Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Latest Static Movement anthologies (speculative fiction)

Comments

• It's very Jasper Ffordian!
  • going for that tonight. Waiting to see if Greg Miller wants a second one for his anthology, which I have ready roll if he does.
    Congratulations on the acceptance last night!!!!!
  • Again, not Static Movement but just had my second piece 'Pustula Peculiar' accepted into Pill Hill's Daily Bites of Flesh 2011 .

You can probably tell by the title that it's not a nice romance. ;)

Jessy tells me it's almost full so last call - http://www.pillhillpress.com/daily-bites-of-flesh.html and forum at http://pillhillpress.lefora.com/2010/03/28/daily-bites-of-flesh-antho-open-until-filled/

Congrats to everyone in all the anthos so far (and cheers, Stephen :)). Exhausting!
  • congratulations, Lily! Keep the horror going ... I hope to do some more work on my horror book today, set me up for the weekend!

I''m accepted as a Fictioneer, just got the email this morning. Waiting on news of my second submission to Best Left Buried and another SF one.
  • Heard today that my second piece has been accepted into Red Skies Press 'Their Dark Masters', joining Lee Hughes. Apparently it needs editing down a bit as it's an 'ickle bit too violent. Whoops!

Actually, I'm really pleased with it - it took me a long time to get right. It's called The Infanta Triptych and is about an ancient set of three conjoined paintings, the subjects of which are vicious, bloodthirsty and diabolical. And have a life of their own.
  • Well done Lily!!
    [quote=LilyC]ickle bit too violent[/quote] what a compliment!! :D
  • Congrats Lily! I'm too young for Red Skies Press.
  • Congratulations on the latest successes all.
  • Well done, LilyC.
  • Congratulations, Lily! That story sounds intriguing.
  • It does indeed sound intriguing ...
  • fantastic, Lily, keep going!!!!
  • RedRed
    edited October 2010
    Had an acceptance into Static's 'Something in the Attic' anthology with a ghostly tale of a WW2 battlecruiser on the brink of destruction at the hands of Japanese bombers. I'm chuffed with Chris' awsome feedback.
  • brilliant news! Chris is a fine editor.
  • That's good news Red.
  • And about time too. It's an excellent story...well, the last version I read was anyway. I know you...:)

Congrats Red!
  • Ha, yes Pixiepants, you know me. And yes, I did lol
  • Great news Red. Congrats!
  • Well done, Red!
  • love your story in Oh The Horror, Red!
  • Well done, Red
  • I love the sound of your story Lily and well done on being too violent, what an achievement! I'd love to have a go at that but don't think I could write a vampire story. Pity too as I have a great title for a vampire tale.
  • Thanks Tony! I actually didn't use the vampire word once in the story and they didn't have fangs - I just allowed them to rip people's throats (and other bits) out with normal gnashers!

Actually, although I've written a few vampire tales, I wouldn't say they're my thing; I'm more of a demon girl, truth be known.

Red Skies have a medieval-horror themed antho coming up once Their Dark Masters is published (in December, I believe). It might appeal to some TBers. I have an idea for it but it's set at the very, very end of the medieval period so I might be pushing my luck. I might have to rewrite history. :)

Anyway, the Editor Mark Crittenden is great. Very supportive.
  • Just had 'Passengers' accepted by Chris for 'Something in the Attic'. It's a story about ambulance trains in France during WW1. I agree Red, Chris gives great feedback-well done to all who submitted and to those accepted.
  • Well done red-lucy! Sounds really interesting. Yes, Chris is great, isn't she.
  • good one, Red-Lucy! Will look out for that when I get the antho.
  • Congrats, red-lucy!

Dont' forget Pill Hill Press everyone - you might like the Wretched Moments anthology - and they pay (a little)!

http://www.pillhillpress.com/wretched-moments.html
  • Those of you in Daily Bites of Flesh - have you seen Jessy's posted the calendar of whose story appears when?

http://pillhillpress.lefora.com/2010/03/28/daily-bites-of-flesh-antho-open-until-filled/page13/

I'm a June baby!
  • edited November 2010
    I have one in June as well Lily, the months for the other three haven't been posted yet :(
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my birthday, July :P
  • Can't wait to read yours BR.

