Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Marriott Hotels looking for wedding poems

Comments

• Well done, that woman - enjoy your prize, Viv and do report back about where you went!
  • That is such exciting news, Viv! I hope you enjoy the weekend and have a fabulous time!
  • Brilliant Viv - well done!
  • Viv that is fantastic - well done to you. I love Marriott hotels, I hope you enjoy the break.
  • I had hoped that, with them choosing several regional winners, someone else from talkback might have won a prize too. But no-one has reported here yet!
    Mutley, I have never been to a Marriott. They're good then, are they?
    Still waiting for the written confirmation of my prize and the chance to pick where and when to go.
  • Viv - do you think the break will inspire another poem?
  • You never know!
  • I used to stay in them for work a lot - then I'd got so many points I've effectively been round the world for free with them. Hawaii, Cuaracao, San Francisco, Vienna..., THey are the most consistently good hotels I know. In fact we are going to London in May and staying in the new one at St Pancras - the old Midlands Hotel (on husbands points!) I've very excited as I have wanted to stay there since I knew they were doing it up.
  • Let us know what it's like, Mutley. Thanks.
  • I'm hoping as it is newly opened I might get the odd article out of it :)
  • I read a review of it, Mutley, and it looked fab - very photogenic, too. So I definitely think you could get an article out of it.
  • I'm a bit surprised the judges split responses into 'regions' - there must have been far more entries from some regions than others, surely, due to popularity densities...? I think that should have been made clear in the T&Cs...!

I would have thought more TBers would have been recognised if there was such a spread!
  • How many TBers entered? I'm not sure of the ratio of poets to 'ordinary' writers. I don't fit into the poet department and, truthfully, if I did I wouldn't have entered, so ... maybe the amount of TBers who entered was relatively small.
  • edited April 2011
    Well I entered and I live in the Croydon area (shuffles feet with embarrassment). Croydon is a London borough so it probably came under London region, which meant I was up against Viv!! Gnash, gnash. Had I known, I'd have stayed home and saved me bus fare! At least I have the satisfaction of knowing I was beaten by a class act and not some saddo who just wrote them an advertising jingle. :-)
  • edited April 2011
    Is this the proportional representation thread?
  • I'm in Bedfordshire - don't know if that counts as the London region. I was really pleased with my poem. But I'm chuffed that a TBer won.
  • I'm in Bedfordshire too (Luton I'm afraid) - I've not heard anything re the two poems I submitted so must have been unsuccessful
  • I sent one in - it wasn't a serious contender, just for the fun of it!
  • Well done Viv! Mother-in-laws and daughter-in-laws - a subject close to my heart ! Cant wait to read it

I drafted one, then didnt go back to it - poetry isnt my thing I have to admit.
  • Strangely they still haven't announced the winners on their website or blog, despite saying they would do so on Monday. There may still be hope for some of you yet.
  • http://www.marriottlovepoems.blogspot.com/

They've added the list of winners now.
  • Thanks. Glad to see my name is on there and I wasn't dreaming!
  • The winners are mostly women.
  • I wonder if there are any poems with any ethnicity to them?!
    I'd like to share mine here, because I was really proud of it, as it was definitely something different!

An Indian Wedding
    Sara Sehdev

Brown flowers, swirls and patterns,
    Her hands are stained with ink,
    And through his fring’ed hat,
    His joyous eye does wink.

Enwrapped with rich red silk now,
    Embroidered cream and gold,
    In another language linked they are
    Until their days of old.

His bare toes fidget, aimless,
    Devoid of curled-end shoes,
    These traditions are not his,
    But this girl he chose to choose.

His nose protrudes so slightly,
    Just through his tassled crown,
    A smirk appears on her face,
    She casts her eyes right down.

Mirth crosses their expressions,
    She has to bite her tongue,
    Her mother elbows her to hush,
    She cannot do this wrong.

And then he holds the necklace out,
    Slim gold against her chest,
    She leans forward as he binds,
    Charm hanging by her breast.

Tis nearly done, their wedded bliss,
    She gently grasps his hand,
    And with a slight and teasing squeeze,
    The couple rise to stand.

Around a fire they walk and walk,
    Slowly exchanging side,
    And standing with their in-laws now,
    Groom and his giggling bride.
  • Does this mean you're hitched?
  • The blog is now displaying one of the winning poems, from the Midlands region - and they say they will put them all on there one at a time over the coming days. I thought the poem was Ok, but had some faults, especially a very dubiously placed question mark. Just waiting for mine to appear now!
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]Does this mean you're hitched?[/quote]

Hee hee, not yet! September for the Indian wedding (August for the Catholic) - am beginning to have nightmares already!
  • Another post up on the Marriott Love Poems blog - what does everyone think?
  • I suppose it was inevitable they would have to include a same-sex ceremony! The poem has a nice sentiment about it though.
  • I enjoyed the Dear Heart poem.

