Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Royal wedding- talk about it and celebrate here

edited April 2011 in Off-topic
So what colour do you think the Queen will wear and Camilla? I think the Queen will wear a shade of pink and Camilla maybe green
And will Catherine wear a tiara? I think so.

Comments

• *sighs*

I'm too excited, I really am. I expect to spend tomorrow morning in tears - of joy, obviously.

Can you imagine how her father will feel as he walks her down the aisle? What a wonderful memory.
  • Yes and what about her brother who is doing a reading he must be so nervous, brave of him.
  • I would love it if after the 'I dos' and kiss Kate's dress lit up with hundreds of L.E.Ds big fat gypsy style.
  • Do you think they'll tape it to watch later?

ST, you'll be watching it with us?
  • Yes I am sure they will and it will be on TV again.
    Would you like to be one of those people camped outside Westminster?
  • I reckon Kate will wear that tiara that the Queen and Princesses Margaret and Anne wore- think it was Queen Mary's.

Wouldn't surprise me if her hair is down with flowers threaded into it. If she has a train then it will be short.
    The dress simple style but with decoration.
    Queen in pale mauve. Camilla in pink...

I will be watching. (I was in Stratford Upon Avon when Charles and Diana married. At an antenatal appointment when Andrew and Sarah Ferguson got married.)
  • Would you like to be there outside the abbey?
  • No, you get a much better view at home on the telly and the kettle and loo are nearer too. :)
  • We are going to spend the day at the seaside, strolling along the sands. Nothing against the Royals, but don't particularly want to watch the ceremony. The radio 4 news will do me fine - and no doubt my other half will take his laptop with him so we can always watch if we change our minds!
  • Not sure, might look in at beginning but we have a village dog walk for those not bothered - others are going to the church to see it on big screen, dressed in their own wedding gear!! and there's a champagne fun thing at the pub after or a ticketed lunch elsewhere, and also a massive hog roast and knees up and fun evening with music which is free to anyone who wants to go in the village.

BB, I saw a thing the other day where a cook was saying after Ds and Cs wedding, the Queen and two others, can't recall who, lined up on a sofa and watched a tape of it all, eating a fry-up. Really true.
  • [quote=SilentTony]I would love it if after the 'I dos' and kiss Kate's dress lit up with hundreds of L.E.Ds big fat gypsy style. [/quote]

My best friend actually did that in 2001. It was a hoot. They got married in - oh gosh - posh Council Offices in East London somewhere: beautiful building it was. She was wearing pink tulle - I mean, frothily wonderful it was! After the vows - and still standing before the registrar, she pressed a button and lit up like a Christmas tree, dress, veil, in all different colours. It was such a surprise. Even hubby was taken aback. It was a scream and it looked wonderful.
  • I'm really looking forward to the pomp and circumstance. I'm going over to a girlfriend's tomorrow and about half a dozen of us are going to scrutinise the fashion, no doubt with alcoholic refreshment to keep us going.
  • I'm celebrating by covering my entire body in bunting.

I think it is very loyal of Wills to commemorate the royal family's nazi sympathies by getting married on the same day as Adolf and Eva.
  • PBW that sounds fantastic. I know a wedding is a serious statement of commitment but I think people do lose the sense of fun and frivolity that it should also contain. I always think the wedding and reception offer a rare glimpse into how the marriage will be between the couple.
  • Can someone please tell me what time the wedding is going to be?

Only I am driving out into the countryside tomorrow and would appreciate knowing when the roads are likely to be clear.
  • [quote=flyingtart]I'm celebrating by covering my entire body in bunting. [/quote]
    :)

Poor chap - he probably hadn't even thought of that.
  • edited April 2011
    I don't know if they were having her on or whether they genuinely believed it but some of my sister's college friends convinced her that the Royal Wedding was today.

And it was just the bank holiday tomorrow.
  • edited April 2011
    Kateyanne started this thread for people who are looking forward to the royal wedding, so try not to make unsuitable comments!

Exits stage left ..
  • Our 'little' village hog roast celebration has 280 people coming (only 240 live in the village!) Oh and the TV cameras too - must go and get my beauty sleep. I haven't a thing to wear ;)
  • I re-read Chippy's comment, then had to have it confirmed to me - yes it IS a bank holiday tomorrow.

I honestly didn't know that.
  • [quote=Jenny]Kateyanne started this thread for people who are looking forward to the royal wedding, so try not to make unsuitable comments!

Exits stage left ..[/quote]

Don't think anybody has to be fair. The thread is being treated in the manner in which it was intended. On a technical point the thread is actually asking for people to talk about it, it doesn't give any restrictions on what that talk may be, then it's asking for people who want to celebrate it after that.
  • Dora, Kate is due at the Abbey at 11.am.
  • Ooh that's good. Just about right timing for a clear road.

