Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are you reading now?

Comments

• I want to give up with this blooming book, but hubby bought it me for Christmas and I feel like I should.
  • The Thread by Victoria Hislop
  • How are you finding The Thread? I bought it AGES ago and just haven't got round to reading it
  • Very good, I read her other book The Return which at times was hard going but this is more of a page turner. I am half way throughit.
  • [quote=Neph]

I want to give up with this blooming book, but hubby bought it me for Christmas and I feel like I should.[/quote]
    Ooh I know how that feels. I got a book for Christmas called 'How To Be A Woman' by Caitlin Moran but I find it dreadful, still feel obliged to keep hold of it till I've read it, as it was a present.

I am currently re-reading 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff, for the absolute pleasure of it before it goes back to the library. I first heard about it on a radio article years ago. It is about the correspondance between Miss Hanff and a gentleman called Frank Doel who worked in a bookshop in Charing Cross called Marks and Co. It's absolutely adorable because it shows a developing friendship, a huge love of books and some very lively letters! It begins in 1949 and you can really imagine how much she touched the lives of the people who worked in the shop, not just for her lively letters and love of 'attractively good' books but she sent them parcels at Christmas and Easter, which considering rationing was going on absolutely wowed them to death.

It's lovely.
  • I am reading Terry Pratchett, 'A blink of the screen- collected shorter fiction'. This includes some of his first written pieces - very interesting. I bought this just before Christmas.
  • I'm reading Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde. Not really getting into it though, maybe its too much of a kids book for me :/
  • [quote=Emma B]High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.[/quote] I read it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.

I have finished the Anne Rice and in paperback, I'm about to start The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Attwood. It's a classic and as an sf writer, I have to read.
    On my eReader, I haven't decided yet. I'll choose something when I settle down with it in bed.
  • Given up with the wolf gift. Gone back to Mike Carey´s Felix Castor.
  • I have finished the Handmaid's Tale - couldn't put it down. Scary, and prescient, with the global resurgence of misogyny. Now Starting Justin Thyme by Panama Oxridge. It's a YA in the genre I write in and it looks like fun.
  • I'm reading Justin Thyme - paper version and The Crew by Dougie Brimson on my Kindle.
  • The Night Circus - it's brilliant.
  • reading sidney sheldon are you affraid of the dark, love his books :)
  • Currently reading 'Waiting' by Ha Jin and find I'm flying through it. Desperate to get back to it but with today's and tomorrow's schedule it doesn't look likely until Friday.
  • I started a book of Walter Pater's essays, but couldn't finish it. Far too much abstract nonsense.

I'm now reading a book on Method acting. I don't really know why.
  • MICRO - Michael Crichton's last book. Not bad. pbw recommended it for a sense of tension and it certainly has that. I'm taking notes on how MC does it: basically by setting up situations where 10 things could go wrong and they usually do. Who said character was more important than plotting?
  • I'm also reading Pound's Cantos.
  • [quote=Dwight]basically by setting up situations where 10 things could go wrong [/quote]

He really was the guv'nor at doing that. Now, Micro includes some pretty far out science and demands a lot from the reader to suspend belief, but with meticulous detail and as you say, the masterly drawing of the plot threads, he succeeds in pulling you into the world he creates.

Should have said that in the past tense, really. Such a tragedy that he died. For me he is the genius techno-thriller author (he invented the genre, in any case).
  • The Incendiary's Trail by James McCreet.
  • Finished reading, pbw's - Far Out, last night.
    Now I am reading - Terry Pratchett - Wyrd Sisters.
  • [quote=Maro]Now I am reading - Terry Pratchett - Wyrd Sisters. [/quote]

One of his best, I reckon. The play too, is really good, if you ever get a chance to see it.
  • Just finished Bukowski's Factotum. Very funny.
  • Just finished re-reading Charitable Getting by Sam Starbuck. I forgot quite how much I enjoyed that book, and Sam's writing!
  • Breakfast at Tiffany's.
  • I have nothing to read. I've read them all. Every book I own, several times (apart from the ones I wanted to throw at the wall). I read in the morning with my cup of tea in bed: this morning I sat with a copy of 'Walking for Total Fitness', and thought about the exercises a lot.
    I've finished my knitting (a rather handsome shawl collared jacket, since you ask) and have nothing to do when not working. This is a recipe for mischief.
    I may have to go and rummage through boxes next door in order to see if I can find anything that I don't remember word for word - not likely, but I'll have tried.
    Coming to England in April, so can book-shop browse then. But that's weeks away.
  • Just finished a self-published Kindle book - No One to Hear You Scream by Julia Madeleine. Quite good but an annoying formatting issue ran through it.

