Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Accountability to Talkback

Comments

• TT, as much as we love our writing, sometimes we have to give in to the needs of other aspects of our lives. If we try too much at the same time you temporarily burn out and you have to step back to restore the equalibrium.
    I've been having some problems with one of my boys and it's taken time to sort out. It didn't leave me the energy for writing and the concentration needed.
    It looks to be generally sorted out now. I have a few phone calls to make for info and such, and I can then get back to the work.
  • very good point made here island girl. my situation:

1) fantasy teen novel/maybe a trilogy- been on hold for a long time. see item 2 for excuses.

2)currently writing a series of short stories called 'the adventures of d** the dragon' and am also illustrating the stories. sentimental reason- my bf has m.e. (or c.f.s.) and when hes feeling absolute poo i tell him stories about d** the dragon (hence the '*'s in the name :D). its our one year anniversary coming up so i thought i would a few of them down. and i am nowhere near complete and i got 2 weeks!!!
  • Been asked to write story for Year Entry 6 children to be read out at the library in which I do a bit of work.  Thought of my tongue-in-cheek fairytale, re-edited, but nah... I want something crazy!

2nd draft has been re-drawn in structure.  Amazing difference it makes though I can use most of my Draft 1 material.

Otherwise, I haven't even sent off a rant to "The Times".
  • I think my publisher will accept some flash fiction pieces for a collection, so I've been re-reading my work. Only about 100 items! I came across things I'd forgotten I'd written. Still, the weather was good, so I sat outside. Of course, each piece is a different document, and I have a nasty feeling it's going to be a case of copy and paste 99 items. If anyone knows an easy way of merging 100 files, please tell me!
  • Jay, in Microsoft Word, you can create a Master document that links to other docs, but it doesn’t actually merge them, only link. It’s too complicated to explain over the forum but you could look it up in Word help file. If that helps?
  • That rings a bell. I think I was wondering about it when I had chapters of a novel to sort out. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks.
  • I'm not sure if there was a quicker way, but I copied and pasted my documents to form two large documents - one mostly humorous, one mostly serious - totalling 20,000 words. I've now sent it off to my publisher.

By the way, does anyone know why this computer keeps clicking? It's not just when I use the mouse, it seems to do it of its own accord. Should I be worried?
  • Jay - my husband suggests turning your speakers right down and see if you can still hear the clicking. If you can, whereabouts on the computer is it coming from?

He says if it's your disk drive it means it could be on its last legs, so you need to make sure everything is backed up.
  • Quick, Jay, back everything up. I lost lots of stuff recently because I didn't have back-up copies. It began with a clicking from the external HD.
  • It's the sound made when your computer is searching for an Internet page when you've clicked using your mouse. Should I still be panicking?
  • Morning JayMandal,

It could be your anti-virus software automatically searching and updating its codes. Windows XP also conducts automatic communication with Microsoft.
    Should you not have either of these, it may be any number of outside options attempting to hack into your programmes.
  • Great to hear of everyone's current work! What an industrious lot we are!

As for me, I am editing, proofreading, typesetting and generally preparing for publication a local history book written by a lecturer at the University of Sussex.

I am also writing 350 obituary-style biogs of notable women who lived or died in the county of Sussex, for my next book "Notable Women of Sussex" (you don't say! - doh!)

I'm also trying, without much success, to get various National Trust properties to stock my recent release, "Captain Swing" but it is uphill all the way with their precious, snooty, sneering, dismissive shop-managers, who just keep rejecting the book as 'unsuitable', or 'not likely to be a best-seller' or 'we have not got the space'.

