Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Marriott Hotels looking for wedding poems

edited March 2011 in - Resources
Marriott Hotels will be publishing a book called Marriott Love Poems, which will be distributed in the hotel's 54-strong chain, and are inviting submissions of verse inspired by love and weddings. The writer of the best poem will be invited to spend a romantic weekend at a Marriott Country Club.
Details at www.marriottlovepoems.com, where poems can be submitted. Deadline for entries: 31 March

Comments

• Thanks, Webbo will give this a go!
  • Thanks Webbo. Unfortunately I can't enter as it's for UK residents only. Good luck though, to everyone who is eligible to give it a go.
  • [quote=Webbo]The writer of the best poem will be invited to spend a romantic weekend at a Marriott Country Club[/quote]

I hope that means the writer plus spouse/partner!
  • thanks, will def submit something :)
  • edited March 2011
    opened this thread thinking we'd be helping out in some sort of treasure hunt

"The writer of the best poem will be invited to spend a romantic weekend at a Marriott Country Club."

A romantic weekend on one's own?
  • I hope this gets me a sexy week-end on my own!

Me and 'er got married
    we stayed at this hotel
    it backed on to the gasworks
    cor, what a bleedin' smell.
    Boiled eggs for breakfast
    wiv a slice of bread
    the coffee weak as water
    the tea was grey like lead.
    Dinner woz no better
    we ordered pie n mash
    the gravy looked like oil
    it stuck to Dolly's tash.
    We went to bed real early
    to 'ave our wedded bliss
    but Dolly 'ad too much sherry
    that only made her piss.
    The chocci on the pillow
    has slipped into the bed
    so when I woke next morning
    it was stuck fast to my head.
    I expected better
    from such a swanky place
    not much change from thirty bob
    so I shoved the towels in my case.
  • [quote=Marc.B]it stuck to Dolly's tash.[/quote]

:)

your poem deserves to winnit Marc.
  • Definitely. And he should be made Poet Laureate too.
  • love it, Marc, send it in, if nothing else it will give them a chuckle and might generate some kind of freebie for you!
  • :) very good Marc
  • [quote=dorothyd]might generate some kind of freebie for you! [/quote]

... a freebie during a romantic weekend on one's own? The mind boggles.
  • Love it Marc, you always make me smile, winner all the time for me.
  • Excellent poem, Marc!

If you do send it in, please enclose a tiny camera so we can see their faces when they read it.
  • Love the poem, Marc - made me laugh!
  • Brilliant, Marc!
  • Writers of the best poems will be invited to spend a romantic weekend for TWO at a Marriott Country Club, so keep sending poems to www.marriottlovepoems.com - you have till 31st March!
  • Thanks for clarifying that.

[quote=Marriott Love Poems]keep sending[/quote]
    Oh dear - does that mean Marc's hasn't won?
  • Never sent it, too difficult to find the site and link, otherwise...
  • "By submitting your poem you agree for your poem to featured in promotional activity relating to this competition
    and any additional material Marriott Hotels Ltd may require"

It doesn't say that this only applies to winning poems. Am I being cynical again, or is this another one where entrants may be published even if they don't win anything? (At least they're not asking for copyright of all entries like some do!)

Perhaps the kind person from Marriot who answered the prize query above could clarify .
  • Hello there,

To clarify on the questions raised above:

Marc.B - Thank you for your poem, we have received it and it is being considered by our judging panel.

Heather - We will be selecting ten winning writers (across the UK) who will be published in the book of Marriott Love Poems as well as winning the romantic weekend for two. In addition, ten runners up will also have their poems published in the book.
    "By submitting your poem you agree for your poem to featured in promotional activity relating to this competition and any additional material Marriott Hotels Ltd may require" ---> this is referring to the fact that by submitting your poem, you are giving Marriott Hotels permission to use your poem, whether you're a winner or not. That could mean your poem might be shared for inspiration to others on the blog (www.marriottlovepoems.blogspot.com), on the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/Marriottlovepoems) or tweeted about (www.twitter.com/MarriottPoetry). Hope this helps.

