Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What book(s) is everyone reading at the minute?

Comments

• edited September 2017
    On Wattpad, have just come across an author called pdworkman who writes tales about teens on the margins. 'Tattooed Teardrops' is one of them.

This has fired up my imagination as this story is much more interesting than just 'vanilla romance', methinks..
  • 11.22.63 by Stephen King. Very unimpressed at the start, but halfway in, it's growing on me.
  • Not enjoying the style of writing in the book I am reading (see above).
  • Publisher: Penguin
    Author: Mohsin Hamid
    Title: The Reluctant Fundamentalist
  • Thanks for the reminder of this book. Have been flirting around it for some time. To reflect on an ‘outsider’s’ view of the West, particular, America. Tempted to download this now. Challenging read, no doubt.
  • I think it was on the Man Booker longlist.
  • 2007, it was..
  • Loved IT... i haven't read any S king for yonks.
    He has written some excellent stuff in past few years.

The Mr Mercedes trilogy is a rather good thriller. Not his usual horror (ish) stuff.

Also, Joyland and the follow up to The Shining are good reads too.
    Ooh, thank you, I shall look out for those. He has such an easy to read style.

The Shining scared me to death though.

I like the more gentle ones... the almost sci fi.

• Questions of Travel. Michelle de Kretser. It's good, and an exhaustive examination of travel and tourism, but I'm not connecting with the characters. Book group choice so ploughing on.
  • Home by Harlan Coben.
    Snap!
  • Have just started "Sleeping Beauties", the latest Stephen King written with his youngest son, Owen King.
    Fab so far. But, then, most of his work is fab. That's why he's the King.
  • Bourbon Creams and Tattered Dreams by Mary Gibson. Picked this up in my local library. The title intrigued me and I like Bourbon biscuits. I have to say it is a good read so far and no I don't have a packet of bourbons to hand while reading it.
  • Are there crumbs in the pages?
  • Have just started "Sleeping Beauties", the latest Stephen King written with his youngest son, Owen King.
    Fab so far. But, then, most of his work is fab. That's why he's the King.
    I didn't know he had written with his son, Kramer. I grew up on his work and devoured every book. I particularly enjoyed his short stories. One of my favourites of his was in fact written with Peter Straub "The Talisman" - I've probably raved about in on here already! Mind you, I was about 17-18 when I read it, so I might not find it as impressive now. There was a follow up called The Black House (or The Dark House?) which was okay, but not just as captivating, in my opinion.

Speaking of black houses, I've just been handed Peter May's 'Coffin Road' to read. I bought it for my mum as she loved his Lewis trilogy after I recommended it to her (of which The Black House was the first) Looking forward...

• Thinking about what Liz said few posts before, a book by King that I also enjoyed but didn't think I would because it wasn't a horror story was 'The girl who loved Tom Gordon'. It's about a girl who gets separated from her family on a hiking trip and I remember being totally engrossed in it. Might be right up your street, Liz. If I remember correctly it was quite a thin book, almost a novelette.
  • I enjoyed that one too
  • 'The Trespasser' by Tana French.

Good beginning, slow middle. Yet to reach the end.
  • Publisher: Ebury Press
    Author: Gallagher, S.
    Title: The Kingdom of Bones
  • 'Property' by Valerie Martin. Winner of the Orange prize 2003.
    It's not as 'writerly' as I was expecting, but it's pretty compelling reading.
  • Thinking about what Liz said few posts before, a book by King that I also enjoyed but didn't think I would because it wasn't a horror story was 'The girl who loved Tom Gordon'. It's about a girl who gets separated from her family on a hiking trip and I remember being totally engrossed in it. Might be right up your street, Liz. If I remember correctly it was quite a thin book, almost a novelette.
    Thanks, Seaview, sounds like I will!

About to start The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Attwood, for book group.

I have just finished Hospital High by Mimi Thebo, my old tutor. It's a YA book. She read us a passage from it in 2006 and I could recall every word, so well was it written. It must have been very hard to write and a very hard book to sell as it is mainly autobiographical. Mimi has a scar running up her neck and talks with difficulty. This is the story of what happened. It's absolutely riveting.