Helena
    http://www.hastingspress.co.uk
  • Oh dear.  I feel very lacking.  I'm simply carrying on with second draft.
  • Aaarrgh, aaarrgh, aaarrgh! Why did I call all my characters either Sam or Jamie? I know they're popular nowadays, but it's a pain having to change them so readers won't get confused.
  • Hi, I feel totally overwhelmed with all you busy and gals.  As a newbie i  havent achieved much.  i am now working on 2nd draft of childrens book aimed at 3-6years and have 2 more hatching out.  The trouble is i have a rather nasty little villan trying to get me to write him -he has resorted to blackmail and personal insults now so i may have to give in!also managed to achieve my ambition to actually finish a short story so i feel much better now.
  • Well done Amanda, you're working on stuff and that's important.
  • Glad to hear some people are working! My recent status:

Dumped 80k word novel because I was sick of the sight of it.

Resigned as fiction editor at GUD magazine because reading slush saps my will to live.

Started another novel and 2 chapters in realised i was plagiarising Ian Banks' 'The Bridge', at least in concept.

Found that, fairly unusually, my short fiction is being serially rejected.

So when people tell you there's always someone worse off than yourself, they're probably referring to me!
  • Not nearly as impressive as the rest of you, but I've just written a new humorous (I hope) sketch for the residents of the care home.

They did the first read through on Wednesday!
  • Oh b**ger, Mike!  If you were a girlie, I'd say sign up to Mslexia.

But you have my sympathies on that novel-chucked-out thing.
  • Mike sounds really down in the dumps. Shall we do a striptease to cheer him up?
  • I don't think Webbo would quite approve, thank you, nor Mike appreciate.
  • Well, you could limit it to taking off your wellies and socks!
  • Oh dear!  Sorry to hear about what is hopefully a bad patch, Mike.   
  • Cheer up, Mike!  There's a brand new day tomorrow and you are alive, so I hope you'll start a new piece of writing,  which will be brilliant.  Not may be, but will be!         
  • Just heard that I have won first prize in the Jamie Medhurst One Page Short story competition, a competition for stories of max 500 words advertised in Writers Forum to raise money for a charity in memory of the husband of one of their staff who died tragically young. My ending apparently really worked, and I got lots of very complimentary comments. More importantly, they raised money for charity and the story will be appearing on their website, www.runningforjamie.co.uk. The story, Saying Goodbye to Pinky, will also be in April's Writers Forum. What a nice surprise to come home to when I opened my emails tonight!
  • Well done!
  • Well done Viv.

Mike don't despair, you're just going through one of those spells we all get at times. Take a break from the writing, even if it's only a few days. Or try something totally different. You will soon get back on an even keel.
  • Just thought I'd take this opp to account for myself. Again! (Groan) I can't seem to get past the initial stages and can't work out if I am, in fact, stuck or just plain pigheaded over the details. Have scrapped a couple of chapters and have re-re-written the first few again. Sometimes I think I might be taking the easier road by delaying the writing process with my endless edits.
    BUT on the plus side, I am happy to say I now have approx. 18,500 words that I'm reasonably pleased with.  (If italics were possible on this site, 'reasonably' would be written in them)

I promise I will do my best to bite the bullet and forge on. This is my promise to the Accountability thread. (Said with fiercely determined look on face and Napoleon-esk hand in breast pocket)

How are the rest of you getting on?
  • I'm just putting the final touches in the preparation for the release of my second novel 'Game of Justice' due out on 23rd May & had just updated my website with the book's cover & publication details.

I've had an article on the Mainstream Vs Self publishing route published in the latest issue of The Self Publishing Magazine and sample copies of the magazine for those interested in taking on this route or already have can visit:
    www.troubador.co.uk/selfpublishingmagazine

Besides that, I'm still actively working on getting more book signings scheduled & have at least one main event every month for the rest of the year.  My next event is the Knebworth Craft Show being held on Bank Holiday weekend in early May.