Anyone who hasn't already entered their poem can do so before 31st March at www.marriottlovepoems.com, via the 'submit your poem here' button on the right hand side. If you are still experiencing problems entering via the website, please post your poem to Marriott Love Poems, Nylon Communications, 19a Floral Street, London WC2E 9DS.

Thank you,

The Marriott Love Poems Team
  • This is so great to hear - will be submitting this weekend (am getting married in August and September (two weddings, Hindu and Catholic, long story)) so am definitely in that frame of mind at the moment!

Sara
    xxx
  • Polyandry, eh? Congratulations!
  • Fantastic, Sara. Long live multiculture.
  • Two weddings! Now I don't believe that's anything to do with multi religions or mixed cultural relationships. I think that's the bride being greedy. Wanting to have your wedding cakes(s) and eating them.

Congratulations Sara, hope both go well and bring you happiness on the days and forever after that.
  • Thanks to Marriott for the clarification above.

Unfortunately, this means I'm unlikely to enter as I'm one of those dreadful writers who doesn't like to give their work away for free.

However, it is very nice to have a clear and swift response to the query so that everyone can make their own choice.
  • Being a publicity-seeking literary tart, I would be more than happy for my poem to be splashed about wherever Marriot chooses. I guess I'd better go off and write one, then!

I can definitely see Marc's being tweeted about...
  • Each to their own, Lou :)
  • I wonder what the quote on the website means?

"You were born together, and together you shall be forever more."
  • Heehee, if only I could eat two lots of wedding cake! Am trying NOT to eat any cake, my dress is so fitted. The sari will be a little looser, but I haven't picked that yet...!

Thank you so much guys - it's wonderful being in such a strange situation. At least my parents (namely my Mum) are responsible for the Indian wedding. But it's bizarre - they are having to have all sorts of bizarre things made for the event!

Love to everyone, and thank you for your kind words :)

Sara
    xx
  • OA, when I worked with a lady who wore a sari she said there was no room for anything (such as a bump or lump) underneath as it wrapped so tight, so watch those pounds!!!!!
  • Haha, a sari shouldn't be too tight! My ongoing war with my weight is on my blog, you should have a look (!) http://queenofthedessert.blogspot.com/
  • Thanks for all your comments and questions, please see out blog for some of the poems we've received: http://marriottlovepoems.blogspot.com

If you don't fancy writing a whole poem, write us a 'Twoem' instead: http://marriottlovepoems.blogspot.com/2011/03/twoems.html, you could still be treated to a romantic getaway (for two) for the night

Thank you,

The Marriott Love Poems team
  • Well done Marc B!
  • Hi OA , sounds great two weddings, two dresses, one groom I hope!
  • Ooo, Im sooo excited!! Hope I win cos OH says I never take her anywhere. I think she's suffering with Ambrosia as I took her to the betting shop last Saturday.
  • Marc, your poem is already published on their blog (see above) as Poem of the Day!!!
  • Congratulations, Marc!

By the way, the second of Marriott's links doesn't seem to be working.
  • [quote=Viv]
    Marc, your poem is already published on their blog (see above) as Poem of the Day!!! [/quote]
    Congratulations, Marc! (seems that answers the question about whether they have a sense of humour)
  • well done, Marc! I loved the poem!
  • Wow! And it only started out as a bit of fun. Maybe i should take up poetry, I'll start looking at the entries in the WN and WF from now on.
  • That's so brilliant! Is there time for you to enter the humourous poem competition, Marc?
  • What's that LT?
  • I can't check the deadline as the WM site only lists comps to the end of 2010!
  • edited March 2011
    I've given the poem a title:

When Ollie Wed Dolly.
  • Beware of rules regarding previously published or submitted etc.
  • Hi
    Just wondering when you submit this, and it brings up the email box thingy-ma-jig, did you put the poem in the main body or add as an attachment?
    Thanks in advance, just want to make sure I get it right :-)
  • edited March 2011
    Two Lous! Will we also have a Lautrec?