Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Latest Static Movement anthologies (speculative fiction)

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Ooooo...
    Well done Lily.
  • Well done Lily!

*Heave*
  • Okay, people may want to look away here, but here is the list of anthologies I've been accepted into so far...not quite finished yet...

Dark Romance - From The Far Side
    Hit Men
    Faeries: An Anthology of Magical Short Stories
    Oh, The Horror!
    Darkest Secrets

And I say I'm not finished, because there are some anthologies that might be worth writing for as something different. That said, Chris said that you can have up to three submissions for the Faeries one. I know what I'll be doing this weekend...
  • Doing well Pixie, building up a CV already. Well done. :)
  • Yay, keep going Pixie. Well done!
  • such good news!
  • Wow - that's great, Pixie!

Don't forget to do your Amazon author page when they are up for sale!
  • I will do Lou...if I knew had to do it!

And thanks everyone. :)
  • Pix, if I can set up an author page, so can you! Go to the Author Central pages and follow the instructions, you'll need ISBN numbers and things to prove you are published, so as soon as you get the copies, go do.
  • Ooo right. As soon as I've updated my anthologies page on my blog, I shall investigate.
  • It's fun and it makes you feel like a real author!
  • It took me round in circles and I gave up.
  • Oh no! I found it very straightforward.
  • Hmm. Not for me. Computer says no.
  • Same here. It isn't working for me at the moment.
  • Are you logged in?
  • I'm not recognised as having made a contribution to the anthologies and I need to prove I'm a author. They can **** off. I have better things to do.
  • It's the same here. They won't let me join because I'm not 'a contributing author'. Well I have a book to confirm that. And when the others come out, I'll have 8 books to prove that.
  • Hey, very well done everyone. As you know, I've been concentrating on the novel, but it's great to see all these successes. I feel a short story coming on...
  • I think you have to send them a message telling them you are a contributing author. Usually very quick to respond and sort out. Dead simple, fast and easy.
  • That's what I did, and they had the cheek to say I wasn't part of the anthology. So I've given up.
  • Did you do 'Add Books' in your Author Central account and give the ISBN for it?
  • I couldn't add anything because my name wasn't there to add. Basically, I can't join because my name is not in a book that I'm actually in.
  • Can you get an e-mail confirmation from the anthology producer confirming you are in the book, that could be then passed on as proof?
  • When you do 'Add Book' you put the ISBN number into the box and send it off. They then confirm it and add you as a contributor on the book page on the site.

If you mean you have a byline and can't add it because it's not your real name then you're best setting up another account with the byline name too.
  • Yeeeeah...did that, sent it off and they confirmed a big fat no.
  • It's not as easy as adding the ISBN number and sending it off. It helps if my name is there to add TO my page. Author Central is being difficult and annoying me. I've sent a request, again, and if it doesn't work, then I'm giving up.
  • Not the attitude Pix
  • Well no, I know. But if it's going to be a pain in the backside and I have better things to do, like write or do homework...you can see why I'd give up. It's being difficult and annoying.
  • I had a few problems at the start, it didn't recognise the duke's book. I left it for a while, then went back and it all went smoothly.
  • I mentioned my entry to The New Flesh comp on the previous page. It's published today at http://newfleshmagazine.blogspot.com/2010/09/swivel.html 'Dressing-Up Box' by Lily Childs

With comments so far including "gross" and "disgusting" (tee hee) it definitely needs a warning!! It is horror after all.
  • Hi Pixie and Red, I think I know what the problem is. When I emailed them to tell them I was in Caught by Darkness, I actually referred to the one selling on Amazon.com, not .uk. If you look at the American site, we are all listed there in the description as authors, and that is what I referred to in my email. On the British site we are not mentioned so Amazon wouldn't see that you are in there.

So don't give up, try again but this time tell them you are listed as a contributor in the description on Amazon.com.

