Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Royal wedding- talk about it and celebrate here

1235»

Comments

• [quote=Liz!] something I know will shock you all[/quote]

My life will never be the same again.
  • I've read that her sister Pippa is already in a relationship with a cricketer (might be an England cricketer - but am not sure).

So it looks like the whole Pippa/Harry thing is over before it began.
  • Nor mine. I used to go by the name of Saffron Hermione Gingold-Whassit and I hated it when people shortened my name to Saff Hermione Gingold-Whassit.
  • such a shame, he could do with a nice young girl to keep him on the straight and narrow :)
  • I doubt he'd agree!
  • probably not, although at least he can say he's never boring lol
  • The Sunday Mail (I was asked to get one for my housebound friend) arrived without its souvenir supplement, that was delivered later. The assistant in the newsagents was as busy handing them out to people who had bought the paper earlier (as I had!) as she was taking money for the other papers. Crazy, it costs so much to cross the Solent and bring supplies to the island.

Superb supplement, though, well worth getting.
  • [quote=dorothyd]The Sunday Mail (I was asked to get one for my housebound friend)[/quote]

That sounds almost apologetic Dorothy.
  • [quote=shellw]i think anything that can bring the nation together like the wedding did is an amazing thing[/quote]

I would just like to point out, I am part of this nation and I was not brought together with anyone else because of the royal wedding.

In fact, I took advantage of the fact most people chose not to do much with Friday 29th April except gawp at these people on TV, strangers to me as far as I am concerned, and enjoyed a fab day out with my children.

I can understand why people feel a need to use an event such as this, as a way to forget the worries of the world, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Thought I'd let you all know, I find it odd that a lot of people seem to think everyone in this country, and beyond, choose to think/behave the same way.

Stil, nowt as queer as folk I guess.

All the best

xx
  • Just been to a car boot and come back to see lots of posts here.
    I thought the celebrating would be nearly over by now.
    I am annoyed as I forgot to get my Sunday Mail souvenir I was meant to get one for my sister in America too. Not going out again now.
  • Saw one at my parents. Lovely photos (as you'd expect!) and in a convenient A4 size magazine.
  • [quote=dora]I would just like to point out, I am part of this nation and I was not brought together with anyone else because of the royal wedding.

In fact, I took advantage of the fact most people chose not to do much with Friday 29th April except gawp at these people on TV, strangers to me as far as I am concerned, and enjoyed a fab day out with my children.

I can understand why people feel a need to use an event such as this, as a way to forget the worries of the world, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Thought I'd let you all know, I find it odd that a lot of people seem to think everyone in this country, and beyond, choose to think/behave the same way.[/quote]

I was thinking about ST's comments about the football alongside the comments about the wedding being described as bringing together the nation.

I am not a football fan. I have no interest in it whatsoever and would go out of my way to avoid it. I couldn't even have told you what days England were playing on during the last World Cup, or whatever the most major championship is called (see what a football dumbo I am!?). I took advantage of all the big matches to go shopping as it was so quiet everywhere and a great opportunity to escape the busy times.

However, I did feel that the nation was brought together, to an extent, by the World Cup. There were English flags flying on cars, on houses and an atmosphere (mostly) of unanimity. I didn't want to be part of the football but it felt nice to be in a country that was backing a special event and supporting their football team. I smiled at the patriotic gestures and the united atmosphere. So, although it wasn't something I was interested in, I did feel that as a nation we came together in many ways.

I think national events serve a number of purposes for different people - whether we want to take advantage of the quiet times to spend with family, driving or shopping, or whether we want to join in with the celebrations. No citizens of any nation will choose to think or behave in exactly the same way over an event as it'll have different meanings for them but, for me, not being interested in an event doesn't mean that I don't feel the positive atmosphere that such events create.

I guess that's just how I feel and the most important thing is that people were able to use the extra bank holiday to do the things that meant the most to them. It's rare to get an extra day's holiday so we need to use it to our advantage!
  • I wouldn't normally watch a Royal Wedding on a glorious sunny day but for reasons which may one day become apparent, I'm REALLY glad I took the trouble to get up at 5.30am, drive 300 miles north to be with Ma as she watched it (she loves that sort of thing). I loved it in the end, by the way, and am glad that everything went well. (Except that loose horse trundling back to its mews stabling minus guardsman. Hoss thinks that bit was the best trick of the day)
  • edited May 2011
    [quote=girl friday]for me, not being interested in an event doesn't mean that I don't feel the positive atmosphere that such events create.
    [/quote]

That's absolutely right and is up to the individual whether to bask and delight in that or ignore it. I don't even mean the event itself or the celebration like you mentioned. You see to a great many people football is boring, a nuisance and unfathomable as to why people go so mad during World Cups and Euro comps. Same with the upcoming Olympics I think too

To me as a football fan I even understand that and sympathise with a lot of it. When something like the World Cup is running there is too much TV devoted to it, too much media coverage and too much of it takes up the wallpaper of our ever day lives. To people like me who love it I can't get enough. But believe me I understand how utterly irritating that can be to none football fans and more so to those who don't even want to soak in the celebration and atmosphere.

