Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Latest Static Movement anthologies (speculative fiction)

edited September 2010 in - Resources
For those of us who enjoyed submitting to Static Movement's Caught by Darkness and Dusted anthologies, there is now quite a few more disturbing collections being unleashed:

http://www.staticmovement.com/projects.htm

Have fun!

Comments

• I've been out of the loop, getting the Osseous Box ready, cheers for pointing them out Lou.
  • It's all down to you that the rest of us were in them at all!
  • I did noticed that they've been doing a lot of anthologies, including a fairy one. Although, I'm not sure I'll be able to write something in time before it closes.
  • thanks for that! Sent in a story, see how it goes. He can only say no.
  • Which one did you send it for, Dorothy?
  • the horror one. It's a dark brooding tale rather than gore and fangs.
  • Tip, Dorothy - Chris Bartholomew is a 'she'! I made the mistake but she was lovely about it.
  • Oh, and thanks Lou - for the heads up!

Don't forget Red Skies Press' Their Dark Masters - http://redskiespress.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=anthology Although that is completely about gore and fangs!

There's a lot of mutual respect between Static Movement, Red Skies and Pill Hill so...
  • I didn't say 'dear sir'; but I now know how to respond when I get an answer, thanks Lily!
  • Yes, you get the sense that it's a bit of a community.
  • I have been accepted into the Oh Horror anthology! Thanks for the posting!
  • Brilliant! You have laid down the challenge now - I need to get submitting!
  • Well done Dorothy :)
  • Great news Dorothy! Well done.

I've got a few ideas so will be getting one over soon, after I've finished my second entry for Their Dark Masters on Red Skies.
  • I'm really pleased. It's an odd little story, very dark, told from a different perspective than usual, with a most nasty ending.
  • Well done, Dorothy.
  • I've been accepted into the Dark Romance - From the Far Side anthology tonight, which I'm quite pleased about.
  • brilliant news, Pix, especially when the editor tells me she has been receiving very good stories, shows yours is as good if not better than the rest.
  • Well done Pix!! Great news. Is it a new story?
  • No Lily, it's not. It's A Date, from TKnC, but I will be writing a new story for their faerie anthology. I'm just trying to get some stories into print, if I can.
  • edited September 2010
    That's a great story.

Well done on getting your stuff out there; there's a fair few interesting outlets at the moment just waiting for you. :)
  • Well done Pixie and all who have been accepted.
  • I've just been accepted into Hit Man, with an old OWC from last year, which I though the writing was a bit naff. Just goes to show, doesn't it?

I'm very happy though...two anthologies in just over 12 hours...
  • You're on a roll! Wow! There's bound to be a third. Great stuff!
  • I hope there'll be a third and possibly a fourth. Depends if I get my finger out and write and polish this week in my free time or not.

Although, I have seen a lot of TBer's names on the lists of the anthologies, so well done to those people :)
  • so where did my post go, saying many congratulations, Pix, you're doing so well!

I've had two more stories accepted and a third is out there. Still room for a TB takeover, people!
  • Not Static Movement but I've just written, typed up and done the first edit of my entry to The New Flesh's Inaugural TNF Flash Fiction War comp. Flash fiction up to 1000 words with the theme "...and that's why I keep my eye in a pickle jar."

Details at The New Flesh http://newfleshmagazine.blogspot.com/2010/08/inaugural-tnf-flash-fiction-war.html

There are prizes, but not sure what that means.

I've been following TNF for over a year - love it; the stories they publish online are truly dark and often bizarre. Our own Lee Hughes has had a couple of pieces up there.
  • Afternoon Tea has been accepted for Oh the Horror, so pretty pleased.
  • Congrats all! I miss submitting to anthos, but the novel won't polish itself. Though I have to admit I took time out to write a story for 'Their Dark Master' by Red Skies Press.
  • Congratulations Pixie, Red and Dorothy (again)!

Pixie (and everyone else interested) - Wyvern are asking for submissions for their Fangtales anthology - it's young adult. I've just sent one in myself. Here's the link:

http://www.wyvernpublications.co.uk/calls-for-submission
  • hate to tell you this but there's another acceptance this morning, for the Catastrophe anthology.
    One story's going in the Creepy one, it's all about ants.
  • Well done Dorothy, your showing us all how it's done :)
  • not really, Shell, just sending out work that appeared in small press - and a few in Short Story International, a magazine/book that I really really liked and was very upset when it folded. Today's acceptance is Shiloh, close to being my all time favourite story, post Holocaust, built around Ray Bradbury's Little Drummer Boy At Shihoh, removed to the far future.
    the first acceptance, which appeared in Dusted, is also a post Holocaust story, only now do I see that it typifies my intense hatred of TV. Odd that.
  • Well I sent off a story yesterday for the Oh, The Horror! and it got rejected - my first ever rejection. But I've got ideas for two more anthologies so I'll be writing them and subbing them off, seeing if I can get into those, then write something for that horror one. I want to get in as many as possible.

I aint giving up yet. I'll be home early tomorrow from college so it'll give me a good start.
  • Shiloh was rejected for one anthology (hard SF) but sent across to the Catastrophe one and accepted for that.
  • Hmm that's interesting Dorothy. I might have a think later on about maybe subbing the rejected story into the thriller one, but I'm not sure my story is suitable for young adults. I don't know. I'll just stick with the two I'm aiming for at the moment.
  • think about it, Pix, you might get in another of the anthologies.

I had an acceptance this morning for a brand new never-before-seen story in the Haunted anthology. I is SO pleased about that. I wrote it a year ago at this time, Autumn, (it's called Autumn Leaves) and didn't do anything with it.
  • Well done Dorothy, your doing ace :)
  • Yes, respect!!!
  • You are on a roll Dorothy, well done.
  • You've all got my jealous hackles up now, gonna be joining this TB melee.
  • thank you! Just had some complimentary words from the editor. Always nice to receive!
  • Well done Dorothy!
  • well done Dorothy :-)
  • it's good to be in the anthology ...

on the other hand, I was going to massacre the 1029 words and turn it into an entry for the OWC this month. Damn, now I have to find another storyline ... (LOL)

No, it wouldn't have worked, it wasn't inspired by any of my authors, it was a Dorothy original.
  • Well I'm half way there on the word count for the fairy anthology (Wrong thread really I know) so I should be able to get it over 2000 words which is the minimum. I'll be my longest short to date.
  • keep going, Pix...
  • Hurray - my story for The New Flesh I mentioned above has been accepted. They're running it on the site on Saturday 18th September at http://newfleshmagazine.blogspot.com. I think there's a chance of the winner getting into their end of year antho.

It's called Dressing-Up Box and is about a demon with a penchant for dancing, who regularly exchanges its body parts and organs with pieces it has collected from the victims he has ravaged. :)
  • congratulations, Lily!