Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Royal wedding- talk about it and celebrate here

Comments

• I was wondering how many people here had a party in their road? Where I used to live we had a big party for the silver jubilee in 1977 and also the royal wedding in 1981. There wasn't a single street party in my town. It was very festive in our supermarket though.
  • Thanks GF for your post above.

My son went to a street party, there wasn't one here but we are in a block of flats.

Did you see 24 million people tuned in to watch the wedding!
  • no party here. It's not that kind of road, mostly commercial so we don't know the few residents who live along here. There was a big party in the Community Hall in Wootton Bridge, not that far away, which I know people there were looking forward to. At least one house there was flying the Union flag with the royal couple's portrait on it and a house here in Ryde, a big one, hung bunting all over it.
  • [quote=kateyanne]Did you see 24 million people tuned in to watch the wedding! [/quote]

And that's only the ones in the UK! I bet the worldwide audience viewing figures were stunning. I mean, is there any other country in the world whose royal wedding we would be interested in, let alone lots of other countries? I think the fact that our royal family is so popular is a really positive thing for this country, not to mention our tourist industry. The Australian TV crew said that they had never sent such a big team over to the UK for any other event before. I'm really pleased that so many other nations wanted to share and enjoy our royal wedding day with us.
  • My post has dissapeared. Did I break the rules or something?
  • The page boys were sweet, the dark haired one was quite chatty with the Queen on the balcony. He seemed very confident.
  • Which post? This is the last one from you that I can see:

[quote=cath]I absolutely loved yesterday. I was feeling the love all day. It took me back to the day Diana married Charles. She would have been so proud. I also have high hopes that Princess Catherine will be a great role model for all the young girls today. Their more recent role models have been Big Boobs Jordan, Kerry Katona , and the like. Let's hope that Catherine, with all her class and syle, can be a real inspiration for the young girls and women today. I also think that William and Catherine will do great things for the Royal Family. They are modern and appear very nice. A friend of mine knows someone who works with William and knows him well. Apparently he is a really nice person.[/quote]
  • I can see your post cath! if you mean the one that mention kerry katona?
  • Watched it with friends at a special 'all day' wedding party. Bucks Fizz on arrival (us and the couple) croissants for breakfast. Cava while the service was on and Pimms for the balcony scene. Brilliant day, no computers in sight, they make a gorgeous couple and this time it was easy to see they are couple 'in love' -what a wonderful occasion. Lots of good luck to them for their future. Glad most people on here thought it was worth celebrating too :)

1 point though-were Beatrice and Eugenie dressed for a bet??
  • [quote=writebag]Time for us happy people who love our country to fight back![/quote]
    I didn't watch the wedding and have deliberately kept out of this debate but I do take exception to the inference that anyone who doesn't support the royal family doesn't love England.
  • My sincere apologies, ST and I mean it too. We have all had our moments and I am truly sorry for what I said. - you are right, I have been miserable about my mother and i am sorry I berated you. Let us all lay down our swords and turn them into constructive ploughshares, giving support to one another. Again I am sorry ST.
  • (I agree with the sentiments of your post girlfriday and I might have supported your stance were it not for the fact that some people seem unable to "celebrate" the wedding without putting down those who don't. It's not right to request that a thread be exclusive to those who want to celebrate if those same people are incapable of doing so without regard to other peoples' choices. Why should anyone be expected to be criticised without right of response?)
  • Patrick, I'm sorry if I inferred in any way that I was putting down people who don't want to celebrate the wedding. I agree it's a personal choice, and in no way correlates to whether someone loves their country or not. I also agree that people have a right of response if they are being criticised and would never want to stand in the way of free speech.

I was just saying that the original tone of the thread seemed to have been diluted by other arguments that might be better aired on another thread. Of course people can choose to come on to this thread and say whatever they want, but it didn't seem to be causing anyone much pleasure, which was the original point of this thread.

