Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Offensive words in books

edited August 2008 in - Reading
"A housewife has taken on the combined might of one of Britain's best-selling children's authors and a leading publishing house and won.

Random House Children's Books has agreed to remove a four-letter swearword from a popular book by Dame Jacqueline Wilson, after complaints from Anne Dixon, who insists she is standing up for values of common decency."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1047598/Housewife-wins-battle-publisher-remove-swear-word-book-best-selling-childrens-author.html

Comments

• How very Mary Whitehouse.

What ever will she say when her niece begins to read the likes of Joanna Trollope and Danielle Steel in 2-3 years?
  • interesting.
    I wonder what 10 yo s think it means/what does Dame Jacqueline Wilson think it means/thinks 10 yo s think it means?

I dont think it means what it used to exclusively mean. Even if it does, keeping it a secret and only whispering it gives it kudos and children will repeat it to be wicked. Use it a lot. Take the sting out of it. Make it passe.
  • Cue a rush to find the uncensored version. How much do you think they will get in auction?

To kids, it is just a swear word (and lets face it there is a worse one that I use frequently in my writing!) they don't know the meaning. To adults it is slang for female genitilia - big deal. Can't even find it my Oxford Concise dictionary, more likely to be in my slang dictionary.
  • edited August 2008
    Just looked at the article. That wasn't as bad as the word I thought it was going to be!

THAT word would have been a bit strong for a children's book!!!
  • In my 'The Penguin English Dictionary' (Excellent, incidentally) the word also means ' a stupid, obnoxious, or contemptible person.' So what's wrong with that? The word twit has a more silly-ish, ninny-ish even precious feel about it.
  • I don't understand the big deal with swear words anyway...they're just words

Say any word enough and it loses its meaning, shielding people from these words make them seem so much worse. It’s the feelings behind the words that’s the nasty part.
  • BR - I basically agree with you, but I can understand people wanting to stop their children using certain words as long as possible and if they're in a book by a popular writer, that makes them look acceptable.

I was only about four when I used a particular rude word whilst playing a rhyming game!! Not intentionally, of course - I was just working my way through the alphabet!
  • And what's the first thing anyone does when they start learning a new language? Pick up a bilingual dictionary and look up all the swear words. Done the world over.

The word that's been used (I can guess) is one I use frequently to describe an idiot - not the other four-letter word which is many times worse, in my opinion (so when someone called me one of these - the only time in my entire life, by a now ex-friend - I was duly offended). The T-word is not offensive. I agree - very Mary Whitehouse. Ludicrous. What a tw*t ;)
  • I only found out what that meant a couple of years ago. I've led a very sheltered life!
  • I don't like that word I have to say. How many steps is to then include C--t? The book is aimed at children 10 and over, but children a lot younger than that will be reading it, I think I would be rather upset if my 9 year old daughter used that word to in place of 'Twit' when insulting her brother!
  • I lived for a while in a community house (in Inverness) with people from all over the world. I thought it would be a great chance to pick up some useful phrases from other languages, but of course all the overseas bods were desperate to practise their English, and only lapsed into their own lingo when they dropped a hammer on their foot or something of the sort. So at the end of my year there I could swear in Polish, German, Swiss-German, French, Spanish and Gaelic. :P
  • I was trying to work out what the word was. They were going on about replacing one letter and using twat or whatever it was, but I wasn't sure WHAT the offensive word was!
  • Twit...offensive? Come on, please. This is ridiculous.
  • No Col, they were replacing it with that- whatever it was.
  • it isn't the word twit that's offensive...twit is what they changed it to... twit was my bro's favourite word for quite a while after he watched Robin hood prince of theives...

"why a spoon brother? why not a (i can't remember what he said there but it was sword or blade or something...)
    "because its dull you twit, it will hurt more..."

my friends know not to swear in front of me... i don't swear. I have only used a swearword once and only in my writing... but i don't swear and never will just as i will never drink alcohol... (i promised myself years ago, and i stick by it. Even at my brother's wedding i didn't drink wine for the toasts...)

anyway... i think that children should learn proper words to express themselves not swearwords do you really want your child's first word to be a swear word? i certainly wouldn't...
  • What next? The Tw*t in the Hat? :-)
  • FT - :D

Dictionaries vary as to the meanings of tw*t.

Our Chambers Dictionary says it can also mean "part of a nun's habit" (it doesn't specify which part). An online dictionary gives one meaning as "a stupid incompetent fool".

So if you called someone a tw*t, it's up to them to decide which meaning you intended!
  • I remember being about five (in the 80's) and using the word 'spaz'. That was vile, but I didn't know any better.
  • I've just been looking at the Bookseller- are you telling me that TWAT is offensive?
  • I don't like the word and do think it's inappropriate in a children's book.
    Mind you, call me peculiar if you like, but I don't think much of Jacqueline Wilson as an author either - so that makes me different to 20 mllion people who have bought her books !

