Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are you reading now?

Comments

• Still reading Lorna Doone...
  • Are ye no Doone wi it yet, hen?
  • edited June 2013
    [quote=jimholmes6]Killing Floor by Lee Child [/quote]

Can someone please explain to me why they chose Tom Cruise (5' 7" )to play Jack Reacher who stands a rock solid 6' 5"???

Love the Jack Reacher series btw.
  • Insurgent by Veronica Roth. Loved Divergent. Insurgent is Book 2 of the Trilogy.
  • edited June 2013
    The death of Tom Sharpe
    has prompted me to read "Porterhouse Blue" -very funny.
  • STILL reading Lorna Doone...
  • Just finished Bad Games by Jeff Menapace - a (very) dark psychological thriller.

As far as I can make out, he's a largely unknown writer, but he certainly had me on the edge of my seat!

Warning - it's not for the faint-hearted.
  • 1000 years of annoying the French by Stephen Clarke
    because the OH read it and keeps quoting bits.
  • Fragile Things. A collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman.
  • Vengeful Games, the sequel to Bad Games.

Not as excited by it so far.
  • Finished Lorna Doone!!!
  • edited June 2013
    Well done, Mrs B.

Parade's End, Ford Maddox Ford. First World War stuff, written in the 20's. Of its time, but I quite like that style.
  • Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer. A friend lent it to me. Can't put it down.
  • Just finished Killing Floor, hoping to have Neverwhere by Tuesday..
  • Stonemouth by Iain Banks.
  • Sing Sorrow Sorrow

A collection of dark and chilling tales - edited by Gwen Davis.
  • Finally reading the Suspicions of Mr Whicher, I am reserving opinion at this stage but so far it's not what I expected
  • Throne of Glass by Sarah J.Maas.
  • Previously posted on "What are you doing now" in error:

Having finished Pete Townshend's autobiography at the weekend I've started Wilt on High in memory of Tom Sharpe who died recently.
  • A Concise History of Scotland by Fitzroy Maclean.

It was given to me by a friend so I started it under mild protest, and it was published in 1974 so it feels like a school book,
    but it's enlightening to read about Scottish history from a Scot's point of view for a change!
  • The Long Earth
    Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

I'm struggling to see what Stephen Baxter's input is because it is very much like a Discworld book.
    Don't know how much Pratchett is affected by the Parkinson's though? He has always been a favourite of mine since my school days.
  • Jim - I found the last two Pratchett books I read disappointing. Someone on TB said they thought his daughter was helping.
    If she is, she's riding on the coat-tails of his fame - these bood only had brief flashes of the TP genius.
    Unseen Academicals and Snuff both rambled garrulously, which his earlier books never did.
    such a shame, but I shall stick to his earlier works from now on.
  • Uninvited Guests by Sadie Jones.
  • I'm reading Barnaby Rudge - I do love Dickens' characters - it's a long book though!
  • I absolutely LOVED Throne of Glass. I don't read so much fantasy stuff, but this one entranced me. Sarah J. Maas took ten years to write it. I love the characters. The concept is subtle - lots of layers. It's romance dressed up in fantasy. Gorgeous. Can't wait to read the sequel.
  • I'm still re-reading To Serve Them...on my Kindle. Now I have Nefertari's book on the go, a new style guide for a client and current work. That will be finished later in the week and then I'm off on a trip to America with a new romance.

Ummm.
  • NOS4R2 - Joe Hill's latest. Had to finish the thing in less than a week. Everything else had to wait.
  • Reading Joe Hill's first book Heart-Shaped Box, and loving it. My mum's just finished NOS4R2 and is raving about it. Sounds a great read SL, can't wait to read it next!
  • The Spiral Arm by Peter Boland, an Indie author looking for reviews. It's okay so far. Vivid imagery.
  • My just-arrived copy of OWA - lovely!
  • pbwpbw
    edited June 2013
    Me Before You Jo Jo Moyes Heart-rending and compelling.
  • [quote=Mutley]I'm reading Barnaby Rudge - I do love Dickens' characters - it's a long book though![/quote]

I read that a couple of years ago. I read it on my kindle - it's a lot lighter that way!

I've just started "The Smell of Football" by Mick Rathbone (former professional footballer and later physiotherapist). Enjoyable stories but I don't think he employed a ghost writer. He should have.
  • Bitter River by Julia Keller

American writer. Crime thriller set on East Coast.

I used to read a great deal of Minette Walters and Patricia Cornwell, so I am accustomed to the style and this one is good.
  • [quote=JohnWho63]Stonemouth by Iain Banks.[/quote]

That's a good one.

Read Lorna Doone when I was about 14, brilliant book.

I'm currently reading within my own genre at the moment: The Taming of Ryder Cavanaugh by Stephanie Laurens.
  • [quote=Carol]JohnWho63 wrote: Stonemouth by Iain Banks.

That's a good one.

Read Lorna Doone when I was about 14, brilliant book.

I'm currently reading within my own genre at the moment: The Taming of Ryder Cavanaugh by Stephanie Laurens.[/quote]
    I hadn't read any of Iain Banks's books before, but Stonemouth is turning out to be a very good story indeed. I definitely want to read more of his.

I've never read Lorna Doone, but a classic I have read is Herman Melville's "Moby Dick.
    I haven't read any of Stephanie Laurens either.
  • [quote=JohnWho63]I haven't read any of Stephanie Laurens either.[/quote]

;)
  • Just finished "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman and will be starting "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey.
  • Jim said that he is reading The Long Earth, Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I read that but didn't think it was as good as his other novels.
  • [quote=Stan2]Jim said that he is reading The Long Earth, Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I read that but didn't think it was as good as his other novels.[/quote]
    Totally agree Stan, I struggled to finish it..
    Just finished Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, now there's a great book, thanks to all who recommended it.
    Now not reading as it's my birthday on Tuesday and I'm getting my Kindle at last:)
  • Oh John, enjoy your Kindle. And have a happy birthday on Tuesday.
  • I've been reading on my ipad short stories by Czech writer Franz Kafka (1883–1924). An interesting writer though his stories are strange, even weird. I bought a rather grubby second hand copy of his short stories while on holiday about three ago in Jaywick in Essex. The print was too small for me so I looked on the internet for eBook or Kindle versions. At times he is similar to Chekov whose short stories I enjoy reading. Chekov is an acquired taste.
  • The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey.
  • The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith

Not sure whether it's quite my thing but the style is holding me at the moment. It's very smooth and effortless.
  • Just finished White Bones by Graham Masterton.

Quite gruesome in places, but a fairly good read.

Just looking at what I've downloaded onto my Kindle and trying to decide what to read next.

Hmmm...

I'll get back to you.
  • Just started American Gods by Neil Gaiman on my new Kindle:)
  • I can recommend that one, Jim. I loved it.
  • So far so good John..
  • The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell

Writers' group exercise: we have two books to read over the summer break and first week back in September we have to present reviews of both books. The library where we meet supplied everyone with both books.
  • From Doon to Death by Ruth Rendall - one of her early novels.
  • Twisted Wing by Ruth Newman Brilliantly clever psychological thriller + police procedural (hope I got that right).