I hope that clears things up. I don't want to offend anyone.
  • [quote=girl friday]is there any other country in the world whose royal wedding we would be interested in[/quote]
    I can't speak for any of you in the UK but our lot downunder had a vested interest in Prince Frederik of Denmark and Princess Mary's wedding a few years ago, of course, because she's an Aussie girl. ;)
  • Girl friday - there is absolutely no need for YOU to apologise - as I wrote earlier, I agree with your sentiments and applaud your attempt to bring this thread back to being a more positive one. If all posts were as inoffensive as yours there would be no need for any sort of moderation - the diplomatic service could learn from you! :)

Unfortunately, although the majority of people who have posted here have genuinely been celebrating the wedding, there is a minorty who seem to think it is okay criticise others for not sharing their views. Silent Tony's views, at one extreme, have be criticised so it is only right that Dorothy D and writebag, at the other extreme, can face their critics too.
  • Casual yet some participatory observation summing up: a traditional battle between the Royalists and the Republicans - good job Oliver Cromwell isn't alive
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=SusieM]writebag wrote: Time for us happy people who love our country to fight back!
    I didn't watch the wedding and have deliberately kept out of this debate but I do take exception to the inference that anyone who doesn't support the royal family doesn't love England. [/quote]

My apologies SusieM, for some reason I assumed everyone who loved their country was as enthusiastic about the monarchy that has made it so great as I was.
    We all have our own opinions it was the relentless responses of one person that had me shouting from the rooftops and waving my flag patriotically!
  • As I said I am sorry if we let fly at you and at least you had the honesty to admit being a republican.It is not so much enjoying weddings per se and by no means exclusive to being a republican but it is obviously and sadly,the Royal side of it is a thorn in your side, ST. Really though, had you not noticed that on the TV, amongst the ardent Royalists, were the young - Republicans are a minority although you may have a different view

Dorothy[my daughter, an (up to now) devoted Republican]

That in my opinion, does not quite equate with a true republican if she really enjoyed the spectacle of the Royal wedding.] I might be wrong but how many people who say they are devoted Republicans are not and just saying these things for a good old gripe I just find it sad, that is all, very sad and I actually feel sorry for them.
  • oh it does, Woll, it does. She enjoys a wedding as much as any of us and the sheer spectacle of this one made it a day she could enjoy. I think she was up front and honest about it. She took the time out to go and watch it with a 96 year old lady who is almost blind and totally deaf, her boyfriend loaned the old lady a very large HD TV so she could at least see the colours and occasionally faces, and together the two of them had a wonderful time.

My daughter does not gripe, she understands only too well that we have a monarchy, that it would be difficult to do without it. She understands the law of succession, and berates those in newspapers who ask stupid questions about should the Queen and Charles stand aside and let William take over ... wars have been fought over two living kings. I should know, it is the mainstay of my writing! She understands the meaning of a republican but is realistic enough to know it won't happen, unlike many. And so she had a wonderful day. I can't see anything wrong with that at all.
  • [quote=girl friday]Can anyone who wants to return to the debate about the royal family, or anything else, please bump up the old thread or start a new one? We are trying to have a party here! [/quote]

I agree which is why I didn't start one on here, urged others not to and restrained myself from doing so unless attacked.

[quote=girl friday]I was just saying that the original tone of the thread seemed to have been diluted by other arguments that might be better aired on another thread.[/quote]

Again I agree with this and again it was started by pro-royalists and not people like me who actually as a die hard anti-royalist and republican came on here and only wished well to people (NOT what they represent) on their special day.

[quote=writebag]My apologies SusieM, for some reason I assumed everyone who loved their country was as enthusiastic about the monarchy that has made it so great as I was.
    [/quote]

That kind of assumption is what makes arguments like the ones we saw so inevitable though. I love my country, though I'm not patriotic to it first. I'm patriotic to my city first, my nation second and my country third. I personally believe the monarchy makes us less great and weaker. I'm shocked if you really believed that all people in this country thought the monarchy was a good idea or if they didn't it somehow made them love this great nation less. That is beyond naive. No offence but it really is a vast and diverse place out there you know.