Then there are a lot of people who dislike what the monarchy represents and how it infringes upon them as citizens. So if we want extra bank holidays let's have them. No need to wait for a wedding, there have been many brilliant days of genius and pride in our history that we could devote a holiday to.To dislike something like a royal wedding isn't going against weddings, or love or celebration. I think those three things alone are beautiful aspects of life. But it is a very deep felt and political feeling that as a country we are celebrating something that's is perpetuating what we thing is flawed and deeply wrong with our country. To me celebrating a royal wedding because it is royal and not because it is a wedding is like supporting the football hooligans and not the football.
  • It made no difference being a bank holiday for me, as the children were off school. I would have gone to where I was going anyway.

I'm just pleased the world and his wife stayed indoors on a glorious day in the school holidays.
  • [quote=SilentTony]So if we want extra bank holidays let's have them. No need to wait for a wedding, there have been many brilliant days of genius and pride in our history that we could devote a holiday to.[/quote]

I think getting an extra bank holiday out of the government is extremely rare! I'd love to be able to order them as and when required but there have been protests against our working hours for years to no avail, and even the suggestion of having an extra bank holiday between August and Christmas doesn't seem popular with our leaders. The Queen is the only person who has managed to swing us an extra bank holiday this year and one next year. I'm just off to write my thank you card to dear Lizzie now. :-)
  • Not everyone was able to take it as an extra bank holiday.

If an employment contract stipulated 'the normal 8 bank holidays' as being paid, an employer was under no obligation to give the day off - with or without pay.

Some NHS staff were in that boat.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Not everyone was able to take it as an extra bank holiday.

If an employment contract stipulated 'the normal 8 bank holidays' as being paid, an employer was under no obligation to give the day off - with or without pay.

Some NHS staff were in that boat. [/quote]

I know. That was very unfair. It was even more unfair that some NHS staff were in that boat as they work for the public sector, whose leader authorised the bank holiday! Very hypocritical and shows where the laws of our country fail us at times.
  • Council workers here got the Friday off, so it seems that not all public sector workers were treated equally.
  • Depends on their contracts. Some had the option of choosing.
  • [quote=SilentTony]I met Litchfield once. He was on Bold Street taking loads of photos in the summer of girls passing by. I asked what the photos were for and he told me he didn't even have film in the camera. What a cad. [/quote]

What, pray, did this add to the let's celebrate the Royal wedding idea? It may be interesting, on one level, but is an unnecessary comment to make. I suggest that if you can't find something nice to say about a person, you don't say anything - particularly as this is not part of the ethos of this thread!
  • i saw a wills and catherine cake in the shop today, it had a lovely picture of them kissing after the wedding on the icing of the cake.
    i guess even the shops are still loving the wedding
  • edited May 2011
    [quote=Lolli]What, pray, did this add to the let's celebrate the Royal wedding idea? It may be interesting, on one level, but is an unnecessary comment to make. I suggest that if you can't find something nice to say about a person, you don't say anything - particularly as this is not part of the ethos of this thread![/quote]

Jesus really, this still the way??????

Somebody mentioned Lichfield as a royal photographer in a previous post on this thread and I made an innocent comment about how I fleetingly met him once taking photos. I thought it was a funny little anecdote. He was actually being photographed taking photos but wasn't taking photos. So I think on a thread that already mentioned him there is nothing out of the ordinary with me mentioning meeting him. How is that an unnecessary comment to make? What are the necessary comments could you post a list for me please.

You may suggest whatever you like to me but I never said anything bad about the man so why say don't say anything if I have nothing nice to say. In fact I actually said something nice about him. Whatever I guess no matter what I write it'll be jumped on now and dissected until it resembles something that can show me in a bad light if you word it well enough.

Funny how you didn't give this lecture to others who very publicly had nothing nice to say about me but chose to anyway.
  • I thought the Lichfield comment was funny. He was a great character and obviously enjoyed his life.
  • edited May 2011
    [quote=SilentTony] I never said anything bad about the man[/quote]

BUT YOU DID!

[quote=SilentTony]he told me he didn't even have film in the camera. What a cad.[/quote]

You called him a cad. It is inappropriate on a celebration thread. celebrating doesn't mean calling people cads. In fact tony, many of your postings are inappropriate on the threads you post them on. you're always saying you're polite, now try to be sensitive as well. You wished the couple well in one comment - that's all you need to do, not follow it up with a diatribe. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I, as well as many others, have tried to point it out politely and gently and you have taken our friendly and well meant remarks as vicious attacks on you. We want to keep this forum friendly. You seem to think it is a debating society and that you must win every debate, upsetting many members as you try to. Most of us come on here for fun, light relief and in the writing topics area help with our writing. We also post when we need support in other ways. what we don't want are arguments
  • How is calling him a cad bad? I was saying it because he was cheeky little fellow. If I meant it as him being horrid or ungentlemanly I'd have said so.

