Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Marriott Hotels looking for wedding poems

124»

Comments

• Because of my Marriott win and the Royal wedding coming up, I have been named as 'Londoner of the Day' on a website called www.london24.com
    Here is the link.
    But nobody asked me for a quote - the quote here is totally made up, and I don't even have a son!!!

http://www.london24.com/news/londoner_of_the_day_love_poet_vivien_hampshire_1_879036
  • nice publicity, Viv, even if they have misinterpreted your reason for writing the poem!
    Love the photo.
  • That's lovely, Viv (and I really liked the poem) but also a bit odd.
    Do you think Marriott told them about it for publicity and gave them permission to publish the poem? If not, there may be some copyright issues there. Where did they get the photo?
    And not really on at all to make up a quote!

Are you going to investigate further?
  • Marriott's publicity people asked me for a photo so they could get some publicity, basically anywhere they chose. All part of the deal when being a winner! It was them who alerted me to the website today, but only after it had been 'published', and they also provided the poem to be included. I have emailed both the website and Marriott to protest about the made-up quote. I don't mind Marriott getting me some publicity but I do think it should be accurate. I would happily have given a real quote if anyone had bothered to ask me.
  • Quite right too!

Pleased the rest of it is all OK.
  • Crumbs yes, Viv. I would have felt stung if a made up quote had been put into my mouth: it's the principle of the thing.

But don't let that spoil your glory :) .
  • Viv - It was wrong of Marriotts to let an untrue quote be published. If you complain to them you might get a longer holiday as recompense!
  • I love the poem, Viv! A very worthy winner!

It's a bit outrageous that they made up a quote - they probably assumed you wrote the poem from your own experience.
  • They should never assume that. And I told them so in my moany email! What if all fiction was written that way? You'd have to do a murder before you could write about one.
  • You were entitled to complain. Have they replied yet?
  • [quote=Viv]They should never assume that.[/quote]

I know! It's like saying you have no imagination!
  • Just had a very nice email from the London24 website, attaching a copy of the press release they were sent by Marriott's PR company, proving it was actually Marriotts who made up the quote. Website are forgiven, and have kindly removed the quote now. Awaiting a response/apology from Marrioot's lot - I bet I don't get one!
  • An extra night added to your weekend would be a nice apology!
  • Two would be even better!
  • Had an email from Marriott's PR compnay this evening, saying sorry and blaming it on a member of staff who has now left their employ! They say my copies of the book and details of my prize will be coming soon, but they've been saying that for weeks. I somehow think an extra night is as likely as me being whisked away on a white charger by Kevin Costner carrying a big box of Belgian chocolates. Oops, sorry - daydreaming again!
  • My free copies of the book finally arrived. It's quite sweet but very small. Trouble is - they have spelt my name wrong and completely got the wrong town for where I live. Not impressed at all! Needless to say I have emailed to moan about it - they will be getting sick of me!
    And I get no choice about where to take my prize - it has to be at the Tudor Park in Maidstone Kent, 2 nights any time before 31 Dec. Looks Ok on the website but I had hoped to get a choice.
  • The saga continues, it seems, Viv. So annoying when your name is spelt incorrectly - it happens to me a lot - and to get your town wrong as well doesn't say much for their attention to detail. A pity you are unable to choose the location for your break but hope you enjoy it anyway.
  • Viv - It looks as though there wasn't much attention to detail in the running of that competition, but at least it's another success to add to your writing CV.
  • [quote=Viv]Trouble is - they have spelt my name wrong and completely got the wrong town for where I live. [/quote]

What??!!