[quote=Woll22]but it is obviously and sadly,the Royal side of it is a thorn in your side, ST.[/quote]

Nope you are wrong Woll. They are not a thorn in my side they stand against all principles of what I believe a democracy should be. They serve no real purpose beyond their celebrity, and we seem to bemoan that culture enough in our society and vastly on this site too. I have nothing against a single person of that family on a personal level as I have never met one. The Queen seem like a lovely and kind woman, William and Kate seem like a genuine couple who have a great life ahead of them full of love and sharing with the world. The rest make the scandals we lock up MPs for now seem trivial so I wouldn't spit on them if they were on fire. (I would really because I'm a humanist and it was only an expression before anybody jumps on my back). It is what they represent that I don't care for and I only feel so strongly about it BECAUSE I love my country.

However Woll your apology and your explanation are gladly accepted. Please don't worry too much about it either.

I guess my main concern was that I was dragged into a couple of arguments yesterday, one on here the other on the Weird thread. Neither was started by me and I was polite and insightful in both. Yet somehow there seemed to be a ganging up and a great hypocrisy at work. A great consensus treating me as having no right to reply and anything I did say being able to be twisted or used as a reason to insult on a personal level seemed to gather momentum.

I understand that people are passionate about things being a very passionate person myself. However I have never resorted to personal attacks, campaigns of targeting ideas or the pursuit of ghettoisation of others opinions. I don't mind being confronted or having my ideals or ideas deconstructed and inspected if I enter into a debate with strong views. I do mind the things I have mentioned and the assumption that because I have no faith in some things means I have no faith in all things.

I hope people understand that and realise when they look back through the posts, as Woll has done, that I never started nor inflamed any arguments here. It was quite the opposite in fact.
  • [quote=SilentTony]I guess my main concern was that I was dragged into a couple of arguments yesterday, one on here the other on the Weird thread. Neither was started by me and I was polite and insightful in both. Yet somehow there seemed to be a ganging up and a great hypocrisy at work. A great consensus treating me as having no right to reply and anything I did say being able to be twisted or used as a reason to insult on a personal level seemed to gather momentum. [/quote] -

that is also my concern, Silent Tony, and the sole reason I commented on both threads. Double standards are apparent - not only in those making the offending posts but in those colluding by dint of their silence and tacit acceptance of the same. Were Silent Tony's name to be appelled to writehag's and Dorothy's posts he would have been treated with derision. What's sauce for the goose certainly isn't sauce for the gander here.
  • [quote=Patrick] but in those colluding by dint of their silence and tacit acceptance of the same. [/quote]

Patrick, will you please explain what this means? Only a thickie like me doesn't know what it is you're saying.

Thanks.
  • Just because someone doesn't comment Patrick it does not imply tacit acceptance of anything.
  • edited April 2011
    [quote=Carol]Just because someone doesn't comment Patrick it does not imply tacit acceptance of anything.[/quote]

No it doesn't and you are right. But if I may, and please let me know if I've stepped on your toes Patrick, in this (these) instances it seemed to be the case. At least to me. The fact that hardly anybody stood up (but a few did and I'm really grateful for that) or stood in seemed odd and did make it feel like it was the consensus. Now that's fine if people are exempting themselves from the discussion, but when you elect to participate in something where the main theme seems to be driven with a hard line against an individual and/or using techniques designed to alienate or offend that person, then surely there is some degree of complicity.
  • Dora, I know from your posts that you're far from a thickie. I'm sorry I did not express myself more clearly.

In no way did I intend to imply that those who chose not to contribute to the thread or who chose to contribute to the celebratory nature of it, were colluding in anything. My comment referred to those who contributed posts solely to berate Tony for his contribution then chose to say nothing when other people made inflammatory comments.

[quote=Carol]Just because someone doesn't comment Patrick it does not imply tacit acceptance of anything. [/quote] -

absolutely, Carol. But when someone does choose to comment, as you did, to ask Tony to stop spoiling the thread but doesn't ask the same of others who are making inflammatory statements, it does look like double standards. When it happens repeatedly, as was happening yesterday, it looks like something worse.
  • Patrick, I have hardly been at home today or Thursday either. Friday I had limited access to the computer. This is why I am only on Talkback now and so by the time I have read the comments added since I was last here the discussion have moved on. This evening I believe there were 54 comments I'd missed.