OMG - I think I still have something from you in my Inbox. So sorry! I'll have a read later and get back to you (I'm a sieve for brains).
  • Hehe, think it was second story from Daily Bites I sent you Lily.
  • I'm September! (I think)
  • A thought - a good handful of TBers have been accepted into Pill Hill, Static Movement and Red Skies Press anthologies. This by no means means it's easy or a 'given' to be accepted.

Reading WN earlier it struck me that the magazine supplement likes subscribers to talk about their successes and - although they're not best sellers, I do feel it's been an achievement for us to get into the above anthos - if only as an acknowledgement that we can write, and write well.

I'm happy to write a little article about us (ooh!) which I hope would bring attention to our writing, to TB and to the anthos. Please let me know if you'd like to be mentioned, and which anthos you are published in, with titles. Whisper if you prefer.
  • That's a good idea, LilyC - bet WN would like it, particularly as TB is 'their' baby!
  • Hope so Ceka!
  • Good idea, Lily. Hopefully you'll get a response. I got fed up waiting for a response to my articles. But good luck...

I'd certainly like a mention, with anthos Pill Hill's Daily Flash (Saw You), Static's Caught By Darkness (Dark Water), Oh, The Horror (Afternoon Tea) and Something in the Attic (Transmit and Receive).
  • Cheers Red. Thanks, and will do.

Only those who contact me will get a mention, obviously. Whether open or whispered.

Guess I'd better give a deadline - Friday 19th November. There - done.

Might need photos - 'though WN probably won't be able to accommodate all!
  • Just heard that vampire antho Their Dark Masters is going to be released on 1st January 2011. Line-up includes me and Lee Hughes.

Final front and back cover plus full line up over at http://lilychildsfeardom.blogspot.com/2010/11/their-dark-masters-release-date.html
  • Well done Lily (and Lee). Cover looks deliciously dark and gruesome.
  • Well done indeed Lily and Lee. Not one I'll be buying though - looks HORRIBLE (and I've had a sneak preview of Lee's story and it didn't help me sleep at all)
  • Hi Lily - what a great idea!

I'm in
    Pill Hill Press - Daily Bites of Flesh (Welcome to the Neighborhood)
    Dark Things IV (Peace)
    Static Movement - Caught by Darkness (The Nightmare)
  • Excellent Lou - thanks, the list is growing!
  • Do Static Movement pay if your story is accepted? Unless I misunderstood their blurb you don't normally get paid unless you win one of their comps or are voted top dog. It does say (on their website) that payment varies from anthology to anothology and I found one that pays 1 cent per word and another that offers .25 of a cent per word.

That doesn't seem much - have I missed something? Their books aren't cheap to buy.
  • mostly they are 'for love' anthologies. l'm happy to be in them for this reason: I can persuade Amazon to list them on my author profile page. So ... if anyone follows through my name from one of the anthologies or the interview which I did for someone associated with them, or from Spook City or anywhere else my work appears for free, they will find the duke's book listed, and all subsequent books too. The one should feed off the other. Meantime it looks good and feels good to be accepted.
  • I've just had a story accepted in to an anthology!!!! :D My very first one! YAY!

I'm going to be bouncing off the walls all day now :)
  • Brilliant news Chippy. Nice start to the morning.
  • great news Chippy , its a nice feeling.
  • brilliant news, Lou!
    Are you trying for any of my fifteen ...
    I have everything from
    Tales of Salt and Sorrow (sea stories)
    to the creepy Shattered Dreams,
    taking in, Winter Chills, Spring Fever, Summer Thrills and Fall Shudders, Dark Secrets, Obsession, Midnight Train, Evil In Flight, One Hour, ...
  • Congratulations, Chippy :)
  • Well done Chippy.