Who's next...
  • IS I am in the same oar-less boat as you. Yesterday I pressed the delete key on the first three chapters of my novel (again), though I do love chapter four so I have kept that. When I told my friend she sighed and said to me, "The only reason you keep going back to shoot yourself with the starting gun is because you know that you are terrified of seeing the finish line." It shocked me because I realised it was true. I now have a word count chart staring down at me above my new desk. I promise here to pull up my socks and lock the starting gun in my drawer.
  • Recently, I've been working on the second draft of novel.  Huh, I have so many doubts and criticise and edit the 1st draft so much that I end up crippled by the fear of making it "good enough".

There's also further research to be done and sometimes I can get bogged down with that, just to find out one or two details. 
  • Another update from me. It’s amazing to think that the last one was only a month or so ago. So much happens in my life, I feel like I’m living several lives all at once (probably look like that as well, lol).

Just done:
    Speeches and signing events for my book, thank goodness that’s all over.
    A load of interviews/articles re my book which I will hopefully begin to see published in May in such diverse publications as Mensa magazine, my workplace newsletter and on the internet.
    Won the March poetry competition for a limerick on www.WritersBeat.com
    Entered the April poetry competition for an epitaph on www.WritersBeat.com
    Entered an essay competition about aging, to hear results on 1st May.
    Articles and news for Velvet Magazine, May issue, just made it to the deadline, phew.

Currently working on:
    Two novel openings and two short stories on www.YouWriteOn.com and reviewing other people’s work on that site. Trying to get more of them into the Top Ten (one recently got to no 10 and another two got into the top 20).
    Preparing for my PhD interview on 2nd May, doesn’t it come round quick?!
    My tax return, which I suspect they owe me so I’m working hard on this.
    Still working on articles for PlanetSappho, lesbian dating site. They have my previously published in Velvet articles but they are going to pay me for new content, however now I’m stuck for subject matter! Plus they want a block of articles rather than one at a time.
    Continually writing short stories for competitions and submissions, as before.
    Continually contributing to this forum and others.

Just around the corner:
    If I get the PhD place then a week’s bender!
    Still waiting to hear back re my children’s novel from publisher who is ‘considering it with interest’ eek.
    Still waiting to hear back re my adult novel from the people who’ve already published my short story in a collection.
    Several websites that need producing/updating.
    Always more writing.

ST “The only reason you keep going back to shoot yourself with the starting gun is because you know that you are terrified of seeing the finish line.” THAT IS SO TRUE!
  • I'm reading through what I hope is the final draft of my first novel before I try and find an agent for it. I can’t remember how many edits I’ve done but I know it is a lot!  I shall then re edit the 2 sequels, books 2 & 3.

After that? Well, I have ideas for another two novels, as yet only a synopsis.

On reading Island Girls post re changing from 1st person to 3rd person, what is the viewpoint on novels written in the 1st person? Is it frowned on? I ask because I too have written my novel in the 1st person and now I’m wondering if it was wise.  I could change it but as I've written a series of 3 novels it would involve a lot of work I hadn't bargained for.
  • Working on the last few chapters of my novel (managed to get through the blockage, thanks guys).  One more re-read, and it will be ready for submission for the Daily Mail/Transworld competition.

The article that was rejected by Writers' Forum (for suspected 'political' reasons), has been submitted to Mslexia.

I have sent off my application for my Student Loan, and just have to sort out my references to secure my flat in Stirling.  Then there is nothing left to do, but wait for September.
  • Liz H, I think the only place first person isn't too popular at the moment is in category romance.
    It doesn't seem to be a problem with publishers when you read extracts from books published at the moment.
  • I’ve no probs with first person, I find it much more immediate. I think that editors don’t like the first person stories where they are obviously autobiographical (unless you’re Jordan, lol) but where the narrator is a main character and it’s fiction, it is fine.
  • Thanks Carol and Josiehenely. I must admit I didn't relish the thought of rewriting it. I'm not sure it would read with the same intensity in the 3rd person. 
  • I find it's a good exercise actually, to take one passage and try it in first and third person. Also do the same for the tenses. Then compare them. Different styles work best for different stories. First person past tense is reflective, first person present tense is immediate, third person past tense is traditional, third person present tense is quirky. What do others think? Am I too off topic now?
  • None of my stories were accepted for the anthologies. I suspect that the 'Stories from Songs' one was abandoned. My Flash Fiction collection is with my publishers awaiting their acceptance or otherwise.