I stand by the comment I made to ST and if he wishes to report it, or you then go ahead.
    I have a clear conscience.
  • [quote=Carol]I stand by the comment I made to ST and if he wishes to report it, or you then go ahead.[/quote] -

I don't understand the basis of this comment, Carol - why would I, or anyone else, wish to report your comment?
  • I have no need or reason to report you Carol. If anything I find you are a one of the most reasonable posters on all the threads you participate in. I think a point was being expressed and was made. I responded to what you said to Patrick because I disagreed with it and thought that maybe you misunderstood or more likely didn't realise the extent to which the tone and content toward me was delivered yesterday.

I did feel like a lot of people were gathering in an assembly against my opinions and some people directed their distaste and disagreement about the way the discussion was being moved sharply in my direction. There was a lot of debate and only the thoughts expressed by myself seemed to be targeted by those who were on the periphery of those discussions as being wrong or inflammatory. As I've said I stared no fires and added no oil. Yet somehow I was cornered by those involved and accused by others who tapped in and pointed fingers of blame only in my direction without reading the full content or gauging the true route of the situation.

I've never and doubt will ever use the report button. I could easily have done it yesterday as some of the bile and low, personal stabs at me warranted it. Those who did it know what they did and I hope that is enough of a caution.
  • We've seen comments lately by members who are put off posting, some put off staying on TB for this very reason. It's not a new situation, and despite the fine sounding speeches of certain individuals it continues. Witch hunts and vendettas against those who disagree. I've said it before and I'll say it again: opinions cannot hurt you. Why do some take it as a personal affront when another person disagrees with them?

As for this thread, it's a sad indictment that this so-called happy occasion has brought out so much hate in the very people who proclaim it a time for rejoicing.
  • Nice to see the official photos are informally formal. The highlights of the wedding are on the 'red button' for a week if anyone hasn't had enough!
  • The official photos are lovely. The photo of them with the pages and small bridesmaids was charming. The Duchess has a hand resting on her husband's leg...:)
  • I saw that too. Lovely.

Earlier today I was at a friend's house and she had her newspaper out, full of lovely photos. There were 10 of us there, men included. The most popular word seemed to be 'stunning'.
  • [quote=Carol]The Duchess has a hand resting on her husband's leg...[/quote]

Is it her hand Carol? Or a spare one out of the Queen's handbag?
  • There are some lovely photos on Daily Mail online if anyone didn't buy a newspaper today. I was wondering who would take the formal pics as Lord Lichfield and Anthony Armstorng Jones used to take the official pics.

I believe that William and Catherine also had someone shadowing them for their own personal photographs.
  • I met Litchfield once. He was on Bold Street taking loads of photos in the summer of girls passing by. I asked what the photos were for and he told me he didn't even have film in the camera. What a cad.
  • Just been looking at those, I think most papers have similar or the same ones. But they're all great.
  • edited April 2011
    I did like the ones Mario Testino took of William and Catherine.
    http://www.mariotestino.com/file/5238
  • Thought her name was Kate.
  • Catherine
  • Katie, like in Price as in Jordan.
  • LizLiz
    edited May 2011
    [quote=SilentTony]So it has come to the point where a ghettoisation of ideas is now being promoted. I don't believe in segregation of any sort so I find that suggestion to be abhorrent. Anyway such anti-egalitarianism would create a brain drain situation like Germany suffered after the division of that nation. I wouldn't want to deny you of my wisdom like that now would I?*[/quote]

Dearest Tony,

You have not said anything hugely aggressive or anti-Royal. But you HAVE said things (about the seat-belt for instance) in such a way as to make the atmosphere/feeling of joy/all that sort of thing diluted.

Thinking about it I have to presume that Pixie made those comments to you by whisper. I think whispered conversations should be kept private - if you have a problem you should answer by whisper or report the whisper. Not bring it on to the forum.

I have come to this thread on many an occasion to find out how everyone has enjoyed the day - in the moment, and reflectively. The celebration, the dresses, the love etc etc. What I have found in the most instance are hectoring comments by you, answering every single tiny thing that has obviously irritated you, which have made reading this thread a complete bore.