When I was teaching primary school, I found that the subject matter - though perhaps empathetic with some children's situations - often caused some others to feel that they were unusual to be in a family with a mother, father and brothers and sisters of the same parents !
    Too conservative? Perhaps, but I do believe that too many "alternative" lifestyles, can become confusing and unhelpful for growing minds.
  • Sorry but are you saying that TWAT is the offensive word?
  • Yes Carol, I think it is offensive.

"The word possibly originates from the Old Norse meaning cut, slit, or forest clearing.The word has various functions, its primary meaning being a vulgar synonym for the human vulva, vagina, or clitoris. It is also widely used as a derogatory epithet, especially in British English. The word is usually considered vulgar in all contexts." wikipedia
  • Haven't read all posts here. A couple of years ago ma bought me a load of chick-lit books purely for comparison to my own writing. I was disgusted, the F word was everywhere. Is this truly what we call literature?
  • LizLiz
    edited August 2008
    Yes it is. It is an offensive word for women's genitalia. And when used by a man, usually it is used in that sense. I would not want my child to use it, and if they did, I would be very upset.

How on earth, when it is being used pejoratively, do you distinguish between the twit usage and the cu*t usage? do you see what I mean?
  • Well that is news to me- honestly.
    I have never heard it to mean those things. Like TP said earlier, it means silly, intensely stupid.
    I would not see it as an offensive word, quite the opposite in fact.
    I'm very sorry if my usage of the word has been offensive to anyone here, but that is just stupid.
  • I do see what you mean Liz...but have to go look up "pejoratively" ;)
  • see how words have changed thru time... ;)
  • Yes Jemma - even "through" is now spelled differently !!!
  • I still don't see why offensive words should be allowed in so called literature today. I get it that these words are used in every day life and therefore the literature follows every day life. I just don't want to read ANY book that relies upon swear words. My opinion and I'm sticking to it. :-)
  • edited August 2008
    Calling someone a berk sounds like a mild insult, but it originated with rhyming slang and has a rather coarse meaning! I don't suppose it matters if the person so addressed doesn't know!
  • Don't have a problem with your view of swear words Cooper- the 'f' word, c word, sh** etc, but honestly tw*t is not offensive round here.
  • I use the f-word a lot, but then most of my cast are male, and seeing my main character Jack is 24 then he would swear a lot, and it would be unrealistic for him to to say 'oh sugar', and my antagonist is ex-Army (served in Northern Ireland) so he swears a lot too.

I don't like hearing women coming out with f*** every other word (not particularly men either). I don't think it should be everywhere. I would only ever say it in under a certain pressure, the same as Jack.

Wilson has always made a point of being realistic, and has never shied away from reality. I think it is wrong not to tell a nine year old about the truth about 'alternative lifestyles'.
  • Well there is also the use of the word berk, if you are going to go down this route... a lot of people don't realise that it is rhyming slang for Berkely Hunt. In other words, it means cun*. Now I didn't know this, and had been happily calling someone a berk, and my son said, mum, do you know what that means? He told me, I didn't believe him (didn't want to believe him!!) and then he went and showed me in the dictionary.. so sorry everyone I have unwittingly called that word, but I have never used it since!

Twat is a very unpleasant sounding word anyway.
  • edited August 2008
    Berk has been used in all innocence for quite a long time!
  • I don't mean it's wrong to tell a child about all types of lifestyles, Stirling. I mean that it is often not appropriate to "shove it down their throats" to coin a rather unpleasant phrase, too !
  • I think that is the point . . .

I wouldn't have known that about 'berk.' Not a word used in Newcastle, and I just don't understand rhyming slang anyway. . .
  • I think they probably know more swear words than we do already!
  • i do agree with Cooper in this...
  • For my characters and plot no swearing would be unrealistic.
  • and use them if you listen to conversations in the street. I don't like it either, but I'm sorry berk and twat have taken on different meanings in some places.
  • They've been diluted!
  • So do I. It's perfectly possible to make language sound unpleasant and to get argument across on the page, without resorting to these words, that is part of the skill of a writer.

Because let's face it, wouldn't it be a nicer world without swearing and calling each other names? And doesn't changing the world start with trying to change our children? Why do they have to be given ammuniton to insult each other or anyone else, and have it made okay by being used in a book by someone they admire?
  • berk and twat were always rude!
  • Sorry but when I write I'm trying to represent the world as it is. It has to have a psychological truth.
  • Reality I suppose, we don't have to like it, but it is reality.
    Yes, it would be nicer without swearing but it isn't going to go away just because it isn't used.
    I don't consider t**t a swear word- sorry.
  • You're not writing for children though Stirling.

But on our course, for the adults, they also said you don't need much swearing in a book to make it sound realistic. No way as much as it is normally used, because it is much stronger on the written page.
  • Carol. I wasn't even worried about the tw*t word. It's the other more offensive words that have found their way into literature that I totally disapprove of.
  • I'm with you Carol.
  • (wow this is a hot topic...)
  • I'm sweating. :-D