Here's mine:

OF ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD

Of all the people in the world
    I've chosen you for me.
    If I look out across a crowd
    Yours is the face I see.
    If I were reaching for a hand
    Yours is the hand I'd take
    And if I had to choose just one
    You are the friend I'd make.

If I could do just anything
    I'd sit with you and talk
    And if I err and lose my way
    I'll follow where you walk.
    Of all the voices in the world
    Yours is the one I heed
    And when I feel I'm sinking, then
    You are the rock I need.

If I could choose one single time
    It would be here and now,
    As we unite before our friends
    To make our wedding vow.
    If I can make one precious wish
    We two will never part
    And I will give one gift to you:
    My loving, constant heart.
  • Oh, Lou, I love that, it's genuinely wonderful. :)
  • SMashing, Lou. Beautifully balanced and effective as a wedding love poem.
  • Lou - that's lovely!
  • Lou, did you enter this poem? Why didn't it win???
  • I love your poem , Lou. I too am puzzled why it didn't win.
  • Wow, thank you everyone, that's very kind of you. Yes, I did enter.
  • Lou that's really beautiful, I can imagine people using it a reading
  • Congratulations, you winners!
  • Great news, Viv. Well done!
  • I love your beautiful poems OA and Lou. Thought I might as well add my entry and we can have our own Talkback wedding poem collection! Mine is very simple and reflects my own feelings on my second marriage, which was in complete contrast to my first in every way and was definitely the right choice second time around!

THIS TIME

No fancy dress this time
    No top and tails this time
    No big car
    No ‘ta-dah’
    No stress this time
    Yes, yes, this time
    Complete
    We are

No seating plan this time
    No drunk best man this time
    No canapés
    No fuss
    No rings to match this time
    It’s you and me this time
    All we need
    Only us

No hands to shake this time
    No speech to make this time
    Nothing borrowed
    Nothing blue
    Yes, second time around
    First time love we’ve found
    Just me
    Just you

No flower girls this time
    No lace and pearls this time
    No song
    No score
    Yes, yes this time
    So much less this time
    Much less
    Much more
  • Lovely! It' really shows that it's all about the feelings, not the trimmings. I know just how you feel.
  • How on earth did they choose winners when there were so many super poems (as above) sent in?
  • I like that one very much. I wouldn't want to be a judge on any competition as so much is down to personal preference that we would all have different opinions but I have liked the ones on here. :)
  • Yeah, lovely that, Josette. I also agree with you that in many respects on the wedding day, less is more. And did you know that according to Catholic teaching - not that your marriage was a Catholic one; I'm just saying - there is no need for a minister at a wedding, since the sacrament of matrimony is administered to the bride and groom by each other.
  • Yes, I agree it would be hard to judge, but then it is a very personal subject and means many things to many people. Also, you change and your circumstances change and what matters greatly at one point in life seems insignificant at others and vice versa. It's the marriage years that matter though in the end, much more than the day.
  • That's lovely, Josette. And you can tell it's from the heart.
  • And I expect the judges needed to choose a mixture of styles and sentiments to make the finished book more varied. My winning poem is more light-hearted, but by no means better than the above.
  • I loved all the above poems. Here's mine, a sonnet, which I wrote as I mentioned earlier, two days after the competition ended! Of course, I didn't send it.

When I was a young girl a while ago,
    I dreamt of the day when I would be bride.
    In my dreams I was happy, beautiful
    And radiant, sparkling, dressed all in white.

My bridegroom stood beside me when we wed,
    He was handsome, dashing and always kind;
    From the moment we met at the station
    It didn't take long to make up our minds.

We knew we were in love within a week -
    Your smile beguiled when we danced every night,
    While on holiday, we won three-legged race
    And when you kissed me, I swooned with delight.

Happy the pair who start their marriage here,
    We hope their bliss lasts for many a year!

As it was too late for Marriott's competition, I altered some of the poem a little and the couplet to the following, for our wedding anniversary later this year:

We were so happy on that wedding day,
    Just as we're now, 55 years away!
  • Oh, that is beautiful, Verica. How wonderful to have got to 55 years - my warmest Congratulations to you and your husband. I think winning a three-legged race together is definitely a good omen and very symbolic!