[quote=Lolli]In fact tony, many of your postings are inappropriate on the threads you post them on.[/quote]
    I completely disagree with you and think you have little evidence to support this claim. I am always polite and I am as sensitive too. I'm sorry if some people are so fragile that they feel hurt by the tone they choose to see in my posts.I can''t do anything about that and wouldn't want to anyway.

[quote=Lolli]you have taken our friendly and well meant remarks as vicious attacks on you. [/quote]
    You obviously didn't read the often viscous remarks directed towards me over the weekend then if you live with that delusion.

[quote=Lolli] You seem to think it is a debating society and that you must win every debate, upsetting many members as you try to. [/quote]
    Again would like to point out that I started no debates or arguments. They were all started and perpetuated by others. Again why are you not having a go at them instead of me?

Don't bother letting the truth get in the way of your personal agenda towards me will ya.
  • edited May 2011
    ST - I do enjoy most of your posts and will defend your right to free speech, but let's let this go now please (and everybody else). Not every light-hearted thread needs to turn into a big debate, and this is already far far off-topic.

On-topic or new thread please!
  • Webbo I appreciate what you are saying but I had already let it go. This was dragged up again by Lolli and I'm sorry if you think I should let erroneous posts about me and what I have written go without reply. I had stepped away from the thread previous to this so feel no need to be asked to do so. I would like to ask why other people haven't been asked to let this go when they are the ones actually carrying it on.

I'd also like to point out that my participation in this thread was light hearted and in the spirit of the thread. It was not me who turned it away from that so why direct that comment and post toward me? I started no debate whether big or small. I was brought into one and used my right to reply. Again I feel it is strange that you only ask me to cease this, which I had previously done anyway, without also asking others to do the same.

Thanks.
  • [quote=SilentTony]This was dragged up again by Lolli [/quote]

exactly!

For goodness sake, the wedding is sooooo last week.

Must be summat new for us all to go on about :)
  • Thank you Dora. A lot of the time this weekend it has felt like people are looking at this through binoculars with one eye closed.

As you say the wedding is so pass
  • I had just logged out but came back to say this, actually, as you're quite right.

Why did Webbo pick on your comment when it was Lolli who started it all off again?

Webbo if you're gonna moderate, at least pick on the right person. It's a bit like at school when the teacher picks on one person and it's never the right one.
  • edited May 2011
    ST - Of course you have every right to defend yourself. I addressed my comments to you as I wanted to make it clear that your comments are generally welcome... and did ask everybody else to let it go too.

My point about turning into a debate (and the "far far off-topic" ) is that this thread, like so many others, is no longer about its original topic, but about whether it is okay for ST to post here with his opinions... and now it is about who started the debate and whether he or she was right to... and now whether I was right to intervene at all. It's not going anywhere so, like I already said, let's move on. Healthy debate is more than welcome here, but I haven't got time to get bogged down in he said/she said nonsense, and I'm surprised any of you do!

[EDIT] to remove accidental smiley
  • [quote=dora]For goodness sake, the wedding is sooooo last week.[/quote]

Yes, time to look for signs of the baby bump.
  • I appreciate that Webbo. Still I do feel it is strange that in the light of all at that has happened (which to me is little more than silliness anyway) that the posts calling for an end to things and asking not to carry on debates was addressed to me when it should have been addressed to others. This is also in light of some of the more nasty elements that have been directed toward me by others which have yet to be public addressed, even though they went against the spirit of the forum to a much greater degree than anything I said or did.

While I agree with you wanting this to fade away now as many of have also wanted and taken steps to do so, it does feel as though I'm the only individual being addressed about any of these matters. Those who did start and keep those debates rolling, often leading them into darker corners were merely addressed in brackets as (and everybody else). This hardly seems like an equal division of responsibility being handed out to all those involved. In my opinion even letting the worst offenders off the hook completely.

While I understand your intervention I do also feel as the voice of authority on here that the words you choose and the people you select to name will carry far more weight and influence the opinion of how this is being viewed by the moderators in the minds of the forum users.

That's all I'd like to say on the matter.

Thanks,
    Tony.
  • Don't want to get drawn in to ST and Webbo's conversation, but as it's not being held in private I will.

ST's correct. Webbo should name everyone he feels has dragged debate into a darker place.
  • No problems Webbo. I understand you must be having headaches with this at the moment so I accept your explanation and apology with good faith.
  • BB and ST - I apologise for unjustly singling ST out. I did not mean to imply that I held him responsible for derailing the thread
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Yes, time to look for signs of the baby bump.[/quote]

In an article I read this afternoon, a journalist compared Catherine's wedding dress to Princess Grace's (as others have done) and then went on to say that while people are comparing the princesses, not to forget that Grace Kelly's first child was born just nine months and four days after her marriage to Prince Rainier. So I take it the 'baby bump' thing has already started! :rolleyes:
  • A lot of American newspapers said she was already pregnant