Contracts for 'The Dandelion Clock' and 'A Different Kind of Love' are being renewed  - it's been five years since they came out. A reprint is also being done, so I'm looking through the books to see what changes need to be made. (Cait will send me the PDF, then I make changes on my computer. What I've changed shows up, so the editor can see what I've done.) I've just finished reading 'DKOL' and there are quite a few exclamation marks, adverbs and speech tags that need to come out (even so, Gay Times liked the collection). Also some scenes/sentences that run on where there should be gaps. And, obviously, other instances where the writing could be improved/made more clear.

I don't know how Cait and Hugh are going to handle the short 'story' 'Atlantic Drift' (it was originally going to be the collection's title). I'd had various people telling me I didn't describe people and places, so I decided I'd write something that had description at all. There are e-mails and telephone conversations and face-to-face dialogue, indicated by non-standard print, italics, and bold. Hayley from Coronation Street liked the 'story'.

Although some of the writing is a bit wonky at times (now when did you last hear that word used?), I'm pretty pleased with the stories themselves.
  • Great news Jay that the books are going to be reprinted.
    (Steady now, don't overdo things and set your health back.)
  • I'm halfway through a historical thriller, but I think I'm going to start again as I let my brother read it and he says it's boring. I'm a bit depressed about having to start from scratch but I've looked at it as objectively as I can, and I think he's right. Oh well....here we go again. Nobody said it would be easy.
  • Thanks, Carol. The reading bit is painless, and it's not as if there are major changes to be made. I don't mind making the changes on the computer, either. I don't think there's any urgency so, if I don't feel to up it, I can leave things until I feel OK.
  • I've read most of 'The Dandelion Clock' now, and think it needs a bit of pruning (they were right about all the references to tea and coffee). Don't know if my editor will agree to my changes, but now's your chance to buy the 'before' version. Could become a collector's item! Or you could just play 'spot the differences'. Don't know how long it'll be before the 'after' version comes out.

Personally, I usually prefer the 'before' version, before all the make-up and highlights.

Of course, it might be cheaper if it's shorter.
  • I promise I'm not stalking you, Jay but I thought a post here might explain my sudden and vocal appearance on this forum.

I'm having the worst week ever.

I'm working on two novels, as is my habit. When inspiration wanes on one I move over to the other but this week I've twiddled my thumbs and crusied around the internet achieving nothing so I thought I might as well resurrect a few short stories - hence my arriving at this site and the reason my week has ended on a better note than it began.
  • That's good. Hope the break helps. There're a few threads here that might cheer you up. One's about things which went wrong at Christmas; and there's another about strange English. If you want to read them but can't find them, just give me a shout.
  • We are great for weeks like that. Got a problem, someone will have an answer. Want a laugh to cheer you up, look in the Writers Break section for some fun stories and stuff. Inspiration, block, we can get you going again.
    Hope you stick around and join in. All welcome.
  • Good news for readers! Cait says she'll change the layout and formatting of 'A Different Kind of Love'. This should reduce the page count - and the price.
  • Well done Annie W. Hope the stories are a success, and congratulations on the photos being used.
  • Since I'm still waiting for inspiration to strike on my would-be novel, I thought I'd try a bit of flash fiction.

I went to page 222 (a number that seems to crop up a lot in my life) of the dictionary, but it was the start of the Cs, and full of stuff about carbon and calcium.

Then I tried 444. Turned out to be the 'dia' page, so it was full of technical terms.

Next, the devil's page, 666. I struck lucky. Gender-bender. I wrote 162 words, and will - touch wood - write more tomorrow.
  • Very good Jay, it's amazing where you can get inspiration from.