Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are you reading now?

Comments

• Reading a book called 'The Troubadours and their World.'
    Hasn't been taken out of the library since 1986.
  • Not many gigs, then, lately.
  • Rumour has it they do private concerts in the palaces of southern France.
  • [quote=BuickMackane]Rumour has it they do private concerts in the palaces of southern France. [/quote]

How thrilling and romantic. Would they play at the Vampire Annual Black Rose Ball, do you think?

(see The Dark Heroine)
  • As long as as the decor isn't too on-the-nose, - vampire bats, etc.
  • [quote=BuickMackane]As long as as the decor isn't too on-the-nose, - vampire bats, etc. [/quote]

Point taken, but it does need to grab you by the throat...
  • I am reading 'Elephant Song' by Wilbur Smith - rather sad in a way, it is about the illegal ivory trade and the slaughter of a family of elephants but a little more besides. I won't tell you the rest of what I read so far, it will spoil it for other people who want to read it.
  • Currently reading A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly. Think I'm going to reread On Writing when I've finished but have so much on my 'to read' list at the minute! Reading Psychologies magazine this month has inspired me to try reading a few inspiring self-help books, not usually my bag but I've got some major plans this year so it may be a good time to see what I can learn from them. Has anyone got any recommendations?
  • I've been reading a few e-book previews this afternoon, and there are a few possibles for buying later on.
  • Pure by Julianna Baggott
  • The Blackhouse - Peter May.
  • [quote=kado]The Blackhouse - Peter May. [/quote]

Yes, I've read a couple of his, kado. They are very well-written.
  • 'Wherever You Are', by The Military Wives.
  • edited January 2013
    'Pride and Prejudice', Jane Austen.
    Re-reading it with the WM Comp in mind, but now have too much going on to enter this one.
  • STILL have not read Pride and Prejudice. Apparently it's a big deal.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]Yes, I've read a couple of his, kado. They are very well-written.
    [/quote]

I've never read any of his work before, but thought I'd begin with the Lewis Trilogy.
  • Finally on the 5th and final (for now) George R R Martin - A Dance with Dragons. While the last one was slow, this gets to the 'wow' moments from near the beginning. Best book along with the 3rd (A Storm of Swords).
  • "Times Long Run" by Stephen Orr. I'm only on page 1 but what a page 1.
  • The Big Sleep. I love it. Witty as hell.
  • [quote=BuickMackane]The Big Sleep. I love it. Witty as hell. [/quote] I must add it to my list, sounds great. Thanks BM.

I'm reading blackfeather's book - Blackfeather - and absolutely loving it! Where kan I git me one o' them angels?
  • Just re-read T S Eliot's Old Possems Book of Cats - very amusing.
  • The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice, some of the editing is atrocious.
  • Oh and so is some of the writing, the dialogue is stale, and apparently if you poke a fire's flames it roars back into life. I feel guilty as I really don't want to read any further but hubby bought it me for Christmas, because I wanted it.
  • [quote=pbw]I'm reading blackfeather's book - Blackfeather - and absolutely loving it! Where kan I git me one o' them angels?[/quote]

Great, isn't it?
  • [quote=Neph]The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice, some of the editing is atrocious. [/quote] I couldn't decide whether I enjoyed that book or not- I read too many reviews on goodreads before I got hold of a copy and spent the whole book looking for the negative points raised in reviews.

I've just finished 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff, which I found in the library yesterday after wanting to read it for years (but couldn't remember the author nor the title, only the gist of the tale and that the title was a street name). It was lovely, but I sped through it too quickly so I'm probably going to re-read it before I return it.