Thanks Carol.
  • Isn't it Cate?
  • Well as she's a Catherine, yes it should be.
  • My Grandma was Catherine and her short name was Kate. So not sure it always follows.
  • If it's as nice a day as today we will be out making the most of it, hopefully visiting Ness Gardens where we are members. We will catch the highlights on the news I expect. i hope it doesn't rain for them as is forecast.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm still loving the way the media is claiming she's going up the aisle a commoner and coming out a princess. Yes I know by commoner they mean unconnected to any nobility but come on. This is no glass slipper and pumpkin carriage tale. If she's ending her life of a commoner tomorrow then I'm ending my life as a duck-billed platypus in the next three minutes.

I feel sorry for them in a lot of ways. Yes they may love each other now, or have a form of love, but is that enough? Not only is this a high pressure and high profile marriage it is also the marriage that HAS to survive. Now if either of them wants out do they make a deal where they can see their new partner while maintaining a facade of togetherness for the sake of the monarchy like Charlie Boy did, or do they bail?

Because if this one ends in divorce it won't just be the end of a marriage, it'll be the end of the monarchy in this country. That is too much pressure for one couple to take for a lifetime. The kind of pressure that may even create cracks in the marriage they need to keep cemented. I hope they remember they are just one cat and one chick who dug each other to hitch up because to be apart made them get the blues.
  • Well I'm all set for a great day. Think I will follow it on BBC rather than ITV not sure.
    Can't wait to see the dress.
    None of us can see the future and what may happen but that applies to all marriages not just this one. Whatever will be will be.
    And for those of you who have the day off and aren't bothered about it well go and do some gardening or something and don't rain on their parade!
  • I'm excited too! I think I'm going to follow the wedding on the BBC. I think the Queen will be in light blue and that Kate will have a very modern, long and quite fitted dress with a little tiara.

William and Kate have known each other for eight years and it feels so right that they have taken the time to form a solid relationship and are marrying each other for love. They have probably thought through this relationship, marriage and their future more than most other couples on the planet ever have. I wish them all the best and feel confident in their ability to survive the pressures of royal life. They've already had cracks in their relationship, faced them and come out stronger for it.

Let's raise a glass for the soon-to-be happy couple - a champagne breakfast!

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv35/girlfriday31/champagnetoast.jpg
  • Thanks gf I'll join you in that! To william and Catherine.
  • I'll join you in that GF.
    To William and Catherine (the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge).
  • very good wish to both of them! I am told, from a reliable spirit, that they will be truly happy together.
  • seen some of the pics on BBC News, very impressed, beautiful dress and the radiant happiness coming from her is tangible! And confidence too. She's taken on a huge role and seems to be handling it well.
  • It was a fairy tale wedding, lovely. She looked gorgeous and he didn't look too bad.
    The Queen looked very happy now for that kiss!
  • Just hope she remembers to wear her seatbelt if she ever visits Paris.
  • What did Posh have on her head?
  • Most expensive fashion show ever. I've enjoyed it though - nothing better than taking the p*** out of rich people.
  • I thought Mrs Cameron looked lovely 'didn't she do well'
  • Sam Cam is a traitor.
  • Who's Sam Cam?
  • Dave's wife, Samantha Cameron.
  • Ah - thought it was some kind of filming device.
  • Enjoyed it, dressed in my red white and blue shorts and blue top! unusual choice of music to enter by but very nice. liked all the hymns and the anthem sung during the signing of the register. Watched on BBC, but ITV seem to be doing after wedding better than Beeb. Thought her dress was lovely, and that her brother read the lesson extremely well. Amazed at the number of people who were invited who didn't know the hymns! felt that the young bridesmaids should have carried train not her sister
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=pixie J. King]it's showing the world what we can do.[/quote]

Showing the world what we can do is about invention, industry, entrepreneurial skills and great thinking. It is not about some inbred nobodies having a massive day out paid for by the public.

[quote=pixie J. King]If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say it at all.[/quote]

I agree with that maxim on a personal level. But this is an institution so we actually have the right and some, including me would say a duty to say what we feel as a counter argument. If we held that thought then we would be living in a totalitarian state right now. The point of democracy is to say what you think and feel about institutions and people in power especially if you don't agree with them.
  • i switched over to see ot for a few mins, she looked lovely and i do wish them all the best in life.
    i couldn't live my life in the public eye like they have to, but thats there choice and i hope it works out for them :)
  • edited April 2011
    Yes, St, but it doesn't have to be on this thread does it?

If you're going to start on about rights of free speech again then I can't disagree, but please start your own thread and stop being a party pooper on this one.

Me, i'm having a lovely day.
  • maybe st could start his own have a moan thread then it doesn't bring down happy threads ?
  • I mus be going blind, I can't see pixie's comments anywhere...
  • I loved the dress. That lace was so pretty and the design so elegant. I held my breath when William almost looked like he wasn't going to get the wedding ring to fit on Kate's finger. He looked quite nervous but she looked very confident and a natural royal.

What did Beatrice have on her head though? No wonder she needed to lean so far forward in the car!

The carriage procession also was amazing. I'm glad the weather stayed good. It was a beautiful wedding and judging by the hoards of crowds in London, it's been a very popular and profitable event.