Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Marriott Hotels looking for wedding poems

Comments

• I actually copied the email address and sent it from my own mailbox, and I just put the poem into the email. It doesn't say but I did get a confirmation that it was received so hopefully the format was fine!
  • [quote=Jenny]Two Lous! Will we also have a Lautrec? [/quote]

Groan!

There's also another Louise so it's actually three Lous!
  • We've got three lous, I mean loos, in our house.
  • I entered mine today! I love weddings. And I fall in love all over again every day because I'm at such a wonderful place in my life! SO HAPPY! :) xxxx
  • I had trouble with the box that comes up, so I just sent an email in the usual way, and I put my poem and my contact details in the body. I did get an acknowledgement so I know it got there.
  • Thanks guys I'll do that then. Good luck with your poems
  • Here's one I wrote while sitting in the office today...

The Dinner

The best man toasts the bride and groom,
    And with an eager move,
    He tips champagne
    Out from the glass,
    And soaks the bridesmaid’s shoes.

She leaps up, her toes soaked cold,
    And shrieks out, loud and clear,
    She slaps the best man
    Round the face,
    He turns white, pale with fear.

He pushes back his seat to rise,
    And catches the bride’s dress,
    The tear is clear
    For all to hear,
    And so is her distress.

Another scold for the best man,
    He stumbles from high table,
    And as he does,
    He trips right down
    And lands on Aunty Mable.

She squeals with delight at this,
    Attention has been thrust!
    From a sprawling
    Awkward
    Englishman
    With nose touching her bust.

The best man scrambles to his feet,
    Attempts to steady now,
    He has to rescue this,
    He thinks,
    Salvage this, somehow.

He tries to take a comedic bow,
    Alas! I fear it’s worse,
    He knocks over
    A candlestick,
    And utters such a curse

As the candle sets the flowers on fire!
    Oh no, it’s a disaster,
    The amaryllis
    Bright with flames,
    The roses burning faster.

“Quick!” he cries, “I need some help!”
    His eyes scan far and wide,
    He grabs a glass
    Of wine to pour
    But somehow hits the bride.

She rises up, a fearsome beast,
    Red stains against the white,
    Her groom attempts
    To soothe her, quick,
    Before she starts a fight.

There’s escalating panic now,
    Flowers incinerating fast,
    The best man
    Grabs the table cloth –
    He’s done this in the past –

And whips it out with such great force
    It should leave all there standing,
    Except,
    It doesn’t work this time,
    The plates crash on their landing.

He quickly wraps the flowers up,
    Containing now the fire,
    He smiles, chuffed,
    Proud to have coped,
    He wants all to admire.

The bridesmaid hurls her shoe and helps
    The bride hitch up her skirt,
    She’s climbing
    O’er the table now,
    He won’t escape unhurt.

The best man makes a move to run,
    The groom after him too,
    But, oh dear,
    It gets much worse,
    He falls over that shoe…

And in slow-motion does he move
    As from a dream awake,
    He collapses,
    Arms a-flailing
    With face into the cake.

There’s icing smeared across the floor,
    The cake squashed through and through,
    The best man swallows,
    Throat so tight,
    This suit he bought was new.

And as he scrambles to his feet,
    His limbs are sore but supple,
    Finally,
    He chirps out loud,
    “To the happy couple!”
  • Was it captured on video? :)
  • The aim was to make it visual - I'm glad it worked! :) xxx
  • You must have a good job if you can write poetry like that in the office! Really enjoyed it OA.
  • Smashing, OA (npi - see Ceka in her Sold Two Stores thread).
  • We're very happy this has interested so many of you & the poems submitted have been great.