Just started Malcolm Welshman's Pets in a Pickle.

I have a few other TBers' books lined up to read, too.
  • [quote=Mrs Bear]I have nothing to read. I've read them all. Every book I own, several times (apart from the ones I wanted to throw at the wall). [/quote]

Oh NO! How did that happen?
  • I'm reading PM's A year and A Day on my kindle and in paper...I'll have to tell you later because I haven't started it yet.
  • See, Mrs Bear, if you had a Kindle you could line 'em up and get another at the click of a button.
  • True, TN. I may have to give in one of these days - then I would have lots and lots of books at my fingertips. But how to choose from among so many? I'd be forever on the computer!
  • [quote=Mrs Bear] I'd be forever on the computer![/quote]

It's my second home!
  • The Outsider - Camus.
    A rare string of fiction books on the go.
  • I have 'The Night Circus' on my e-reader waiting to be read.
  • Carol I am loving it, so intriguing.
  • Poems of Dylan Thomas.
  • Wormwood - G P Taylor.

Night Circus, that sounds intriguing. Will try that next month.
  • Sell Your Books! - A book promotion handbook for the self-published and indie author

It's by Debbie Young - looking forward to reviewing it.
  • Recently finished 'The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared', by Jonass Jonasson, translated from Swedish. A very original book, very funny in places, although I sense it might have lost its 'edge' in translation.

Now reading 'One Good Turn', by Kate Atkinson. I'm not really a fan of detective stuff, but I rate Kate Atkinson highly.
  • [quote=snailmale]Kate Atkinson[/quote]
    I saw her interviewed on BBC Breakfast the other day. She has a new one out - Life after Life - not detective.
  • Farewell, My Lovely.
  • Where are you going? I was reading Philip Larkin on the train to London.
    He has a depressing view of life.
  • Hurricane Gold by Charlie Higson, because he is one of the iconic authors of YA. Not far in, but I am hooked.
  • Just finished re-reading Over the Gate by Miss Read. I really like the Miss Read books, they are exactly my kind of 'happy froth' books when I just want to read for quiet pleasure. I love the characters.

Am going to have to not read anything for the next couple of days as I need to gather research for an essay. :-(
  • Since my laptop has died again I'm back to reading either paperbacks or on my Kindle. I need to read Angela Carter's Bloody Chamber and other stories for one of my modules.

But my new book The Moth Diaries by Rachel Klein came today so I'm going be reading that too in the evening.
  • The Parafaith War by L E Modesitt. It's been a while since I've read a big sf novel, I might be on this one for some time...
  • Three shorts by V. Moody. I've started the first one, in the Grin The Cheat series. In the tradition of T. Pratchett and very funny. I know I shall enjoy them all. Wish I could write like that. They're free to download and I know V. Moody is trying to get published, like some of us are, so I'm sure the support wouldn't go amiss if any of you feel like reading them. They're free downloads.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/208635
  • I've just finished Space Orville by Jeff Whelan. It's best described as "Hitchhiker's Guide for YA", I guess. I don't want to give any plot spoilers. The creatures are wonderfully original (the baddie is a bit cliched but he puts an original slant on him) and the inventiveness of the language is astounding. It's only available on Kindle as an eBook. 5 stars from me.

I'm now reading another eBook (Kindle freebie, I think it was. I downloaded it months ago), Falling Star by Diana Dempsey, about a high profile, top-of-her-game, American News Anchor. It's a really good story and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Winter of the World by Ken Follett. I don't understand how a writer, who basically tells great stories, (The Pillars of the Earth, World Without End) manages to convey the impression that he is writing gigantic Janet and John primers. I feel I'm being 'talked down' to. I'm all for tight writing, but somehow nothing seems to 'flow' with Follett.
  • [quote=snailmale]manages to convey the impression that he is writing gigantic Janet and John primers.[/quote]

Is it another case of deadlines snatching away the manuscript before the writer has finished polishing? I'm hearing more and more complaints similar to this one from other friends of mine.
  • Kerouac's Dharma Bums
    Blake's Songs of Innocence & Experience