• Reading a book called ‘The Industries of the Future’. It examines the specific fields that will shape our economic future over the next ten years, including robotics, artificial intelligence, genomics, cybercrime and the impact of digital technology. It’s a fascinating read that should proud illuminating too. My mind’s ‘salivating’ at the thought of tasting the factual morsels within this book. Should prove a very exciting and satisfying meal..
  • Reading an old Paul Theroux book containing shorts travel pieces and old articles from when he was in Africa. He was a brilliant writer and essayist even when he was a youngster.
  • Just finished The Vanishing Point by Val McDermid. Really enjoyed it. Great twist at the end.
  • Dark Matter - Blake Crouch. Superb!
  • Reservoir 13, Jon McGregor - only first chapter but so far so very good.
  • Dark Matter - Blake Crouch. Superb!
    That's on my list!

Just finished In a Cottage in a Wood by Cass someone (Green?) - very good.

Just started The Love Song of Queenie Hennessy - but it's so heavy with sadness that I can only read small chunks.

Interspersing it with non-fiction about brain surgery - No Harm Done by Henry Marsh.
  • I loved Queenie
  • Just finished 'Silent Wife' by the late A.S.A. Harrison. Good psychological thriller.
  • Just started reading Terry Pratchett's 'A Slip of the Keyboard'. A kind of chronicle of his life, fact not fiction. One chapter and I've already laughed out loud.
    I shall ration myself to one chapter per day to make it last.
  • Woo hoo, shout out to Rich Hawkins!
  • It was TB playing up, sending me to an old page where someone mentioned his books.
  • My copy of Dark Matter has arrived.
  • I like Terry Pratchett's books, Lizy. An author similar to Pratchett is Michael Logan. His books are humorous, thoughtful,with horror added on to them. Recommend him highly..

Read 'Dark Matter', TN. Be great to see a film of this. It's joyfully absurd and lots of fun. Clever writer...
  • Didn't enjoy Kingdom of Bones because the hero behaved unheroically.
    I prefer non-fiction at the moment.
    Publisher: Profile Books
    Author: Parks., T.
    Title: Medici Money
  • Finished 'Dark Matter', wasn't disappointed. Lived up to all expectations.

About to start 'Dead Woman Walking' by Sharon Bolton - I've been recommended to take note of Chapter 12 by my OH. I'm intrigued.
  • Recently finished a great little mystery/crime novel by Irish lawyer Andrea Carter called Death at Whitewater Church and have almost finished Coffin Road by Peter May. Both unputtdownable :D
  • Puclisher: Abrams NY
    Author: Meller, S.
    Title: Russian Textiles Printed Cloth for Bazzars of Central Asia
  • Just downloaded ‘Moral Philosopy’ by Joseph Rickaby. That subject fascinated me and there are lots of dilemmas in life that still puzzle me. Maybe i’ll Find some insights, answers in this book...
  • Publisher: Harper Perennial
    Author: Fletcher, S.
    Title: Oystercatcher
  • The Haiku Seasons - William J Higginsons
  • Publisher: Phaidon
    Author: Ross,D., Groys, B., Blazwick, I.
    Title: Ilya Kabakov
  • Finally finished The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy, and feeling very sad.
  • It made me cry. I usually guess the endings but didn't guess that.
  • Was sad, that one.

Reading the End of Mr Y atm.
  • Just finished Search for the Light (An Australian Saga) by Rosemary Noble.

Tells of female convicts transported to Australia in the early 1800s.

Nice, compelling story, but unfortunately riddled with typographical and punctuation flaws that escaped the editing process; the effect disturbing the story flow.

The story line though, is sufficient to see me purchase the sequel ('The Digger's Daughter') when released.
  • Publisher: WINDgather PRESS
    Author: Williamson, T.
    Title: Suffolk's Parks and Gardens
  • Publisher: Frances Lincoln Limited
    Author: Fell, D.
    Title: 'The Magic of Monet's Garden'
    Millions of marigold, gladioli galore, wondrous waterlilies etc.