Lily, I don't think you've done this either as you still haven't appeared as an author on Caught by Darkness. Come on guys, I feel silly (and guilty) being on there as a contributor without you lot.
  • Lou that is good advice to remember if anyone is in an anthology and has this problem in future.
  • I'll get around to it sooner, or later, not even bought any of the antho's yet lol, appeasing the tax-man first. Then I'll look forward to reading all the stories.
  • Lou, I did tell them but they didn't respond. As you've nagged me :) I've just contacted them about it again. Thanks for the push.
  • edited September 2010
    Well done to all who've made it into the various anthologies.
    I made a couple of attempts with Static Movement after my Pill Hill Press success, but I was trying to write in a genre that doesn't come naturally to me and it showed. It was an interesting exercise though; the advice I'm always hearing about writing what you enjoy reading rings even truer now. :)
  • Well done, all who have had acceptances. Unfortunately, the subjects are not my scene - I don't think I could write anything suitable either for sci/fi or horror if I tried for months on end and the paranormal would frighten me by writing about it!
  • Well done, all of you, for all the acceptances. Unfortunately, none of the anthologies are my scene - I don't think I could write sci/fi or horror if I tried for months on end. Anything paranormal would frighten me while I was writing it! Only the Fountain of Youth could be my saviour, but without the Down Side, so I won't be writing it, as I'd prefer it to end happily!
  • I apologise for being so stupid and thinking the first entry above was lost, as it didn't seem to appear when I looked, so I thought I hadn't pressed 'Post your comments'. I think I'll go back to bed and get up again with some common sense!
  • I'm sure we've all done it, Verica!
  • Very easy to do...
  • OK. The Author Page at Caught By Darkness isn't going to happen. Here's my response from Amazon Author Central (and my own advice to 'get in there' as soon as the book appears on Amazon):

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk.

In relation to your request to be added to the "More About the Authors" section of the book "Caught by Darkness: An Anthology of Dark Tales", I have just received a response from the relevant department and they have said that currently the More About the Author section only displays the first five contributors who've been associated with the title.

Amazon understands that there are going to be instances where there will be larger numbers of contributors for titles, especially for anthologies, therefore the relevant department has taken this feedback and they may consider extending the number of contributors displayed in the More About the Author section in the future.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by this matter.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon.co.uk.
  • You're lucky you got one back. After sending another request with proof, I haven't heard nothing back. So.
  • Interesting. After the first round of faffing, I fired an email off to them - shan't tell you the content - but within an hour I got a reply saying I was now recognised as a contributing author. I had to do the same process for Dr Ramsey and Mind Games...only this time I was prepared and gave it to them with both barrels. 40 minutes later - approx 2.20am I had a reply to say I was now listed. Whether that is the case remains to be seen.

Unfortunately I really cannot abide faffing on this scale and my Faffometer gets twitchy on amber, never mind red. I'll be the first to admit that patience was last on the list when I was made, and I have a pretty explosive temper to go with it. Overall, Amazon have really effed me off. Need to get themselves sorted pretty quick smartish, because the first 5 contributors is a two fingered salute to those who deserve to be recognised.
  • I'd be upset too- it's not acceptable to say the first five only- either it's all or nothing!
  • That is so unfair - and how bad do I feel now! Unfortunately it's now going to be a case of noting the publication date of future anthologies, then racing to get your request in before anybody else - which isn't the way it should be, especially when we all try to be supportive of each other on this forum rather than competitive. Shame - I hope they do rethink it.
  • I'm not going to get myself recognised as a contributor until ALL TBers are able to do so.
  • I don't think I'm either going to bother. I've got bigger things to concentrate on, like a career than being recognised as an author. I'm only young, I've got ages to market myself, as it were.
  • [quote=Red]my Faffometer gets twitchy on amber[/quote]

I do agree...life's too short...especially when you are trying to get on with writing. It's not the technology it's the stupid faffing incomprehensible rules they put on it.