If you haven't sent in a poem - you have a week to do so!
  • Marriott Love Poems - have most of the poems been romantic or funny?
  • Some of them were soppy
    some would make you grin
    some would make your toes curl
    I doubt that they will win
    If it's love they want then sadly
    mine won't make it in
    It raised a smile
    just for a while
    then went straight into the bin.
  • Love it, Marc
  • :D Marc!
  • :D

Has anybody been following the posts of the Marriott Blog? What do you think? Marc B's is definitely my favourite, I have mixed feelings about the others...
  • Are all the entries on the blog?
  • [quote=Jenny]Are all the entries on the blog?[/quote]

No, just a few of them. They are all very different from each other, I'd say...
  • edited April 2011
    Well, I am just trying to get back into writing after a bit of a break.. Spent ages on a poem for this Marriott competition and sent off my entry last night by email. Good good, thought I. Arrrrrgh, I've just read on some Twitter thingy that no entries will be accepted after about 6.30pm! :( I assumed (wrongly) that a 31st deadline meant that I had until midnight on said date! (Note to self - Never assume) I am gutted that my entry won't even be considered after all my work. Still, it will teach me not to revise until the last minute. Just write it and get it sent! So, now what do I do with a homeless 'wedding' poem? Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I am Josette, by the way. I used to live around here but moved away. Just thought I'd come back and have a cuppa. Not sure if anyone will remember me, it's been a while. My pen is creaking, but think the ink could start flowing again. :)
  • Welcome back Josette, it's always good to see those who stray come back to stay or even just for a visit.
  • Thank you Carol.
  • Josette - might be worth emailing Marriott's to see why they didn't mention a closing time. They might include your poem after all.
  • Thanks Jenny. I will do that.
  • What a shame, Josette, but you never know, if they don't accept it I'm sure you'll find somewhere else to send it. And at least you've flexed your writing muscles again! Welcome back!
  • Better to have written and missed the closing date than not to have written at all.
  • edited April 2011
    Hi, Josette! Maybe there are magazines looking for this sort of thing. Or newspapers. The wedding's only four weeks away, though.
  • Hi Josette, I remember you! Welcome back!
  • I am hoping my entry will have got there in time. I couldn't email my entry so posted it a couple of days ago 1st class in the hope that it would get there before the deadline. It is the first thing I have entered in about the last 6 months so I thought it was a positive thing to have actually sent it at all.
  • it was and I am hoping you will tell us you've sent a lot more things out too.
  • Thanks all for your responses and welcomes. I did email as Jenny suggested and they kindly responded saying that they did in fact extend the deadline to midnight, so all bets are back on! Not that I think I have much chance, but I am happy to know that I got out of the starting gate!
  • good one, Josette! Best of luck to all who entered the competition. Would be SO good if a TBer won the weekend away!
  • Glad to hear that, Josette! Good luck with your poem.
  • Yeah! Great news, Josette. Hopefully yours has arrived in time too, ginab. It's great to have entered and it does make life more exciting waiting to hear the results!
  • Just had a call to say I am one of the winners!
    They had hundreds of entries and judged by ten regions. I won the London region. Letter on its way to confirm details, but I get a luxury romantic weekend for 2 at one of their hotels or country clubs, and my poem will be in the book to be distributed to guests at their hotels nationwide. The judging only took 8 days after the comp closed, and the book will be in print in a fortnight - that's quick! They will be sending me some copies (I wonder how many?)
  • Viv, that is brilliant!!!! Well done you!
  • Congratulations, Viv.

I'm sure I'll be late for my own funeral! When I had a moment this week, I wrote a wedding poem, then looked at the Marriott website, to find that the competition entries had to be in by the end of March!
    Never mind. It was a sonnet, so I changed the final couplet and will give the poem to my husband on our wedding anniversary in July.
  • Viv! Congratulations - I hope you'll share your poem with us!

Sara
    xx
  • That's fantastic well done! What was your poem about?
  • edited April 2011
    Congratulations, Viv - any idea which Marriott Hotel you'll go to?

Verica - that's very romantic!

(I wonder if Marc's poem won for his region!)
  • Brilliant Viv ! Let us all know about the prize weekend.
  • I'm not sure I can share the poem on here yet, as I don't know how they will feel about me publishing it before they do, and this is a public forum. It was a semi-humorous poem looking at a mother's feelings about her future daughter-in-law. No-one is ever quite good enough for her son!
    I will wait for written details of the prize and see which venues and dates are on offer. If travel turns out not to be included, I will pick one not too far from home.
  • Congratulations Viv - I look forward to reading it!
  • Well done. Congratulations. :)
  • Well done Viv, hope you enjoy your prize.
  • Congratulations, Viv.
  • Great news, Viv. Well done!
  • Well done, Viv!
  • Congratulations, Viv. Look forward to reading your poem at some stage.