I know that you didn't mean any harm at the beginning and were upset by people accusing you of whatever. But in this instance, whist I enjoy your playfulness in the greater part, and on most occasions, I think you have mistaken why people are upset with your comments. It's not because you are a Republican, it's because they just want to have fun on at least one thread and forget the troubles of the world for just a short time.

I'm sure you will answer this comment by a three metre answer which I might die reading before I get to the end. But I'm hoping not!

Edit to say, I just feel that as well as being able to say and answer whenever you want, you need to feel sensitive to the motives behind why people are upset, in this case, just wanting a fun, happy thread, instead of one full of long word battles, which, however you look at it, seem to ensue on most threads at the minute!
  • Heard on the news they're delaying the honeymoon and he's returning to his RAF role next week. They're moving on from the wedding, I suspect we won't be.
  • I will. I got bored with it weeks ago.
  • Liz [quote=Liz!]Thinking about it I have to presume that Pixie made those comments to you by whisper. I think whispered conversations should be kept private - if you have a problem you should answer by whisper or report the whisper. Not bring it on to the forum.[/quote]

Pixie whispered something to me and I responded. She then said something completely different out loud on the forum than that which she said in the whisper. Sure I agree whispers are private and I always, always keep then that way. However if somebody is being deceitful and trying to make me look like a bad guy when they have full knowledge the opposite is true then should I not defend myself? Also I never quoted anything she said and she had previously said the same thing in public too. So I can't see how I have betrayed and confidence. Unlike her who did.

[quote=Liz!](about the seat-belt for instance) in such a way as to make the atmosphere/feeling of joy/all that sort of thing diluted. [/quote]

That was not a joke but a very serious point based on real history. The parallels between her and Di are often being drawn, too much I think, and I am actually truly concerned that if this doesn't work then she may come to some harm. Is it so difficult for you to believe that I am actually concerned about the welfare and safety of another human being?

I think if you check back you'll find that I never brought any anti-royal sentiment in to this discussion and any atmosphere or dilution of celebration was done by others. Why not get your facts straight and reprimand those if you are so concerned about it. Or has the truth become something of a dirty word around here now?
  • I think all in all it was a wonderful day, and i'll admit i wasn't going to watch it but i flicked over just for a minute and i was hooked.
    i think anything that can bring the nation together like the wedding did is an amazing thing and i really hope there are more things that come along again like this.
    i wonder how much attention Harry's wedding will bring ?
  • Sigh. I went through every comment with a fine tooth comb before commenting Tony. You have said nothing wrong, everything fine (as I mentioned) up until you answer what was obviously a provocative whispered message to you by Pixie. After that, and answering that, you got into argumentative phase. All anyone was saying to you and all I'm trying to say is, most people on here just wanted to have a nice, calm, enjoyment thread. Would it have been too much for you just to answer Pixie by whisper and carry on happily thereafter on here?
  • [quote=shellw]i wonder how much attention Harry's wedding will bring ? [/quote]

Depends on the bride. We do like our princesses to behave like princesses, don't we?
  • edited May 2011
    it could be interesting BB, i wonder if they'll eventually just pick someone for him to marry and try to settle him down ?
  • I heard they (a newspaper) were trying to partner him with Catherine's sister. (Someone told me that Catherine had never had her name shortened and didn't like it so I'm refraining from 'Cat/Kate. Being a Katherine myself, something I know will shock you all, and disliking it shortened to Kate, I can sympathise.)
  • [quote=Liz!]Would it have been too much for you just to answer Pixie by whisper and carry on happily thereafter on here?[/quote]

I did at length. She whispered a rather long post to me with many questions, some of which were either asked in an insulting manner and others were hinted at so became loaded questions.

She then chose to disregard the very polite and thoughtful response I gave and came onto the public forum accusing me of very different things. It was as though she was being two people. One who wanted to ask and be answered and one who had an agenda against me. I thought the deceit of that was terrible and the accusation of me making her frightened after writebag then stepped into it giving her fuel was disgusting.

There are a lot of people on here who did a lot of wrong over the past few days Liz, maybe you should be pulling one or more of them up instead of jumping on me purely because I had the audacity to not let lies and insults paint me as a person I am not.