Hope you enjoy your weekend anyway - take the book with you to flash around and you may get special treatment.
  • I used to live near Maidstone, Viv, in fact it is where I got married, 27 years ago yesterday. You will be in reasonable driving distance of a few interesting places that are worth visiting.
  • That's what the publicity says Carol - Canterbury, Leeds Castle, etc. Better not go in Winter.
  • There is quite a lot of coastline you can reach too. Hever Castle is where Anne Boleyn was brought up. Chatham for the Dockyard.
    But as you only have a couple of days you'll have to limit yourself.
  • Happy anniversary for yesterday, Carol and Mr Carol.
  • Just wondering if you have been to the hotel yet, Viv and what it was like?
  • Having terrible trouble getting the booking sorted out. The phone number they gave me kept going through to a day nursery, then the girl I have to deal with emailed me (or says she did) but I never received it. Then I picked a date but it was fully booked that weekend, so... still waiting to get a date to go. The prize runs out in December so they'd better get a move on!
  • Well I hope you get that sorted then, Viv but if delays are their fault then they would have to honour your prize even if it does run out surely?
  • Thanks to whoever resurrected this thread I'd missed Viv's poem earlier - It's a great poem and I love the rhyming scheme and structure of it.
  • At last, the prize is organised. King sized room, free dinner, wine, chocs, champagne and a spa treatment - all set for 18-20 November!!
  • Hope you have a great time, Viv!
  • That sounds great lucky you, have a really good time.
  • Have a great time Viv.
  • VivViv
    edited November 2011
    SO upset!
    Mariott have just called with less than 3 days to go before my prize weekend to ask me to postpone it or switch venue to make way for a big corporate booking. How dare they? I booked the date 4 months ago, and I am meant to be a valued prizewinner expecting a luxury weekend at their expense. Offered me other hotels much further away (travel costs not included in the deal), or I can try to pick another date - but I don't want to go in the cold of winter!
    I had plans for where to visit while I was there, and was really looking forward to it. I have emailed them my feelings in no uncertain terms!!!
  • Oh dear, Viv, that is disappointing - and so rude!

Do you think they've done that for their 'paying' customers too?

The least they can do is offer you travel expenses if you have to go further away - or extend the prize (I assume there is a time limit on taking it?) so you can wait to go at a better time of year. Still really mean though.
  • Not good customer service, especially at such short notice.
    I agree Heather, would they do this to paying customers too? Doesn't make you want to book with them because if they do that to Viv, then they might do it to other customers...
  • That is terrible and only 3 days away from when you are going and you have made so many plans for the weekend.
    I'd be fuming.
  • That's terible. I can't believe a company would book a big corporate event with just three days notice - and even if they did that shouldn't mean your booking gets cancelled.

What happens if you rebook and then they get another corporate event?
  • Oh this is a really poor show! So sorry your dramas are ongoing, Viv. Still, look on the bright side, it is a freebie weekend that you've won - you'll just have to try to push the problems and misunderstandings (so many of them) into the background. Good luck with a new booking.
  • Oh no, what a saga!
  • [quote=Carol]Not good customer service, especially at such short notice.[/quote]

It is terrible customer service! Sometimes these 'prizes' are not as they suggest!
  • Today they have offered me the cost of the petrol if I agree to go to another hotel this weekend. Those hotels offered are miles away, so it means the time and inconvenience of a much longer drive and then arriving at an area where we have had no time to make any out-and-about plans. Plus they will give me a voucher for a 2 nights B&B stay anywhere at any Marriott in Europe in the next year as compensation.
    How about my disappointment and my cancelled plans?? The time I had booked off work on Friday? The cat-feeding arrangements I have had to cancel? The fact I have bought no food for the weekend as I expected luxury hotel meals?
    I have refused!!
    They have stressed there is strictly no cash alternative to my prize, so I have no choice but to try to re-arrange the date at the original hotel. Original deadline was 31 Dec, but I don't want to go in winter so have asked for Easter weekend. Let's see what they say!
    As some of you have said, would they cancel a paying customer in this way? I think not. Needless to say there will be complaint made to the highest level.
  • A sarky poem could be in order...
  • They should certainly extend the deadline, as you had complied with everything and it is the hotel that has disrupted it all.
  • Good grief - what a terrible fiasco! It'll be interesting to see what they say about Easter ... probably that they're all booked up then!!! I would threaten them with a letter to the national press / bad review of their customer services on Trip Advisor etc
  • Not cricket.
    Easter calls - you tell 'em, Viv
    Pah! (spits out feathers)
  • What happened with this, Viv?
  • Thanks for asking!
    Long story with many emails and phone calls involving apologies and explanations, but I refused a short-notice alternative trip much further away and their pathetic offer to pay the petrol as compensation, and they have now promised me Easter weekend - which I assume would normally be more expensive and much in demand. Disappointed my planned break fell through but Springtime will hopefully be better. And they swear it will not be cancelled under any circumstances!!
  • That sounds ok then, I hope there will be no more problems and that you have a lovely time.
  • Ditto.
    Fingers crossed for pleasant Easter weekend weather.