the charity shop is a good source of material, especially those of a more historic nature than can be purchased for very little. One of my prized purchases is a 1931 hardcover Roget's Thesaurus (Longman's, Green & Co.)
    Your mention of Black Dahlia is timely. It is I book that I, too, must purchase.
  • The charity bookshelf in our Sainsbury's is good just after Christmas. It is full of unwanted, and unread books. Last January I picked up 'The Nation's Favourite Poems' for a £1 donation. I don't think it had ever been opened.
  • I found a Dick Francis i hadn't read in a charity shop last week. Easy reading and I've alresdy sussed the baddy.
  • I'm currently reading this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Written-Off-Paul-Carroll-ebook/dp/B01AS1N63S/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1481534502&sr=1-1&keywords=written+off

It's a lighthearted book about wannabe writers who get sucked into paying for an expensive course with the promise of a 'real' agent being in attendance. It's amusing but I do wish the guy'd had the book proofread. There's more than a little irony in self-publishing a novel about self-publishing that has typos. The book was sent to me by Matador.
  • I found a Dick Francis i hadn't read in a charity shop last week. Easy reading and I've alresdy sussed the baddy.
    I love Dick Francis - funnily enough I just read Decider (one of my faves) and have just started Second Wind. Great books for just fun reading. and he is very skilled. Not so keen n his son's efforts, but still get them for nostalgic reasons!

i wrote to him when I was in my early 20s after reading his autobiography, which he wrote himslef, to say how much i enjoyed it and he sent me back a lovlely letter, which i still have.
  • not going to proofread today, finger is giving me gyp!
  • I'm reading The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright.
    She's a wonderful writer - a bit like an Irish Anne Tyler in subject matter, but I think her writing has the edge on Tyler.
  • Beyond All Doubt - P E Turner
  • Thanks, C2. I do hope it gives you as much pleasure reading as it brought me by writing.

I'm slowly working through From Story Idea to Reader. The only comment I'll make at the moment is that no matter how much we know (or think we know) there is always someone who knows more, or puts something in a different context, which results in broadening our writing experience. One of the greatest cliches in the corporate world is 'Back to Basics'. And that's what FSItR brings home so well.
  • I'm reading The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright.
    She's a wonderful writer - a bit like an Irish Anne Tyler in subject matter, but I think her writing has the edge on Tyler.
    Love Anne Tyler so trying Anne Enright. Starting with Taking Pictures.

• edited December 2016
    I'm an Anne Tyler fan too, Ana. I haven't read Taking Pictures yet. I found Enright when I picked up The Gathering - her Booker winner - and it blew me away. I now intend to work my way through all her books because her writing is so effortlessly perfect that I feel like I can learn so much from her.
  • Completely agree. Have read 3 stories so far. Who knew escalators could have so much redolence? Thanks for recommending.
  • edited December 2016
    Publisher: Thames & Hudson
    Author: Harris, A.
    Title: 'Weatherland'
    And
    P. Vintage
    A. Padel, R.
    T. 52 'Ways of Looking at a Poem'
    Finished Archer, J. 'Be Careful What You Wish For' yesterday.
  • Now reading The Three by Sarah Lotz having just finished The Man Who Fell to Earth by Walter Tevis.
  • Read the latter when the film came out, DB.

Love Anne Tyler, so will also be following up Enright...
  • edited January 2017
    Seventy pages into Behind Closed Doors by debut author B A Paris. Tells the story of a woman married to a lawyer who represents battered wives. I suspect the story is shaping up to show that the lawyer's wife, Grace, is suppressing her own batterings.
  • Just finished 'Olive Kitteridge' which I loved and now starting 'The Many' - not sure about it yet.
  • Loved that book, PET!

Reading The Missing by C.L Taylor. Loved The Lie by the same author, but this one is so slow to get going.
  • Interesting comment from a writer, TN. Just reinforces the importance of the first few pages!!
  • The Lie has been optioned for a TV series.
  • Interesting comment from a writer, TN. Just reinforces the importance of the first few pages!!
    I am only sticking with it as I know what she can do! It's taken the reading of nearly half the book to get me even slightly interested... but as soon as that happened, I guessed (I think) what is going on. I will finish it, just in case she has any surprises up her sleeve.

Yes, heather. Now you mention it, I do believe I heard a mention of that.

• Two currently:
    1) am stalled with reading a proof copy of "Behind Her Eyes" by Sarah Pinborough.
    2) fascinated and enthralled with Bruce Springsteen's autobiography "Born To Run"
  • I bought husband the Bruce autobiography for Christmas but he hasn't started it yet. I wish he would as I want to read it, but have to let him read it first as it was a present!