My next book to be is The Terrible Privacy of Maxwell Sim by Johnathan Coe. I don't know whether I'm going to like it or not, but I had it on my to-read list for a while.
  • I read a digest of 84 Charing Cross Road in The Readers Digest Years ago. It's a fascinating story. Today in the doctor's waiting room I dipped a book of poems on my ipad some by Shelley - why did he write such long poems? I am not sure I understand all that he writes though I can appreciate the use and beauty of the langauge.
  • Currently reading 'Women Who Run With Wolves'. I've been meaning to read it for AGES. It's pretty heavy going in places and seems to be quite repetative but I am finding it interesting although I'm now getting to the point I do just want to move on to something else.
  • Just started Oy Yew by one of our own TBers.
  • Just reading Winter Storms by Polar Bear.
  • Finished The Big Sleep.
    Now moving on to an biography of Machiavelli.
  • Just been reading some erotica on an historical romance theme. Take out the sex scenes, or reduce the number and variety of them the story would have workjed just as well. :)

I think I'll be reading a contemporary romance next- I've downloaded at least four to choose from.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Just reading Winter Storms by Polar Bear[/quote]

Finished it and am now on Fifty Sheds of Grey.
  • I am always reading on Kindle these days - usually books I have discovered by unknown writers. I can never remember the names to contribute on this thread as once you're in, you don't get to see the title again!

I'm reading a thriller. It's alright . . .
  • [quote=Emma B]STILL have not read Pride and Prejudice. Apparently it's a big deal.[/quote]

It certainly is, Emma. Biggest deal this side of Vegas. You'll be into the style of it by chapter 3 and I don't think you'll regret it.

I'm on Mockingjay - Hunger Games part 3.
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I can never remember the names to contribute on this thread as once you're in, you don't get to see the title again![/quote]

Why not? You can see it in the list of books stored and by going to the beginning.
  • But I never go back to the beginning. It opens on the page I'm up to and I just carry on blindly until I get to the end, at which point I am reminded.
  • What I'm saying, is I can't be bothered to go back. I realise it's possible.

If I read a really good book, I will look back so that I can report to base.
  • Oh, OK. Now I understand.

I'm reading Fifty Sheds of Grey - still.
  • Wolf Hall, Hilary Mantel.

Enjoying it.
  • I loved 84 Charing cross road. Still struggling with the wolf gift, it's really sloppy writing.
  • [quote=Neph]I loved 84 Charing cross road[/quote]

On my list to read.
  • [quote=Neph]Still struggling with the wolf gift, it's really sloppy writing.[/quote] I'm amazed. I never would have imagined she'd write sloppily. I'll have to try it for myself and see.
  • So disappointed in a recent Terry Pratchett book, 'Unseen Academicals'.
    I know he has Alzheimers, but this reads as if someone else wrote it with TP putting in a bit here and there.
    His other books - and I've read almost all of them - are sharp and witty enough to make me laugh out loud.
    And there isn't an unnecessary word in any of them.
    This book wanders all over the place and is the first of his books I've had an urge to edit.
    If he's collaborating with someone, why not say so?
  • Ezra Pound's ABC of Reading
  • [quote=Lizy]If he's collaborating with someone, why not say so?[/quote]

I know he was having problems with typing, so someone else was doing that for him.
  • High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. Just an easy amusing read so I can try to stop my OCD tendancy to constantly set myself reading goals! So far it's going well, I'm monitoring my page numbers a lot less and enjoying reading more instead of it becoming another stupid thing I'm putting pressure on myself with. I didn't realise how much I did it and how unhealthy it was until I discussed it with other readers. Oopsy!

I'm also desperate to get myself reading Stephen King's The Stand after seeing it recommended so highly by TBers :-)
  • Coal Mines - Confessions and Dance Halls with return to the North, by Vicky Aram.
  • The Real Katie Lavender by Erica James.
  • Far Out by Fiona Faith Ross.
  • [quote=Lizy] but this reads as if someone else wrote it with TP putting in a bit here and there.[/quote] [quote=Lizy] but this reads as if someone else wrote it with TP putting in a bit here and there.[/quote]

His daughter helps. This might explain much... or nothing.

Currently reading Jack Glass by Adam Roberts, haven't read a book since the last G R R Martin effort last year. This one is deliciously refreshing crime spec-fic. Apparently new genre,